Vines36 reporting for duty

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vines36

Reaction score
hi all
I’m Vines from Tassie. Been lurking for a couple months as I researched lots of info. Got myself a basic setup and have bottled a couple kits from coopers. Got another more adventurous (for me) batch in the primary.

Quick comment and question: Chilled and opened my first two 740ml bottles from the Brew A IPA this week after 6 days in the primary and 2 weeks in the bottle, as per basic instructions. I suspected they might still be a bit green, but like many before me I was keen to gain some info.

Got a very small fizz on opening and virtually no carbonation. Taste and smell is good but no bubbles. I used the coopers drops - 2 in each.

Couple of possible reasons based on things I’ve read here, happy to field other advice.
- dodgy or incorrect yeast? (it was a new packet of US04)
- temp too high at pitching? (It was 24c)
- temp not consistent enough overnight and during the day during conditioning (this is quite possible based on where they were)
- temp too cold and yeast shutting down (have since moved bottles to a warmer cupboard and will leave them for another couple weeks)

Anything else I’m missing? Will moving them to a warmer cupboard be enough to salvage them?

Anyways. Cheers to all.
Looking forward to reading and contributing.

Vines

Hi and welcome Vines, did you use a hydrometer to take a reading or just give it enough time to ferment out, and how did you carbonate?

Hi and welcome Vines, did you use a hydrometer to take a reading or just give it enough time to ferment out, and how did you carbonate?
Thanks Reg!
OG was 1.040
FG was 1.010 for two days in a row.
Used the coopers carb drops x2 in each 740ml bottle.

Okay Reg - quick update.
Moved the bottles to the cupboard in the kitchen a couple days ago. Chucked one in the fridge this arvo for Friday night footy. Cracked it at 3/4 time and we had an excellent crack fizz.
Nice head on the pour and bubbles. Head retention was average but with plenty left, I’m a happy camper. Lots to look forward to.

I read that patience is the key - not my strong suit!!!!!

Might just take a little bit longer to carbonate if it's cooler where you are right now. Good move on moving them to a warmer spot

Might just take a little bit longer to carbonate if it's cooler where you are right now. Good move on moving them to a warmer spot
Nights are cool now and I certainly haven’t invested much thought or effort into maintaining a relatively constant temp where I have the fermenter and had the bottles.
Happy with my current setup though.

Now, I’ll get back to wading through the pages of info here...
Cheers

Nights are cool now and I certainly haven’t invested much thought or effort into maintaining a relatively constant temp where I have the fermenter and had the bottles.
Happy with my current setup though.

Now, I’ll get back to wading through the pages of info here...
Cheers
Nup. Spoke too soon. Only 3 out of the first 10-12 longnecks have been properly carbonated. The rest have essentially been flat...
Disappointing. Can’t put my finger on would cause 3 bottles to be awesome, and the rest to be flat.

2 Coopers carb drops in each 740ml bottle
Sorry, see you had already mentioned that I have never used the carb drops, next brew why don't you try bulk priming. Each bottle will turn out the same, see the calculator on Brewers Friend.

Hi vines, I’m pretty much where you are in brewing infancy. I have a magnicantly carbonated first batch, but a pretty much flat second batch. I used coopers drops for both. Temperatures have been similar for both, so I’m stumped. I varied off the recipe for my second and used brew enhancer 3 instead of 2. My first brew used enhancer 1 as per instructions. Not sure if this had much to do with it.

I’m stumped like you.

I’m going to bulk prime like someone else suggested from here on out. Already got my myself a second vessel for racking the beer, which sounds like it has a lot of benefit, particularly for bulk priming.

Happy brewing!

Hi vines, I’m pretty much where you are in brewing infancy. I have a magnicantly carbonated first batch, but a pretty much flat second batch. I used coopers drops for both. Temperatures have been similar for both, so I’m stumped. I varied off the recipe for my second and used brew enhancer 3 instead of 2. My first brew used enhancer 1 as per instructions. Not sure if this had much to do with it.

I’m stumped like you.

I’m going to bulk prime like someone else suggested from here on out. Already got my myself a second vessel for racking the beer, which sounds like it has a lot of benefit, particularly for bulk priming.

