Vinegar fly in wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micblair

Reaction score
Negative pressure pulled a dead vinegar/fruit fly into my fermenting wort, out of an airlock with Star San in it.

Yeast was only pitched around 20 hours ago and fermentation has just started - anyone keen to place wagers on what might ensue?

yeah mate it'll be fine - was in sanitiser and then will be in alcohol, it will probably settle into trub in no time. no dramas at all - pretty sure there have been stories of cockroaches found in trub on here before if you do a search...

It's happened to me before with no ill effect. That in itself means little other than aceto is not 100% certain. Yeast should be multiplying like crazy and suppress the bacterial growth. Reduce exposure to oxygen and keep it cold while maturing to decrease vinegar's chances.

micblair said:
anyone keen to place wagers on what might ensue?
You will probably end up with beer........and a dead fly in it

I would keep oxygen away from that wort as much as possible, especially when the ferment is complete - but that is important even without the fruit fly.

There's so much acetic acid bacteria around, wort is often infected with it even with good practice, as the bacteria can be airborne. However, usually there is insufficient oxygen present for it to cause much damage.

micblair said:
Negative pressure pulled a dead vinegar/fruit fly into my fermenting wort, out of an airlock with Star San in it.

Yeast was only pitched around 20 hours ago and fermentation has just started - anyone keen to place wagers on what might ensue?
Beer. Also, get rid of the airlock and use the o-ring from the lid with glad wrap and it wont happen again. Guaranteed.

Back