Voss Kveik Recipe Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrobrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

Have some Lallemand Voss Kveik in the fridge I am thinking of using on a brew.

Wondering if anyone had some go to recipes or styles they have used this on.

I have heard mixed things. Some people say it is a very clean yeast, some say it has a definite funk that doesn't suit a lot of styles.

I am open to any style at all. I have temp control if that matters.

What have you all been successful with?

Re posting this in correct recipe section..

I’ve used it only once in a mild, which I dry hopped with dank US hops. Yum!. Light orange aroma which is pleasant. Not funky at all imho. My mate has done hoppy APAs with good results too.

In the new year, I plan on amping up the ABV and trying a 'Jaffa' style porter with Voss. I'll throw in some Mosaic CryHops dry hops at ferment to try to get some biotransformation orange juice flavours that geraniol apparently does in an active ferment.

But for now, I'm trying this out on the weekend - an APA with moderate pine and citrus to complement the Voss orange.

OG 1.42 FG1.008 @ 4.7%
35IBU 48L batch

2-row pale ale malt - Golden Promise
6.50kg​
Munich Malt
0.40kg​
Light crystal (10-15L) Glaffield Toffee
0.35kg​
Wheat malt
0.60kg​

Hops AdditionsWeightTimeIBU
Columbus
25​
90​
21.2​
Columbus
40​
10​
10.4​
Columbus
30​
0​
4.3​
Amarillo CryoHops
15​
0​
2.9​
Columbus
20​
dry
0.0​
Amarillo CryoHops
20​
dry
0.0​

I'll report back with how it goes.

In the new year, I plan on amping up the ABV and trying a 'Jaffa' style porter with Voss. I'll throw in some Mosaic CryHops dry hops at ferment to try to get some biotransformation orange juice flavours that geraniol apparently does in an active ferment.

But for now, I'm trying this out on the weekend - an APA with moderate pine and citrus to complement the Voss orange.

OG 1.42 FG1.008 @ 4.7%
35IBU 48L batch

2-row pale ale malt - Golden Promise
6.50kg​
Munich Malt
0.40kg​
Light crystal (10-15L) Glaffield Toffee
0.35kg​
Wheat malt
0.60kg​

Hops AdditionsWeightTimeIBU
Columbus
25​
90​
21.2​
Columbus
40​
10​
10.4​
Columbus
30​
0​
4.3​
Amarillo CryoHops
15​
0​
2.9​
Columbus
20​
dry
0.0​
Amarillo CryoHops
20​
dry
0.0​

I'll report back with how it goes.
Sounds like a good beer. Let me know whether the voss overtakes the hops or not.

I’ve used it only once in a mild, which I dry hopped with dank US hops. Yum!. Light orange aroma which is pleasant. Not funky at all imho. My mate has done hoppy APAs with good results too.
What temp did you ferment at for this one? Was the orange pleasant? I have heard it can taste like overripe fruit and can dominate. Good to know if it didnt.

I brewed a Voss Kveik (yeast bay liquid) at 28 and it just had a vaguely ale-y flavour. Very hard to describe other than earthy and mildly fruity. It was split batch with a kolsch that I fermented separately in temp conrol, but that should give you an idea of wort and noble saaz hops.

35C will give you the orange apparently which I won't know for sure until I brew on Saturday with 34C forceast for midday in Brisbane. At 28C there was zero orange.

What temp did you ferment at for this one? Was the orange pleasant? I have heard it can taste like overripe fruit and can dominate. Good to know if it didnt.
35c. Yes its quite pleasant, it sounds weird but it’s nice. I tasted my mates US pale ale and it was barely noticeable in amongst the US hops

Ive used kveik Voss in most of my brews this year, ranging from a coopers mild larger (can) that was dryhopped.
Very nice,
Since moved to all grain BIAB and used it in A Czech light ale, that wasn’t as nice as I hoped (still drank it all)
a SMaSH with maris otter pale / Amarillo, which was really nice, and have my second batch of it on a cold crash as we speak.

I fermented this one at 38, was done in 2 days.
Havn’t really has any orange come through as I’ve dryhopped (not massive amounts)
Will be interesting if it comes through in this 38o time one.

never had any funk come through, and ive been harvesting each brew.

I use it in everything I can

Latest posts

Back