Happy brewing!
Brew 2 for me is going to be ready for first taste this weekend so I’ll be interested to see what the early signs are like.
Brew 3 is still in the primary but it was different from the K&k I did for 1 and 2. I steeped some crystal malt and mixed it with a tin of Coopers Real Ale, then added some ‘body brew’ and LDM. Also dry hopped some galaxy hops after 7 days. Only 12l. I want to bulk prime this one.
Cheers

G'day fellas,

Two more possibilities for you to look at.
1 - The fill level in the bottles. If you're using a wand, fill the bottle to the brim (beer not foam), when you pull the wand out it leaves the correct amount of headspace. It also helps push out that remaining sanitiser foam - remember, don't fear the foam.
2 - The bottle/seal. I've had mixed results with the PET bottles, some carb up others are flat as a tack. Switching to glass bottles seemed to solve my problem.

Hope this helps you out a bit. Good luck with the brews.

G'day fellas,

Two more possibilities for you to look at.
1 - The fill level in the bottles. If you're using a wand, fill the bottle to the brim (beer not foam), when you pull the wand out it leaves the correct amount of headspace. It also helps push out that remaining sanitiser foam - remember, don't fear the foam.
2 - The bottle/seal. I've had mixed results with the PET bottles, some carb up others are flat as a tack. Switching to glass bottles seemed to solve my problem.

Hope this helps you out a bit. Good luck with the brews.
Hi Mat
BANG. This could be it!!!
Just checked the fill amount and it looks very uneven on batch 1.
Batch 2 looks much more uniform.

Hi Mat
BANG. This could be it!!!
Just checked the fill amount and it looks very uneven on batch 1.
Batch 2 looks much more uniform.

Nice mate.
Hopefully that's it, a nice easy fix.

If two carb drops doesn't carbonate it, nothing will. As others have said, there can be problems with the PET bottles and I have had some swing tops that have failed to carbonate, in which I suspect the silicon seal didn't seal properly.

You seemed to have nailed it with stable conditioning temps, put the bottles somewhere reasonably warm (20c or so) and leave them for 3 weeks- they should be well and truly carbonated by now, putting them in the fridge for a couple of days will ensure that the CO2 is dissolved well into the solution (beer) before consuming.

Sounds like you're well and truly off to a good start though, researching, thinking and asking questions.
Make sure to report back, you'll be kicking goals in no time.

Brew 2 for me is going to be ready for first taste this weekend so I’ll be interested to see what the early signs are like.
Brew 3 is still in the primary but it was different from the K&k I did for 1 and 2. I steeped some crystal malt and mixed it with a tin of Coopers Real Ale, then added some ‘body brew’ and LDM. Also dry hopped some galaxy hops after 7 days. Only 12l. I want to bulk prime this one.
Cheers
Brew 3 sounds like it'll be a killer. Keen to hear some updates down the line. Just gave all my second brew pet bottles a squeeze and noticed about half a dozen of them were about as firm as my first brew. Put one on the fridge - will try it in a couple of days (if I can keep my hands off of it tomorrow). I boiled 25g of fuggle hops for 30 minutes, another 25g for 5 minutes in my real ale. Was worried I overdid it, but upon tasting I realised I hadn't. I did purchase some crystal malt for my next batch, too :)

Honestly, if I could let them sit for three weeks I would. Alas, I'm beer-o-holic. I just can't do that waiting thing.

So.
Finished off the IPA and the last few bottles were excellent. Well carbed even the ones with uneven fills. Just needed the extra week I guess.

Currently drinking batch 2 which was the lager + 250g body brew. Let it ferment for 9 days.
It’s crystal clear, excellent carb and nice and crisp. Not really my fav style of beer but she’s very drinkable.

Batch 3 is still a fortnight away from the fridge.

Batch 4 was the same technique as 3 but I upped the crystal to 150g, the body brew to 150g, LDM to 75g and just used the coopers yeast. No hop additions.
Bit worried about the yeast to be honest as it seems to have finished a LOT quicker than the US 05 on batch 3. It will still get 14-15 days in the PF though.

Holidays for me as of an hour ago, so happy days.

Latest posts

Back