Wa: Norword Demolition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Todays Worst says that the Town of Vincent has approved the demolition of the Norwood Hotel on Lord Street. This is a bloody disgrace, it was built in 1898 and would have made a fine watering hole if properly restored. This part of town is devoid of pubs and it stinks that some greedy bloody developer is going to level this historic building to put up some over-priced flats to sell to white wine sipping overpaid public servants. Perth is already the dullest capital in the country, when will we be dull enough? :angry:

It is a shame so many great old pubs end up this way. We do lose so much of our aussie history each time one goes.
Hope it gets a good wake when it goes.

Al.

Perth is already the dullest capital in the country, when will we be dull enough? :angry:

Thats funny you should say that because perth apparentlly (i've never been) has a cracking nightlife seen, namely a huge drum and bass (a type of electronic music - cue *tangent* sarcasm) scene and here in Melbourne we struggle to pull 500 people at gigs when perths doing 800 people no worry's.

Maybe its that boring in the day that when it turns night time its on like donkey kong.

As for the pub - that sucks, whoever said they are killing pubs and town each time one gets knocked down is spot on imo.

Thats funny you should say that because perth apparentlly (i've never been) has a cracking nightlife seen, namely a huge drum and bass (a type of electronic music - cue *tangent* sarcasm) scene and here in Melbourne we struggle to pull 500 people at gigs when perths doing 800 people no worry's.

Maybe its that boring in the day that when it turns night time its on like donkey kong.

As for the pub - that sucks, whoever said they are killing pubs and town each time one gets knocked down is spot on imo.
Well I used to play in an original band over here and most people seem to think that the number of venues has dropped in the last 10 years which is not surprising as they keep knocking them down or turning them into tosser havens. Anyway standing in a bar and drinking is fine entertainment but getting increasingly hard to enjoy.

Go and get a photo of yourself in from of it before it too late.I have a book here from the seventies which has a great collection of photos of "pubs" as the were know then called the ( when peolpe use to sit on the side walk with a beer) Great Australian Pub Crawl.I bet at least 50% of the pubs dont exist now. Yes WA has a record of tearing down pub icons for the new wave of Yuppy units. :angry:
GB

Well I used to play in an original band over here and most people seem to think that the number of venues has dropped in the last 10 years which is not surprising as they keep knocking them down or turning them into tosser havens. Anyway standing in a bar and drinking is fine entertainment but getting increasingly hard to enjoy.

Especially when they charge rediculous amounts for drinks! That's what we get when these old historic icons are worth more knocked down and turned into housing than when theyare operating as a pub. Currently living and working in London and over here they take pride in their pubs. The ones that aren't a chain pub are quite small. Perhaps the developers should look over here and see how they do it - build a new smaller pub in new development. Majority of pubs are quite small compared to those in Perth, which is due to lack of space and no need to have a big beer garden.

There have been changes to licenses lately which (among other things) was done to encourage smaller venues - but I haven't seen too many spring up.

The idea of small cafe-sized local pub selling interesting beers is very appealing, but I suspect it would be hard to make money out of.

Perth is my favourite city. It always feels chilled and friendly. But I am from Sydney so busy, rude & ugly are what I'm used to.

Bad news about the Pub. That's the stuff that kills community. I guess the developers think we all want to hop in our dog boxes after work & never come out. Stuff that! Stuff them too.

Perth is my favourite city. It always feels chilled and friendly. But I am from Sydney so busy, rude & ugly are what I'm used to.

Bad news about the Pub. That's the stuff that kills community. I guess the developers think we all want to hop in our dog boxes after work & never come out. Stuff that! Stuff them too.

I'm from Perth (well Albany really) and I loved Sydney. So many pubs in the CBD, admittedly not all of them that special but most with a certain charm.

Thats what i love about melbourne, so many old little pubs sactterd all throughout brunswick, city, richmond, carlton, south melb etc..its the best rocking up and looking over the menu for the first time and seeing they have good local beer on tap.

Bummer, that used to be one of my locals when I lived in Perth.
Gerard

For those not familiar with the building - have a look at this

(Its a great site, though live in fear of appearing in it....)

You should all count yerselves lucky that you have a handful of original local pubs within walking distance of each other within a CBD. Nothing in Canberra - hence the reason I brew my own. I got the shock of my life when I move here from England. Having to get a taxi just to go for a beer. Where I came from there was approx 10 pubs within 10 mins walk from my house.

I stayed in The Melbourne Hotel in Perth for a night at Christmas with the family. They've done that place up nicely. Glad they didnt rip that one down. Apparently it was a bit of a dodgy pub in the past? Unfortunately the bar was closed as it was New Years Day :( If fact EVERYTHING was closed - no food or bottle shops!
Cheers
Steve

Such a shame to hear that not just another old building is being torn down, but another old pub. I've always found old style buildings very appealing, they have some much more character than these modern day structures

I recently spent the best part of a week in London, and i've gotta say I was thoroughly impressed to see so many great old style pubs, particularly in such a large, busy city.
We Aussies could probably learn a thing or two from the Poms in that regard.

Rubbish.
We need more glass and aluminium, the more the better. oh, and concrete too, lots of concrete.

For those not familiar with the building - have a look at this

(Its a great site, though live in fear of appearing in it....)

Great link Goat, good to see some others wingeing about the campaign to turn Perth into the urban equivilent of a Big Mac. And in the second half of the post there's references to some of the pubs we've lost, names likes the Claisebrook (wasn't that called Judy's), the Knutsford Arms, the Shenton Park, the Swanbourne ... and on Wellington Street there are no pubs at all, one of our main city thoroughfares and not a single bloody pub. Those that are left standing are now cheap hotels for English backpackers whereas they used to cheap hotels for winos (actually not a big change there :p )

5 years ago I heard a rude stat that WA doctors prescribe 7x more AD drugs (dexamphetamines) per captita than the national average. No idea whether this is still the case. Must say, those D&B gigs in the early 00's were an utter slutfest. Nice.

Rubbish.
We need more glass and aluminium, the more the better. oh, and concrete too, lots of concrete.

Cant agree more Vlad

And we need more tosser barmen telling us that a $9 Becks is a booteak beer.....I'll have mine with lemon thanks.... ;)

Back