Voyager SM40

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFAIK, Schooner is designed for hop heavy pale beers and spec malt forward beers like stouts. It attenuates less than their other pale malts.

Try atlas for your golden ale. Perhaps with a light touch of Vienna (5%) and some oats or a little wheat. 20IBU of your fav hop combo (I like Motueka or Idaho 7 in a golden). Mash at 64/65 and ferment with some American or english ale yeast.

Veloria is more of a GP/Maris Otter style base malt for malt forward beers. I’ve made some great ordinary bitters with just MO and some EKG early and Northdown late with WLP013.
It is confusing as most of their malts end in schooner, Veloria Schooner, Pale Schooner, Vienna Schooner, Munich Schooner etc.

What's confusing about it?
Schooner is the variety of malt the prefix is telling you how its been malted (processed).
Just like Heritage Crystal Maris Otter, is Crystal made from Maris Otter. Just tells you that they grow and malt a lot of Schooner in different ways.

Back when, Coopers used it almost exclusively, its very good at making a beer just like Coopers, it was always a bit of a niggle that changing the mash conditions, the boil or anything else and you got almost exactly the same beer, which can be a mixed blessing.
Mark

What's confusing about it?
Schooner is the variety of malt the prefix is telling you how its been malted (processed).
Just like Heritage Crystal Maris Otter, is Crystal made from Maris Otter. Just tells you that they grow and malt a lot of Schooner in different ways.

Back when, Coopers used it almost exclusively, its very good at making a beer just like Coopers, it was always a bit of a niggle that changing the mash conditions, the boil or anything else and you got almost exactly the same beer, which can be a mixed blessing.
Mark
What was confusing, during the bulk buy some were just ordering Schooner.

AFAIK, Schooner is designed for hop heavy pale beers and spec malt forward beers like stouts. It attenuates less than their other pale malts.

Try atlas for your golden ale. Perhaps with a light touch of Vienna (5%) and some oats or a little wheat. 20IBU of your fav hop combo (I like Motueka or Idaho 7 in a golden). Mash at 64/65 and ferment with some American or english ale yeast.

Veloria is more of a GP/Maris Otter style base malt for malt forward beers. I’ve made some great ordinary bitters with just MO and some EKG early and Northdown late with WLP013.

Thanks Shacked. I just might try to use the schooner in a Zombie Dust brew because that is hop heavy (I hope I understand correctly).

I have used some Atlas in a Kolsch I am trying to brew. I got the idea from KegKing (no affiliation) in Springvale whom had a Kolsch on tap that I tried. At the moment this brew is in an open fermenter ( arrgh I'm doing it again).

Latest posts

Back