Wa Water Analysis

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat

NULL
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just received the attached water analysis from the Water Corp for the Mount Yokine source which covers my area (Bayswater) and numerous other northern suburbs - and thought it might be of some use to those around here.

It appears to be an average over a couple of years, so it must be seen as approximate, but its a start.

I've got no idea what it means and after reading John Palmer's sections relating to water several times now, I'm not a lot wiser, but I'll keep trying...

View attachment Mt_Yokine_water_analysis.pdf

Hi all,

I just received the attached water analysis from the Water Corp for the Mount Yokine source which covers my area (Bayswater) and numerous other northern suburbs - and thought it might be of some use to those around here.

It appears to be an average over a couple of years, so it must be seen as approximate, but its a start.

I've got no idea what it means and after reading John Palmer's sections relating to water several times now, I'm not a lot wiser, but I'll keep trying...

Nice Goat, where abouts did you get this?

If you dig around long enough on the water website you can find it.

Nice Goat, where abouts did you get this?

From memory you've just gotta contact the water corp.

Having tasted quite a variety of waters in and around Perth, I'm doubtful that these reports are 100% reliable, but as you say - a good place to start, and probs the best we can get here without independent analysis.

Yep, I received it within about half an hour of ringing the Water Corp on 9420 2420.

Just ask for the drinking water analysis for your area and they will fax/email it to you. A good service really.

Looks like fine water to brew with. The only figures that stand out for me are the high levels of sodium and chloride ions. Those should help you with sweet or malty beers, as they'll tend to accentuate a sweeter, fuller beer. But it'd probably be best to avoid adding any more of those as they can leave a salty taste ;) or medicinal flavours so salt or calcium chloride additions might not be a good idea. You also don't really want to add too much calcium sulphate for hoppy beers because the sulphate plus sodium can apparently cause too much harshness (not really a problem I've encountered as the water here is low in both of those). Overall, seems perfect for amber beers but for lighter coloured beers you might be best to use acid additions to get the pH right, or be very careful on the amounts of salts you add. Adding calcium carbonate for darker beers should be fine.

Looks like fine water to brew with. The only figures that stand out for me are the high levels of sodium and chloride ions. Those should help you with sweet or malty beers, as they'll tend to accentuate a sweeter, fuller beer. But it'd probably be best to avoid adding any more of those as they can leave a salty taste ;) or medicinal flavours so salt or calcium chloride additions might not be a good idea. You also don't really want to add too much calcium sulphate for hoppy beers because the sulphate plus sodium can apparently cause too much harshness (not really a problem I've encountered as the water here is low in both of those). Overall, seems perfect for amber beers but for lighter coloured beers you might be best to use acid additions to get the pH right, or be very careful on the amounts of salts you add. Adding calcium carbonate for darker beers should be fine.

Spot on Stuster. Mt Yokine is my water source and if you enter the calcium, magnesium and hardness on Palmers pretty little chart, your default beer colour is deep amber/copper. Not surprisingly, I always get my best efficiencies when producing beers of this colour.

You're right about the minerals too. Bugger all except for sodium and chloride, so it's soft but salty.

I haven't tried gypsum or chalk additions yet, but I have had good results using acidulated malt based on Weyermann's rule of thumb - 1% of acidulated malt for a pH drop of 0.1. Based on the same chart of Palmer's, a 3% addition will make my mash suitable for very pale beers.

Spot on Stuster. Mt Yokine is my water source and if you enter the calcium, magnesium and hardness on Palmers pretty little chart, your default beer colour is deep amber/copper. Not surprisingly, I always get my best efficiencies when producing beers of this colour.

You're right about the minerals too. Bugger all except for sodium and chloride, so it's soft but salty.

I haven't tried gypsum or chalk additions yet, but I have had good results using acidulated malt based on Weyermann's rule of thumb - 1% of acidulated malt for a pH drop of 0.1. Based on the same chart of Palmer's, a 3% addition will make my mash suitable for very pale beers.

I suspect Mt Yokine may be my source as well - my PH was measured at 7.7 and I suspect a high level of chlorine/chloromines. I've had very poor beers so far (medicinal) using the water without treatment.

Got one fermenting with 3% acidulated malt and treated with a bit of sodium met to get rid of the chloromines.

Yeah you definately need to get rid of the chlorine, it can be so strong at my place at times that it's undrinkable, and i'll generally drink anything!

Back