Waiter, There’s Cat Pee in My Beer (and other funny beer descriptors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanBrewer

Reaction score
Thought I'd share some of these descriptors with the Aussies:

Waiter, There’s Cat Pee in My Beer

I once was at a beer tasting with an Aussie (imagine that), and he reference a product called "Marmite", which doesn't exist in the U.S., to describe the aroma of a beer being sampled. It was a yeasty beer, and of course a central ingredient in Marmite is "yeast". I guess the point is that we all have different reference points depending on where we are in the world, but we're still able to pick out the underlying aroma compound in beer.

Describing a beer as marmite/vegemite is not saying it's yeasty but rather that it tastes like the yeast has undergone autolysis (which happens to the yeast as the spreads are made).

Geez, so that wasn't a compliment! Or perhaps dead yeast tastes/smells good to some folks?

Yeah, definitely a criticism. It indicates poor yeast handling and yeast health, and there is really no circumstances where it's a flavour people will want.

DanBrewer said:
Geez, so that wasn't a compliment! Or perhaps dead yeast tastes/smells good to some folks?
I love it spread thick on cold toast with half an inch of butter. In a pint, not so much!

Borat 4.jpg

I haven't had vegemite for about three years.

Now as a result of this thread It's all I can think of. Yes, Turkish bread cut thinly and fried till crisp in ghee then spread thinly with the tangy spread and eaten warm and crunchy. I'll be dreaming about it all night until the supermarket round the corner opens tomorrow. And being Sunday it will open an hour later than normal.

Why couldn't this have been posted on a weekday?

Promite kid here. Alternate implementation of autolysed yeast spread and toasted Turkish bread is generously spread under cherry tomato halves, fresh basil and top with cheese, back under the griller until the tomato cooks a little- breakfast of champions and not too shabby on a hangover either. B)

I remember a radio contest on the nineties on triple m.
It was called "live in it to win it."

Four contestants were in a car and the last one to leave won the car. They were only allowed toilet breaks.

Three blokes and one girl. One of the bloked was a taxi driver. He was favourites as he spent most of his time in a car.

2 weeks later he had left as he was losing too much money from not driving the cab and another guy missed his family.

Third week in just the guy and girl. Remember they had not showered or changed clothes.

When asked how they were going she said her undies smelt like vegemite on toast.

Whenever I smell vegemite I think of her.

They sold the car a week later and split the winnings.

Back