Waimea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Pedigree
Granddaughter of New Zealand Pacific Jade

Brewing Usage
Dual Purpose

Aroma
Intense tangelo and citrus fruit with subtle pine characteristics

Typical Beer Styles
  • IPA

Additional Information

Released in 2012 from the New Zealand Plant and Food Research Hop Breeding program in Riwaka

Alpha Acids
16.0 - 19.0%

Beta Acids
7.0 - 9.0%

Co-Humulone
22 - 24%

Total Oil
~2.1 mL / 100g

Myrcene
~60% of total oil

Humulene
~9.5% of total oil

Caryophyllene
~2.6% of total oil

Farnesene
~5% of total oil

General Trade Perception
Can be used across a wide variety of beer styles and applications
MOD: Post edited by Lord Raja Goomba I, to insert description at top of topic. Original post below:

Brewers,

We are pleased to announce an exciting brand new hop in stock from NZ Hops - Waimea
I've attached a draft pdf (it's that new) from NZ Hops with their descriptors, but there's little known about it at this stage.
We (Bacchus Brewing Co.) are brewing a single hop Golden Bitter with it next week for some select Brisbane bars & will report back with our findings.
NZ Hops & ourselves look forward the feedback from Australian homebrewers.

With low cohumulone & massive oil content it sounds awesome View attachment Waimea_Data.pdf

cheers Ross

Looks like a 10m IPA with Chinook and Cascade is on the cards.

After I pick up some Galaxy, and attempt to do my S&W PA Clone, Vienna lager and IRA.

Aaargh - too many beers, not enough time (to brew, or even pop down the Gateway to CB).

No one is going to make a point break joke????

ok ok... I will....

"No way Bells is bigger than Waimea bro"

Can someone brew a 50 year storm IPA.... actually screw it... I will.

Im sure this should be a winner as EPIC used it in their NZIPA that was recently released. Used heaps of the hops as per usual. If you have any of that sold over the ditch then give it a try to see how it goes. :beer:

Holding breath and order imminent... now what else can I cram into the post pak :)

(clasps hands in prayer of a 'new' citra)

:beer:

ed: Whats it smell like Ross?

edd: Ordered :)

Im sure this should be a winner as EPIC used it in their NZIPA that was recently released. Used heaps of the hops as per usual. If you have any of that sold over the ditch then give it a try to see how it goes. :beer:

got a bottle of this, as well as the 2012 hop zombie sitting in the fridge as a type this. gonna crack it tonight i will let you know what it think. the press release from epic said that the nzipa is the first beer made using waimea hops, and was brewed even before it had a name.

You bloody ripper!

A new NZ variety......i just cracked massive wood.

Will put an order together pronto!

Sweet, another NZ variety. Just waiting on a 'citra' replacement from NZ to go with Nelson Sauvin and I'll be happy as a pig in mud.

How did I guess Goomba what your hop bill would be with this one! Reports please :p

Ordered 2 packs, Gonna do some sort of apa with them. All additions after 30mins........ F**K! I hope i have enough! :lol:

I'll do one with earlier bittering additions Wallace next weekend and we shoudl swap a couple and compare.

Just put an order in for a pack.

Also ordered some Rakau, and Kohatu. Never used any of them before, but i have constant cravings for other nz hop varieties. (big user of Nelson and B Saaz).

Can't wait to try 'em out.

Probably gonna do something simple like:

Base Malt 95%
Munich I 5%

Waimea to 40-50 IBU's over three additions with half of this at 30mins, the rest split evenly for a flameout, and a cube hop.

No Chilled.

US-05 @ 17deg.

See how it goes.....

Just put an order in for a pack.

Also ordered some Rakau, and Kohatu. Never used any of them before, but i have constant cravings for other nz hop varieties. (big user of Nelson and B Saaz).

Can't wait to try 'em out.

Probably gonna do something simple like:

Base Malt 95%
Munich I 5%

Waimea to 40-50 IBU's over three additions with half of this at 30mins, the rest split evenly for a flameout, and a cube hop.

No Chilled.

US-05 @ 17deg.

See how it goes.....

dont be shy with the rakau, whatever you planned on using, triple it, its a nice flavour, but not much of it comes through in the final product

dont be shy with the rakau, whatever you planned on using, triple it, its a nice flavour, but not much of it comes through in the final product

Awesome, thanks db!

might have to order more of it then!!

while i have you, does that hop schedule (albeit not very adventurous) look ok for those nz varieties?
I typically use schedules like that for ns and bsaaz and it works really well.....but not sure about the rakau, kohatu, or obviously the waimea..

Awesome, thanks db!

might have to order more of it then!!

while i have you, does that hop schedule (albeit not very adventurous) look ok for those nz varieties?
I typically use schedules like that for ns and bsaaz and it works really well.....but not sure about the rakau, kohatu, or obviously the waimea..

i chill my pale ales if i'm after a hoppy beer

if using intense hops, such as citra, i use 1/2g / litre @ 15, 10, 5 & flameout, no dry hop and a bittering addition to total 30 to 35 ibu

if using a less intense hop, increase to 1g / litre @ 15, 10, 5 and flameout, still no dry hop and still bitter to total 30 to 35 ibu

next time i try rakau, i'll use 2g / litre

Got some Waimea today, Looks like a NZ IPA is on the cards..

OG: 1062
FG: 1013

IBU: 80
Colour: 10.8 EBC, maybe a little darker..
ABV: 6.4

Grains: Pale Ale, Vienna, Munich, Wheat

Hops: Waimea, Montuka, NZ Cascade, Nelson Sauvin

Yeast: Wyeast 1272, 18d for one week , 20d for the second

Back