Volume of corny keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting point. I have a fairly accurate 3L marked jug, will test it out next time I've got an open corny. I'd guess the "19L" is right up to the lid. So the actual beer length into the keg would be probably less than 18L.
This could be valuable information for guys doing smaller batches (the 19L stockpot brigade in particular) as an accurate keg reading would give them a better handle on required batch size.

I'm in the market for a 20/21L SS vessel that I can store wort in as I don't like plastic cubes.

So I was kind of thinking, a 20L cube holds 23(?)L so maybe a corny might hold 20/21??

Hot wort into a keg will either have to suck in air or the walls of the keg as it cools.

They vary a bit I thought. My used cornies I have shorter ones, taller ones etc. The shorter ones are 18-19l at best to be not over filled but a taller one holds 20- 21l just as well.

Interesting point. I have a fairly accurate 3L marked jug, will test it out next time I've got an open corny. I'd guess the "19L" is right up to the lid. So the actual beer length into the keg would be probably less than 18L.
This could be valuable information for guys doing smaller batches (the 19L stockpot brigade in particular) as an accurate keg reading would give them a better handle on required batch size.
Just use empty 2 L drink bottle very accurate if you do not lose count.

if you hit a "hot wort no chill keg" with some co2 once you fill it would you negate the vacuum effect?

Most 'Corney" kegs are 5US Gallons (that's Cornelius and Spartanburg) so they have a working capacity of 18.9271 L. That will be to the bottom of the little diptube on the gas outlet (when they were filling them with "soda" syrup they didn't take the hatch off they filled from the bottom, through the diptube, and let it vent out the gas side until the right liquid level was reached - often counter pressure filled)

Australian made Myton, Myton-Rod, Rheem, STPV (who are still making them - link) came in a range of sizes mostly based on Imperial Gallons.
If you want to know for sure you will have to measure your keg, as Mardoo said above, by weight is the easiest.
I've got a few old 5 Imp Gal (23L) ones I will be selling some time, should be good for pressure fermenting then transfer to a Corny keg.

As Bridges pointed out they will suck in air as they cool, I have in the past fitted an inline sterile (HEPPA) filter to a gas disconnect and let the keg breath through that as it cools - works.
Mark

OP chills, as mentioned but I have tried NC into keg with a small amount of co2 gas pressure added in while it cooled - no keg shrinkage.

Can be done.

I've never filled right up to the short dip tube, I always leave about a cm. Would there be any problems?

I usually pull them out of Australian kegs, or trim them on Corny/Spartanburg kegs.

I have done it, you need to make sure the keg sits level as beer could go up the tube into the gas line. Found first couple of beers didn’t provide much of a head, but not flat beer. After that all good

“I've got a few old 5 Imp Gal (23L) ones I will be selling some time, should be good for pressure fermenting then transfer to a Corny keg.“

Would postage be a problem or you think too much to SA

Back