Waimea Hops - Any experiences to share?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I used it, didn't really give anything of character from what I can tell other than "muddying the waters". Didn't try at 10 minutes though, might take above suggestion and use at 1g/l and see what it brings in conjunction with something else. 0 gained from dry hop add that something else would punch at. Kinda expected that though. Not a waste of time, just not a big hitter. Kind of a no ball delivery - might have been a good ball, but it didn't count so wgaf.
That being said, she was used with galaxy and ns which is known to be "muddy" as far as confused flavors. Wasnt the best brew anyway, But I'm only newbie. Interested in pineapple...

To expand on my comment, it was a 10l extract batch with 30g of waimea added at 10 mins - a '10-minute APA' if you will.

Unfortunately it fatally stalled at 1.020 and was never bottled, but much was drunk from the fermenter and the first hit was pineapple, followed by passionfruit with hints of grapefruit. I don't know how strongly the pineapple would have carried over in to a carbed or kegged beer, but I do intend to find out one day.

I'm not experienced enough to say what hops would best compliment waimea, but given the subtlety many are reporting I would be inclined to steer away from the stronger citrus-style hops.

That said, I do have a galaxy pale ale FWK that I'm tempted to dry hop or tea-steep with waimea, just to see how they go (and because the packet has been opened).

I used 10g @ 10, 10 @ 5, 45 @ flameout, and dry hopped 25g for 5 days. (23L batch)
In the keg, great aroma, great taste (I got mango, slight pineapple?)
The ones in the bottle after just a month seem to have lost a lot of the aroma, and as I used smoke malt in the recipe, the smoky flavour seemed to start coming through a lot more.

I like this hop and intend on chucking a bit in an APA or RIPA once my current brew schedule has finished.

Cheers

2 years from the last post of this Waimea judgment. hmmmmm
Simple all grain brewing I try hops by themselves to see what they are. As a simple brewer I have found hops that are good any way you use them. I prefer esters than resin flavors. Waimea are high AA so I made a 38lt lager and a 38lt Ale with 100g Waimea.

The 38lt lager: 20g for 60min = 21ibu. 30g Dry hopped in one of the kegs. This tasted alright drunken prematurely (6 weeks from pitch). Esters yes, slight tartness as a green, earthy character that I thought was the yeast at first. Light flavored beer but gets better in time, then it ran out with some help before its peak, oh well. No favorite of mine though.

The ale I used 25g for 40min and 25g for 3 min = 30IBU. I'm now tasting after 5 days carbed cold in keg the same as the lager. Flavor = Earthy, like dirt! No esters at all. I'm not knowledgeable enough to describe it but its familiar but just cant say. Its awefull though. Slim chance i feel of anything that may have gone wrong with the processes.
$0.02
I guess I'm just learning from experimenting. There's hops that you favor, and hops that you don't.

Drinking this Waimea Ale again. (amateur flavor profiling here). To be the first beer taste on a friday arvo its like someone emptied an ash tray into the fermenter. But! its not at all undrinkable, you can still drink it and after a couple of swigs its just another beer. Then after your taste buds are familiar I now taste the malts that are yummy. So all in all. Its a high AA hop with a unique flavor profile. A good bittering hop with upfront earthy character.
:chug:

one of my cubes today was a NZ hopped pale

83L
OG:1055
Base Bittering: Chinook 30g

Cube 1/3
Wimea 50g
Riwaka 50g
Kohatu50g

Im looking forward to it, I think its a 'plays well with others' sort of hop, from what I recall, similar brews a few years ago were delish.. we'll see if it stacks up nowdays :)

Ok, have to rereport this Waimea Ale again. 15 days cold carbed in the keg now and total mellowing of that harsh dirty flavor. Its still earthy but so much nicer now. Maltyness is coming forward now. I've never had such a dramatic flavor change like this before but just proves that patience is best. An awful tasting green beer at first. Improving every week and now I feel the second (unrefridgerated keg) will be something to look forward to when time comes hmmyaaa. B)
I almost ditched it in haste.

Latest posts

Back