Waimea Hops - Any experiences to share?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickaxe

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got some new hops on the way - Galaxy i know, Nelson Sauvin I don't but there's plenty of discussion here about NS and how to use it, BUT:

What are people's experiences with Waimea?

Just wondering how people are using it, how it's tasting, and whether it would be a good single hop selection? Just thought I'd try something new.

The discussion seemed to have died on the release post >>
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/67675-new-hop-release-waimea-nz/page-4?hl=%20waimea%20%20hops

Did we lose interest? Did it not do much for anyone?

I did this a couple of months back and was planning to dry hop it with maybe 1g/L of Waimea, but on tasting it in secondary, didn't really want any more "waimea" flavour in it.

Can't quite put my finger on it - but I found it didn't really stand out at all. It was just-a-hop. If anything reminds me of the Pac Gem/Jade type hops. No particular flavour pops through - if you're looking for another Citra, it ain't Waimea.

What it's not - it's not Nelson, certainly not D Saaz.

The thing I've really learned about new hop releases is that you will know about the truly amazing releases. If no one's raving except the sellers ... assume mediocrity.

2c worth - maybe others will be lining up for the stuff, but I won't. Others though Kohatu was good when I thought it was bland city. Thing is, D Saaz is still in short supply - pretty sure Kohatu isn't. Actually I know it isn't because .. well, look at the attached price list.

When you see Waimea selling for way, way less than D Saaz per kg you can safely assume it's not going to knock anyone's socks off.

Waimea Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (°P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 5.63 %
Colour (SRM): 5.3 (EBC): 10.5
Bitterness (IBU): 42.9 (Average)

84.62% Pilsner
7.69% Dextrose
7.69% Victory

0.6 g/L Waimea (14.9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Cascade (6.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Waimea (14.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

See attached. Waimea is one of the cheapest NZ hops. Dunno about you guys by if I list the hops in the attachment by order of price decending, that's pretty much my order of favourites. Incidently, a pound of Nelson Sauvin costs AUD$10.25 wholesale (less if you buy more than 1kg)... :ph34r:

View attachment NZHopsPriceList2013.pdf

Should definitely post in the thread you linked to, to keep all the results and discussion in one place..

I'd agree with Nick. It's not a standout hop - nice enough for a PA or IPA.
I'll be using the rest of my supply as a "filler hop" in my NZPAs with Motueka, Nelson, Pacific Jade and Southern Cross.
Epic "First Batch" is brewed with Waimea if you can get hold of that - a nice enough NZIPA but it doesn't stand out.

Good Idea sponge - and with that, I'll move this over to the original thread.

Seems the general consensus is "meh".

Oh well, got my self some cheap, so its all good.

The "new" hops I'm looking forward to are the ones like Nelson, grown in Europe.

That sounds interesting - take a hop with unique characteristics and grow it in a different place. Bit like the hop growing area of NZ grows better Sav Blanc than France.

Imagine Galaxy grown in Hallertau, or Citra grown in Nelson ... in the same way Fuggles grown in the Willamette Valley have their own character. Or Cascade grown in NZ is more tangy.

And why on earth don't thay start crossing Citra with Amarillo!!!!!!!!

Each to there own, I love Waimea. We (Bacchus Brewing Co) did a single hop golden ale & an IPA that where both big hits commercially & it's one of the major hop additions in our Hopilingus IPA that has had rave reviews :)

Cheers Ross

care to share a recipe Ross?

Not asking for your commercial recipe but an insight as to timing for additions or something?

:icon_cheers:

Ross said:
Each to there own, I love Waimea. We (Bacchus Brewing Co) did a single hop golden ale & an IPA that where both big hits commercially & it's one of the major hop additions in our Hopilingus IPA that has had rave reviews :)

Cheers Ross
What do you love about it, Ross?

Nick,

It has a big resiny tropical mango character, which we found a refreshing change from the grapefruity C hops.
Worked great on its own & we blended it with Mosaic, Galaxy & Nelson in our Hopilingus.

Ross said:
Nick,

It has a big resiny tropical mango character, which we found a refreshing change from the grapefruity C hops.
Worked great on its own & we blended it with Mosaic, Galaxy & Nelson in our Hopilingus.
Hmmm, maybe I didn't use enough. To me it was like they'd bred Pacific Jade with Southern Cross.

Cheers Ross
sounds like a good enough reason to do a smash with this hop myself in the future.
o,t here but looking at what you have on tap (at the bottom of your page)is a good enouhg reason to visit QLD in the future.never been there,just have to convince the better half... cheers..spog..

Nick JD said:
Hmmm, maybe I didn't use enough. To me it was like they'd bred Pacific Jade with Southern Cross.
Currently drinking a pale ale with 1.5g/L Waimea @10 and 0 min and dry hopped and it stands out nicely.
I consider this 1.5g/L to be low but it used up a 90g packet in 20L. I often use 2 or even 3g/L at these same times for US hops including Citra.

Nick if you want to get hops out of a beer maybe try putting some in to start with. It is hardly surprising nothing stood out @ less than 1g/L at 15min only!

spog said:
o,t here but looking at what you have on tap (at the bottom of your page)is a good enouhg reason to visit QLD in the future.
you might wanna ring first and get an update.. does say last updated in 2011 ;)

ed: I have tried some of those beers at the scratch and were very nice, the missus had to drag me away from there :lol:

beachy said:
Currently drinking a pale ale with 1.5g/L Waimea @10 and 0 min and dry hopped and it stands out nicely.
I consider this 1.5g/L to be low but it used up a 90g packet in 20L. I often use 2 or even 3g/L at these same times for US hops including Citra.

Nick if you want to get hops out of a beer maybe try putting some in to start with. It is hardly surprising nothing stood out @ less than 1g/L at 15min only!
It's a Citra recipe (that abounds with tropical goodness) with the Waimea subbed for Citra. Was supposed to get 1g/L of dry hops (the same as the Citra recipe that's a corker) but I just couldn't do it at that stage.

Guess I was hoping for something with more PAZAZZ. And now I feel gay for using that word, but it's really the word that needed to be used.

FWIW I got pineapple from a 10min addition of Waimea hops.

I have an american wheat in the fermenter CCing - all waimea at the moment. Fermenter tastings are disappointing, not much flavour/aroma?

It's been a few months since the above, are there more people that can share their experiences?

Back