Voyager Malts & Efficiency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I absolutly love the Voyager Malts so please don't take this as criticism of the Malt.
It seems when using these Malts with the supplied figures I'm always about 4 to 7 pionts off at the end of the boil. This is especially with my favorite Voyager Veloria Schooner which I use regulary as a single Malt love it.
If I get grain from the Brewman of another brand I quite often actually go over my figures as Ive dialled my settings down to 67% which is what I seem to get with Voyager, Ive tried different crush and even done a stepped mash but still don't seem to get passed 67%. When using other grains I am regulary around 75 -78% these are the Brewersfriend Brewhouse figures.
The beers still turn out very good and very clear so I'm not all that worried just wondering if others find this.

Someone on one of the aussie brewing facebook groups was talking about this today
I've never noticed lower efficiency when using Voyager Veloria, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it next time I use it

Yes, their malts have great character but I have found they have a bit less extract, especially the wonderful Veloria. I did three comparison batches at the beginning of the year for a taste comparison at my home brew club meeting (remember those). Usually for 25 litres end of boil, 5 kg of pale ale malt will give me an OG 1.050. Voyager malts; Pale Schooner 1.046, Compass 1.046, Veloria 1.044. Others might have different results. I just increase my Voyager malt bill by 10-12%. Not much of a cost trade off compared to the depth of flavour from their malts IMHO. Hope this helps.

Yes, their malts have great character but I have found they have a bit less extract, especially the wonderful Veloria. I did three comparison batches at the beginning of the year for a taste comparison at my home brew club meeting (remember those). Usually for 25 litres end of boil, 5 kg of pale ale malt will give me an OG 1.050. Voyager malts; Pale Schooner 1.046, Compass 1.046, Veloria 1.044. Others might have different results. I just increase my Voyager malt bill by 10-12%. Not much of a cost trade off compared to the depth of flavour from their malts IMHO. Hope this helps.
Barry, this is very similiar to what I am getting, As you say it's no biggie but I really do like the Veloria as a single malt.

I had This issue with the atlas malt but after talking to Stu I probably mashed it too high as the malt is designed to mash at a lower temp, btw I usually mash at 70c. However with Veloria my efficiency is either on par or negligibly lower than gladfields Vienna. And I agree Veloria is definitely nice, and so is their Vienna.

So just a bit of update, this would maybe/probably work on all systems. On my last single malt Veloria I lifted the mash pipe at 30 minutes and swirled the wort then put the mash pipe back down and I not only hit but exceeded by 2 points. I watched a youtube that recommended this so tried it. Would probably work for all mashes as it brings the wort from the side of the mash pipe back down to mix in?

Latest posts

Back