Voyager brand 'craft' malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get yourself onto their SM40 and Voodoo.
They have components of Munich and Crystal. try an amber with ~50/50 Veloria/SM40... delicious.

I have a recipe from Ron Pattinson's book of a English bitter circa 1909 from Lees Brewery Greater Manchester. Thought it would be more appropriate to use an old malt so bought a bag of the Veloria today. Looking forward to trying it.

I have a recipe from Ron Pattinson's book of a English bitter circa 1909 from Lees Brewery Greater Manchester. Thought it would be more appropriate to use an old malt so bought a bag of the Veloria today. Looking forward to trying it.
WYF - do you think Schooner is a "Old Malt" (as a variety presumably) it was released in the early 1980's.
Coopers was always a big fan of Schooner, down side in my experience is that Schooner is very good at making a beer that tastes like Coopers, not very good at making beer with other flavour profiles.
Maris Otter is probably the oldest variety still in anything like regular production dating from the mid 1960's, chosen as it has a very characteristic flavour, which may or not suit what you are looking for.
Personally I think Golden Promise would go closer to the flavours of an early 1900's malt, released in the late 1960's (made by stuffing seed barley in a nuclear reactor and seeing what you get). Even UK Pearl would be a good call, better I suspect than Schooner.
Mark

Schooner isn't an old malt neither is Golden Promise, I am just going off the specs, ideal for old British beers. However it turns out it will be a drinkable beer of that I am sure(not so sure about the IBU) and I doubt there would be anyone alive who would argue that it isn't an authentic 1909 English Bitter.
Anyone trying to replicate a beer from yesteryear couldn't compare between one brewed today as to one brewed in bygone times, so it just has to be filed under the heading, 'Fantasy'.

Last edited:
So brewed a 19 litre batch today, liked the taste of the wort from pre boil gravity test, tried out the trub blocker, would have worked better if it didn't have such a high volume of hop pellets. Lost 2 litres to trub, still ended up with 18 litres so pretty happy.
001.JPG
002.JPG

This was 100% Veloria with invert sugar.

Thanks for you post WEAL, but at least me for me, I couldnt understand it, excuse my ignorance.
1. What you mean about trub blocker
2. Invert sugar - please explain
3. Chinese English Ale yeast?
4. BB on the yeast?

1. What you mean about trub blocker

Something for his kettle that acts as a screen to filter out hops/hot break as he drains the wort. Usually depends on the model of the kettle, but considering WEAL, it's probably some upgrade. He's been a champion of the coiled spring / Helix Coil.

2. Invert sugar - please explain

Where table sugar (sucrose) is made into a syrup, and with the addition of a catalyst (often citric acid), to hydrolyse into glucose and fructose. The reason for changing them would be to present a particular sugar to the yeast, reducing the workload on the yeast so that it's not responsible for those conversions/avoiding an off-flavour/increasing ABV without increasing malt.

3. Chinese English Ale yeast?

I'm also interested in what this is.

4. BB on the yeast?

Bulk Buy - have several members on the forum purchase the yeast together for savings/availability.

I would also be keen to get some of this yeast if a BB was organized, I have messaged them around samples but haven't responded to their latest email back.
I have their reps email in my system, I will try to get more samples from him, the head office only wants to sell by the tonne. A BB will only be feasible if they can drop that quantity, after all it is in their own best interest if they could export their range of beer and lager yeasts. I am sure they are only exporting their bread yeasts just going on the amount of Asian bakery's there are.

Went to KK today, and they bags and bags of Voyager malt.
Looks like they have been appointed the distributor.

I tasted a few of the grain, the schooner was lovely.
I didn't buy any, as I still have some malt to use, but investigating their website, they have quite a few recipes and its a download compatible with beersmith. I'm 2 brews away from using all my existing malt, but I will try it after that. I reckon, it might be possible to get a unique/niche Aussie beer (apart from Coopers). For example, smoked malt using almonds!!!!
Where are the recipes? I couldnt find any on the Voyager Malt website?

Where are the recipes? I couldnt find any on the Voyager Malt website?

Your right, I thought the Beersmith.bsmx file contained 16 recipes, instead it just contains details about their grains.

I have just sent them an email asking if they can provide some recipes, lets see if they respond.

I am thinking of the possibilities of getting a bulk buy on this malt, I would certainly be interested in trying it.

Your right, I thought the Beersmith.bsmx file contained 16 recipes, instead it just contains details about their grains.

I have just sent them an email asking if they can provide some recipes, lets see if they respond.
Keep us informed.

Back