Voyager Voodoo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgedgerton

Reaction score
Hi folk, long time no brew. Just wondering has anyone used Voyagers Voodoo as a base malt, and if so what style of brew and your general impressions

I have used it quite a bit. Think of it as Munich 3+. Yes, it has enough DP to convert itself but I'd suggest you limit it to say 30% of the grist.

I did a super intense red bitter with 100% voodoo and it was great for a pint but a bit chewy for a second pint. I also made a Belgian dark strong that was voodoo, cane sugar and a little carafa special 2. Again, super intense.

I have an ESB on at the moment that is 12.5% voodoo, 12.5% amber, 15% SM40 and the balance is atlas. Very very malty.

I generally use it at about 5%-10% to add some sweetness, toastiness and make the beer a little more red.

I thought it might be a bit too intense as the entire base, will probably take your advice, go about 30 and see how we go. Your ESB sounds good

I thought it might be a bit too intense as the entire base, will probably take your advice, go about 30 and see how we go. Your ESB sounds good

Yep, depends what you are after but maybe a 70% Atlas or Compass or even Veloria / 30% Voodoo grist would support an ESB or Pale Ale or IPA.

The ESB was part of my cube swap collaboration approach with @sponge ; he brewed it and I fermented it.

We both have systems capable of at least 4 cubes per batch so we brew then trade cubes.

I have used it quite a bit. Think of it as Munich 3+. Yes, it has enough DP to convert itself but I'd suggest you limit it to say 30% of the grist.

I did a super intense red bitter with 100% voodoo and it was great for a pint but a bit chewy for a second pint. I also made a Belgian dark strong that was voodoo, cane sugar and a little carafa special 2. Again, super intense.

I have an ESB on at the moment that is 12.5% voodoo, 12.5% amber, 15% SM40 and the balance is atlas. Very very malty.

I generally use it at about 5%-10% to add some sweetness, toastiness and make the beer a little more red.
I'm wondering if your ESB base could make an interesting foundation for a lager as well, any thoughts?

I'm wondering if your ESB base could make an interesting foundation for a lager as well, any thoughts?

Tropical barleywine?

Perhaps a dobbelbock style but if I rebrewed it, I would take the amber out or cut the voodoo and amber to 5% each and up the atlas.

For reference, this is what it looks like:

ESB.jpeg

Yep, depends what you are after but maybe a 70% Atlas or Compass or even Veloria / 30% Voodoo grist would support an ESB or Pale Ale or IPA.

The ESB was part of my cube swap collaboration approach with @sponge ; he brewed it and I fermented it.

We both have systems capable of at least 4 cubes per batch so we brew then trade cubes.
Agreed with that. Certainly more tame than a heritage xtal for example, but imparts a similar flavour.

80/20 would be a good start for a british or american pale. Flexible in a range of beers though.

I prefer it to using xtal in beers.

The photo above has a nice (re: overwhelming) whack of amber in it, but you'll certainly get a nice colour from it.

Latest posts

Back