Viking Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technobabble66

Meat Popsicle
Reaction score
Has anyone tried these?

Viking Malts

Home Make it in Melbourne has started supplying them, and i'm guessing a few others may be as well.

They appear to have been around for decades (in Finland & the rest of Europe) but there's almost no anecdotal reviews on the various brewing sites about them.

Thoughts?

Haven't tried it, or heard of it until now.

Sounds like it would be ideal for brewing a SkullSplitter.

I'd think more toward local fresher stuff. Once I've spent all this grain I've over stocked. -_-

Nah not cheap as in cheap skate but I had a look at the site and no $ value was shown, actually I got SFA from the site hence the $.

Cheers....spog....

Aah ok.
Check the homemakeit.com.au site. They have it listed there, though only in 100g increments.
Eg: Pils & pale ale are at $0.35/100g or $3.50/kg, or $87/sack.
Not sure if they have a better sack price though.

Danscraftbeer said:
I'd think more toward local fresher stuff. Once I've spent all this grain I've over stocked. -_-
I don't think local means its any fresher. Lower carbon footprint, yes, but not necessarily fresher. A container from Europe would get here in 4-6 weeks time, that's not a great deal of time when you consider any malt has to be harvested, malted, distributed and then you're at the mercy of the wholesaler/supplier and retailer to rotate/turnover stock quickly.

And I'd also question the quality of many (not all) local grains versus some of the imported grains we get, I'm not a fan of Joe White personally (but I'm liking Voyager). Just my 2c though.

technobabble66 said:
Aah ok.
Check the homemakeit.com.au site. They have it listed there, though only in 100g increments.
Eg: Pils & pale ale are at $0.35/100g or $3.50/kg, or $87/sack.
Not sure if they have a better sack price though.
Remember when you were a Merri Masher? ;)

Spiesy said:
I don't think local means its any fresher. Lower carbon footprint, yes, but not necessarily fresher. A container from Europe would get here in 4-6 weeks time, that's not a great deal of time when you consider any malt has to be harvested, malted, distributed and then you're at the mercy of the wholesaler/supplier and retailer to rotate/turnover stock quickly.

And I'd also question the quality of many (not all) local grains versus some of the imported grains we get, I'm not a fan of Joe White personally (but I'm liking Voyager). Just my 2c though.
The main problem isn't the time to ship, but the fact that the malt spends time on a container on a ship - In the blaring sun/big storms. High temperatures and potential moisture can't be great for it. But yeah, realistically there isn't much difference.

The sad thing is that Australia is the world's biggest exporter of malting-grade barley, but we don't have much in the way of a premium domestic maltster (equivalent of Weyermann).

klangers said:
The main problem isn't the time to ship, but the fact that the malt spends time on a container on a ship - In the blaring sun/big storms. High temperatures and potential moisture can't be great for it. But yeah, realistically there isn't much difference.

The sad thing is that Australia is the world's biggest exporter of malting-grade barley, but we don't have much in the way of a premium domestic maltster (equivalent of Weyermann).
Some containers are air conditioned. I don't know if that applies to malt. But the same can be said for local grains - some warehouses and homebrew shops are air conditioned - many are not.

Spiesy said:
Some containers are air conditioned. I don't know if that applies to malt. But the same can be said for local grains - some warehouses and homebrew shops are air conditioned - many are not.
You're right. "Reefers" can be used, but this is very rare for malt due to the low value:volume of grain. Also depends if the malt is delivered in bulk or in sealed sacks.

I've never found an issue with imported grain. As you say, I've been underwhelmed by JW. There's always so many stalks and stones in their malt.

why are doubting the quality of this grain by the way it's transported.HOW many other brand grains are bought over here by ship in containers,

Spiesy said:
Remember when you were a Merri Masher? ;)
It's all a bit of a distant haze ... The president's booming laugh ringing in my ears and some dreadlocked guy thrusting glasses of draught beer at me... Like some scene out of a David Lynch film.
Good times.

Tbh, I just keep missing the Tuesday meetings due to work and stupidity. But I need to contact the treasurer ASAP and sign back on board with my hard earned. Then go hunting the Viking malt. [emoji41]

I'm starting to run low on TFFMMO & Wey Munich 2 (& Yob is too lazy to organize a BB at the mo') so I was eyeing off the Viking Pale Ale as an option (... & their Munich) (... & their Red Ale) [emoji57].
The price is certainly appealing, but I'd rather spend extra to get good quality if needed. However, if Viking is both good and cheap then it's Charlie Sheen time ... WINNING!

DU99 said:
why are doubting the quality of this grain by the way it's transported.HOW many other brand grains are bought over here by ship in containers,
I'm not too stressed about it, but I'd certainly note it as a *possible* issue. I use a lot of Weyermann and have been v happy with it, hence I'm not really bothered by the distance at this point.
I'm more concerned with the basic quality of the grain.
I guess given the price I'd wonder if they're cutting quality somewhere compared to, say Weyermann - eg: maybe Wey pay more for better transport or better grain, etc?
Conversely, just because something is more or less expensive doesn't always translate into better or poorer quality. They might just be more competitive.
Hence this thread and the questions really. Theories aside, I was hoping to hear of someone/anyone in the English speaking world who has tried Viking at a homebrew level and what their results are. Hear of some Empirical evidence, n' shit... [emoji5]️

Latest posts

Back