Voyager brand 'craft' malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingmaa

Reaction score
Hi all

picked up half a sack of voyager veloria malt this morning. Anyone used it yet? Is grown around Griffith apparently.

Got a couple of smash brews going down today, will report back in a few weeks. Going for $67 a sack here, seems fairly maris otter-ish but seems to have more protein content going by break

Barleyman sells it. Sounds good, a change from the industro-malts such as BB and JW.

It's good stuff. Run by a remote Canberra Brewers member. We ended up buying a pallet of the stuff. They sponsored ANHC as well.

Damn, so many Star Trek brews that can be made with a malt like Voyager.

Fair Haven Stout
The Doctor's Off Button Hypobeer
Seven of 9%
Chakotay's "Traditional" Native American Ale
Kim's misery Barley Wine
Kes' psychic Wheat Beer
Torres' Angry Porter
There's Deuterium in this Beer

...and so on.

I've got a Veloria smash fermenting at the moment, aiming for an Aussie Bitter, POR at 60 and WLP007. The malt itself looks and tastes great, fresh as (of course), I got an excellent extraction using my usual settings for BIAB, and the wort was crystal clear and a lovely red hue. Didn't notice any more or less protein than usual. It's kilned at 9EBC, and the Voyager lads say it's a superb base for smash beers. If it's half as good as the first sacks of schooner malt we got, then it's going to be excellent.

The only out of the ordinary I noticed for this one is that the grain husks are quite thick, and it gives the mills a workout. Good friability once the husk is cracked though.

It's Buloke barley Grown by Ken Overs in Barellan. It's nice knowing where your ingredients come from, and I love buying local too. The Voyager lads have some new irons in the fire as well, but I will leave it to them to announce it all when they are ready.

20150109_094612.jpg

kegged off the citra smash the other day.

came out very nice, great colour and has a nice smooth body and finish. Don't actually think I will add spec malts to it for pale ales.

Also did a quick saison with it because it was there, pretty good but has a strange tartness to it, will probably stick to the usual pils and wheat bill in future

For any canberra brewers chasing a bag of Voyager Veloria or Buloke pale, I have 5 bags of Buloke, and 2 of Veloria in stock

Cheers
Steve

Good to know, Steve.

I used the Veloria in my very first BIAB (yet still bottle conditioning that though) so depending on how that turns out might have to pay you a visit (I live just around the corner!), I'll just have to invest in some handi-pails and a grain mill first...

Mick0s said:
Good to know, Steve.

I used the Veloria in my very first BIAB (yet still bottle conditioning that though) so depending on how that turns out might have to pay you a visit (I live just around the corner!), I'll just have to invest in some handi-pails and a grain mill first...
I have a mill mate, and it's a free service

NorthWest9 said:
I have a mill mate, and it's a free service
Cheers, but I was probably going to go for a bulk 25k bag, so I probably don't want that milled all at once, given that I'll likely last me the best part of 18 months or so, haha. :)

Anyhow, sorry for the quick hijack.
As you were, people...

Kingmaa said:
attachicon.gif
20150109_094612.jpg

kegged off the citra smash the other day.

came out very nice, great colour and has a nice smooth body and finish. Don't actually think I will add spec malts to it for pale ales.

Also did a quick saison with it because it was there, pretty good but has a strange tartness to it, will probably stick to the usual pils and wheat bill in future
thats some high gravity beer your brewing there. or maybe some kind of star trek synthetic gravity holding the beer in the glass...

I brewed a Voyager Stout today, using there new Voyager specialty malts with Valoria as base. Smelt wonderful going in the cube. It a 4 shades of stout recipe, cheers Nick from Barleyman for his help.
Big G

Can I pretty much just swap Veloria for any pale 2-row malt? I'm curious about these malts and love the idea of using Australian, small-scale grains.

I'd love some guidelines on what I can swap out their various base malts for. Their pilsener is obvious but what about the "Pale Malt", the Schooner 'Ale Malt' and the Veloria Buloke malt?

Any clues here would be appreciated.

bongoman said:
Can I pretty much just swap Veloria for any pale 2-row malt? I'm curious about these malts and love the idea of using Australian, small-scale grains.

I'd love some guidelines on what I can swap out their various base malts for. Their pilsener is obvious but what about the "Pale Malt", the Schooner 'Ale Malt' and the Veloria Buloke malt?

Any clues here would be appreciated.

Veloria is the same as the buloke, but roasted a few EBC darker. Both are ale malts, the Veloria is just a fraction darker and maltier

I currently have the buloke in stock, and am using it in my brewery, as the Veloria is not available at the moment

IMO, Veloria is very similar to Maris Otter Malt. Drinking a Veloria Citra Smash on tap atm. I haven't yet tried the other base malt as yet but looking forward to using them.

Absolutely love the intimacy of these craft malts. I love that you know who grew the grain, when it was harvested and malted. Very cool.

Their special roast malt is one of the tastiest malt I've ever eaten. It's like a super-biscuit with a dash of crystal.

seamad said:
Anyone up here in QLD stocking voyager, the usual suspects don't seem to stock it, maybe a BB is in order ?
I would also be interested in a sack to see how it goes.

I'm putting together a Brown Porter recipe and am hoping to use as many Voyager grains as possible, just because!

The recipe is this:

70% pale malt
14% brown malt
9% crystal 150EBC
7% chocolate malt

How does it sounds to do this as follows do you think?

70% Voyager Veloria
14% Voyager Brown Malt
7% Voyager Chocolate

And the crystal I guess I'll have to use from another maltster. Will be buying this all from Barleyman so might use Caramunich III for the Crystal?

Does 14% of the Voyager Schooner Brown Malt sound too much?

Any other thoughts on this recipe would be appreciated...

Howdy Bongo

I've done a beer recently incredibly similar to your grain bill and used Bairds as a good choice for the crystal. 14% of the brown won't be too much.

Let us know how you go!

Fingers crossed the Voyager lads have plans to make some crystal as well as roast!

Latest posts

Back