Vintage Bourboun - Old Hickory

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Cee

Reaction score
We uncovered a bottle of bourbon today, part of a friend's deceased father's collection of grog. Not being much of a bourbon connoisseur, I'm wondering if this is a rarity. We believe it to be between 30 & 50 years old.

Some google searching suggests that the distillery was post-prohibition, and produced bourbon until at least the 1960's. They were based in Illinois, USA.

The label states:

"Bottled under Commonwealth supervision for Elder Smith Goldsbrough Mort", a company which became Elders IXL and ran Carlton United Breweries from 1982 (this could make the bottle younger than assumed, but still up to 30 years old).

There is a 'punched' set of numbers on the label that reads "28 74". Whether this is a batch ID or a hint to the mintage, who's to know.

I don't know if I should drink it, or flog it off, and buy a couple of bottles of single malt instead, if there's any value in it. :p

bourbon_1.jpg

Sadly I dont think its worth a huge amount.. It was a fairly popular drink back the in day, some people have whole unopened cases of the stuff. It might have been worth more if it was still in the cask, but sadly, spirits don't get better after decasking and bottling (don't tell the wine-o's I said that!).

I'd probably just drink some when you need some instant reminiscing.

We uncovered a bottle of bourbon today, part of a friend's deceased father's collection of grog. Not being much of a bourbon connoisseur, I'm wondering if this is a rarity. We believe it to be between 30 & 50 years old.

Some google searching suggests that the distillery was post-prohibition, and produced bourbon until at least the 1960's. They were based in Illinois, USA.

The label states:

"Bottled under Commonwealth supervision for Elder Smith Goldsbrough Mort", a company which became Elders IXL and ran Carlton United Breweries from 1982 (this could make the bottle younger than assumed, but still up to 30 years old).

There is a 'punched' set of numbers on the label that reads "28 74". Whether this is a batch ID or a hint to the mintage, who's to know.

I don't know if I should drink it, or flog it off, and buy a couple of bottles of single malt instead, if there's any value in it. :p

View attachment 57499

Sadly I dont think its worth a huge amount.. It was a fairly popular drink back the in day, some people have whole unopened cases of the stuff. It might have been worth more if it was still in the cask, but sadly, spirits don't get better after decasking and bottling (don't tell the wine-o's I said that!).

Yes, oversupply is always a killer on vintage items. I remember years ago I took an Australian first pressing of "Sgt Peppers" in for a valuation along with other (admittedly rare) albums, and they guys said its worth around $3, because they produced so damn many of them .

Still quite interested in the local history, why it was bottled for Elder Smith Goldsbrough Mort , and whether they owned CUB at the time, which would put this bottle in the early '80's bracket. Didn't they have an old building in Darling Harbour, Sydney, that fell into ruin ?

I know that spirits remain at the age they were decanted (such as whiskey) but as for wine, my limited understanding is that with reds, aspects such as tannic flavours soften, the acidity changes, etc. I would relate it to ageing a stout. Wy do you think it's bunk ?

I must say, there were some old bottles of white wines in the stash today, that I don't dare have a crack at.

Oh, I don't think it's bunk, I just don't think its all what it's cracked up to be. I think people put a little bit too much emphasis on the time of aging as a measure of quality.

Spirits and tawny ports wont change in the bottle, whereas wine and vintage ports will. With the white wines they usually dont age as well as reds, with the possible exception of some frenchys. If there is a lot of ullage ( space in top of bottle) chances are its shot. If there isnt a lot give them a shot, just dont expect a lot of upfront fruit flwvours. I regularly stick a case of houghtons white burgundy, or whatever its called know, in my cellar and leave it for around ten years, bloody amazing how good it gets.

With the bourbon just crack it and toast the friends old man.

Spirits and tawny ports wont change in the bottle, whereas wine and vintage ports will. With the white wines they usually dont age as well as reds, with the possible exception of some frenchys. If there is a lot of ullage ( space in top of bottle) chances are its shot. If there isnt a lot give them a shot, just dont expect a lot of upfront fruit flwvours. I regularly stick a case of houghtons white burgundy, or whatever its called know, in my cellar and leave it for around ten years, bloody amazing how good it gets.

With the bourbon just crack it and toast the friends old man.

How regularly do you stick a case in the cellar for 10 YEARS

Only every 3-5 years, cellar only holds about a thousand bottles. Will be moving onto boat in about a year, and wine bottles weigh too much !. In an effort to reduce the cellar i havent bought much wine in last four years. Took a few years to get to critical mass, ie , cellaring outpaced consumption, but when reached its easier to maintain. I really enjoy some aged wines, but everyone has different palates.
Cheers
Sean

Only every 3-5 years, cellar only holds about a thousand bottles. Will be moving onto boat in about a year, and wine bottles weigh too much !. In an effort to reduce the cellar i havent bought much wine in last four years. Took a few years to get to critical mass, ie , cellaring outpaced consumption, but when reached its easier to maintain. I really enjoy some aged wines, but everyone has different palates.
Cheers
Sean

So where do i board this boat Cant wait
Ive got BEER

Edit -: Aged wine here too WooHoo!!!

Haha...... its in the backyard where im building it. When its finished im heading off for seven years or so with the family until the kids have to go to high school, dunno where to, sth pacific and asia first then possible circumnavigation.

Think im turning into a ******* hippy. When adults start lining up to buy a phone that is a tiny bit lighter than the one they already have i think its time to leave.

Sorry to op for tiny bit of thread drift...

Im thinking we might drift a little more :icon_offtopic:
Heres my boat build
I think the common theme to the OP is in the name of the boat
$200 Ebay special into this

post_20253_1348827563_thumb.jpg

I'm no boatie, but I'd throw a tarp over that before rounding Cape Horn. :)

Here I was imagining an almighty Ark, with two of every wine variety onboard :lol:

Women & children first if the ship goes down.

200 bucks... bargain...

$200 + 5000 including Motor $2700
Wouldn't do it again cost too friggin much
Wont be rounding the Cape in this
Port Phillip Bay can be more than wild enough

Edit -:Seamad is the man rounding the globe
Cant wait till he picks me up in Melbourne :D

there are 2 good days when owning a boat.
the day you buy it.
and the day you sell it.

I say save it. You never know.
Remember when you could by this stuff?

col79.jpg

Kitch, and shit beer, but I wish I had of bought a pallet as it's now retailing for around a grand a carton.

I remember buying a case at Hoxten park and guzzling a good portion by the time I got to Myall Lakes with an ex-girlfriend.
Ah...a wonderful weekend of regrets on both fronts was that..

I say save it. You never know.
Remember when you could by this stuff?

col79.jpg

Kitch, and shit beer, but I wish I had of bought a pallet as it's now retailing for around a grand a carton.

I remember buying a case at Hoxten park and guzzling a good portion by the time I got to Myall Lakes with an ex-girlfriend.
Ah...a wonderful weekend of regrets on both fronts was that..

Just a little more :icon_offtopic:

looks like that distillery closed its doors in 1981 in Philadelphia USA I say keep it you never know.

I have a 25 year old bottle of Jack Daniels thats making money year by year

Franko

Might keep it for the E-Bay boat christening. Does it come with the trailer?

Don't worry about the off-topic, its of no concern to the Old Hickory

Might keep it for the E-Bay boat christening. Does it come with the trailer?

Don't worry about the off-topic, its of no concern to the Old Hickory

The Old Hickory would be worth more if you had the other bottles in the set - Old Dickory and Old Doc.

Back