Vintage Lager recipe from the 1920's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edd Mather 6

Reaction score
Hi ,
Any of you happy mashers interested in a Lager recipe from the UK ?? , I could pop it up if there's some interest ?? ,
Cheers
Edd
( Temps in °Fahr & °C ) [emoji23]

I would be interested to see it.

Cheers

That would be excellent. I was watching a series about the struggles of the working classes in the UK and there was a shot of a Walker's Lager poster on a wall behind the rioters, from your part of the world, I think it was pre WW1. I was surpised that lager was even known about back then in't grimy North.

The lager that is, from Warrington. I'm sure the rioters weren't from Bolton, nice polite crew there as always :cool:

Aye , they were even brewing it on't wrong side o't hills in 1892-4 (Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries , Woodlesford)

That would be excellent. I was watching a series about the struggles of the working classes in the UK and there was a shot of a Walker's Lager poster on a wall behind the rioters, from your part of the world, I think it was pre WW1. I was surpised that lager was even known about back then in't grimy North.

The lager that is, from Warrington. I'm sure the rioters weren't from Bolton, nice polite crew there as always :cool:
Walker's Lager was produced at their Shobnall Rd , Burton on Trent brewery up to 1923/4 .

Pity, anything South of Sheffield isn't a contender (Brains beers excepted). ;)

Bentleys... now that's a blast from the past, I was born in Pontefract just down t'road and can remember pubs still bearing the Bentleys livery down as far as Barnsley as late as the 1970s.

Anyway, off topic: post away.

Last edited:
Hi mate , bit lurgified at the moment ! , got most of it done ; closer to an Aussie beer than a true continental lager @ Ca 36 ibu , hopefully I'll be popping it up in a day or so . ( Currently awaiting the Goosey & Bawkes delivery truck , driver H Grippipe Thinn ;) )

Hi mate , bit lurgified at the moment ! , got most of it done ; closer to an Aussie beer than a true continental lager @ Ca 36 ibu , hopefully I'll be popping it up in a day or so . ( Currently awaiting the Goosey & Bawkes delivery truck , driver H Grippipe Thinn ;) )
Should be up there tomorrow , when I get access to a PC !!

Off topic a bit:

When I was 8 or 9, whenever Dad and I would go into Newcastle-upon-Tyne Central Station for whatever reason, my big treat was to go into the old railway Buffet where I would gaze in wonder at the glorious glazed tile work and sip on a bottled pineapple juice. Served by a lass in the sort of black and white maid's outfit you only see in certain tubes sites nowadays. Dad, who rarely visited pubs despite having one right over the road from us at home, would have a bottle of 1950s lager. He took great pains in explaining to me that it wasn't the same as the beer that fuelled the nightly staggering procession of homeward drunks at 10pm every night, but was far superior.

I always assumed that they would have gutted the place decades ago and re-purposed it as a bloody Burger King or something. I just did a quick search for an old historic picture and lo and behold:

central station buffet.jpg

That's a recent photo: they've fully restored it, probably lager and all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bribie G reaches for box of tissues.

now for that lager. :bigcheers:

Back