Vinegar In Mash Tun ( Cleaning ), Will It Leave A Taste ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I have just made a copper manifold for my tun. I need to clean it up with vinegar before using it, and i want to soak it in vinegar. The only bloody thing it'll fit in is my mash tun, but im not sure if i'll end up with a vinegar flavour in my beers when im done. I dont think it will, but i just want to make sure.

Any ideas?

I would have thought a decent wash with some kitchen detergent and a rinse with hot water of the MT afterwards would result in no issues for your mash.

Sweet, im doing it. Keen to try the manifold and slow run off compared to the braid and a fast runoff. The last time i used a manifold i was syphoning it out. As you can imagine, syphoning hot wort is not fun, and i quickly went to braid!.

I often make a weak vinegar solution to clean my manifold. Don't oversoak it - the solution shouldn't turn blue/green. Rinse well, no resulting flavour.

I often make a weak vinegar solution to clean my manifold. Don't oversoak it - the solution shouldn't turn blue/green. Rinse well, no resulting flavour.

Thats what I used to do. I had a feeling Manticle mentioned it somewhere - I certainly followed his manifold construction thread, without the bloodshed. I didn't even think about flavours getting into the beer, that said, my mixture was quite weak.

Back