Wai-iti Hops : Anyone Used & Them What Results?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_010

Curry Master
Reaction score
I've got some of these new hops and planning on an APA using them as a flavour and aroma addition. Grain bill is simple, 90% pale malt with 10% cara-amber with the following hop schedule (2.8% AAU hops):

30g 40mins
30g 20mins
30g 10mins

however this only gives me around 16.5 IBUs whereas I'm aiming for around 30. To get the bittering up I can use (US) Magnum or (Ger) Northern Brewer, leaning towards the Magnum.

Has anyone used wai-iti and what are your thoughts on it? Also, what of the bittering hops would better suit wai-iti?

cheers
Barry

Wai-iti are described as intense citrus (mandarin lemon and lime).

EDIT: actually just found a post on these hops through google - might I add the search function on AHB is complete and utter shite, it is next to useless. Still, add your thoughts if you've used wai-iti cheers

If it were me I'd go 30g at flameout, 30g at 15 mins then the magnum at beginning of boil till you hit target IBU. In my experience magnum is a really clean bittering hop. It shouldnt take too much away from the other Wai-iti. That leaves you another 30g of Wai-it to play around with, maybe french press or dry hop.

Also cant remember who posted it but it was on this forum a good way to try out a hop on its own.

90% pilsner
10% wheat
Bittered to 30 - 40 Ibu's
OG 1050
30 gms at 15 mins
30 gms flame out
balance at start of boil to give the target ibu's.

Back