Viking beer ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruddager

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this recipe?

http://distantmirror.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/scandinavian-sahti-recipe.jpg

I'm interested in trying the extract version, so here's what I've come up with as a metric conversion:

3kg Pilsen LME (they ask for 8lbs, which is more like 3.6kg, so might ad 500g LDM too)
450g dark brown sugar
225g crystal
225g smoked rye malt (never heard of this before, but apparently it exists)
30g crushed juniper berries
30g hallertau hops
1 six-inch juniper branch
European ale yeast

The grains and branch are steeped, then the hops and berries are boiled for 60 minutes. My main concern though is that with all the malt and very few hops (and a fairly non-bitter hop at that) it will just be way too sweet. Is that just how the style (Sahti) is?

Its not sahti.
Search for juniper ale on here. Some good discussions on recipe.
Personallly is used hops and 200g of dries juniper (from memory) and it could use more. The juniper branch adds bitterness. I also dont thinkbu need the brown sugar.

Where are u getting juniper branches from.

Yob said:
The messiah? is not the miricle of Juniper bushes enough?

how shall I **** off Oh Lord??

... sorry...
Ha. Monty Python yeah?

I blame you bastards.. yes Im looking at you CM2 for the flagrant use of the word Juniper... for the last hour Ive spent watching Python skits.. all it took was Juniper...

sorry Ive not been able to help much with the questions but it has kept the post alive :)

Come and see the violence inherent in the system.

Definitely not sahti.
Sahti is generally made by pouring the mash through a bed of firs which are on a bed of hayish type stuff in a wooden trough.
Well the one I tried was made this way.

Incredible conifer/piney earthy flavours. Quite strong to.

Love life of brian. I coild have told the guy to use the search button ffs, but then I wouldnt be the Messiah, just a very naughty boy.

Back on topic. Depending on the route u want to take its either a realky malt driven ale or lager (I like lager) or a fairly light rustic high alc (ie light ale) beer relying on the flavour of juniper etc. 2 schools of thought (like the peoples front of judia and the judian people front).

Not sure about pils. Seems too light to me. Have a look at the juniper ale thread like I suggested or Radical Brewing. I created my recipefrom a blend of recipes and styles.

Smoked rye exists but I just used smoke ale malt. Lovely lovely stuff. Use some normal rye in their though as well as its kind of traditional as far as being an older grain.

citymorgue2 said:
Search for juniper ale on here. Some good discussions on recipe.
Hmm, juniper ale - sounds like what I want to do. Can't find a specific thread though unfortunately. Oh well, Google is my friend, let's see what I can find ...

Back