Vigorous Ferments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Now I am sure this thread may already exist but I cannot find it for the life of me (feel free to move it if it does!). A good place to pile all the pics of aggressive ferments for others to see :)

Had my first out of control ferment this week. Brewed a Saison on Monday and missed the vol by 2L so only had 17L in the fermenter. Also had one of those new wyeast activator packs which I smacked in the morning (3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast) however it was not that swollen by 5pm despite the reports others have given.

I chucked a tsp of wyeat nutrient into the boil and airated for about 4hours with an airstone (pic in this thread).

Well no sign of action until Wed morning (was getting worried) but then it took of like a rocket! The Krausen managed to fill the remaining 15L or so of the fermenter and puke out the top a bit, you can see the volume in the pic below :eek: very impressive if not as explosive as others have had :p Never seen anything like it before :ph34r:

Could have been the strain of yeast? Nutrient? Airation?

BEER_BENCH_021.jpg

I used a that Wyeast nutrient as well on a brew I did a couple of weeks ago and and it took off like a cat on fire and was down to 1.008 within a week. Nearly all of my previous brews are slow, so I'm working on the 'nutrient is good' theory until proved otherwise....

Nice one Jason, I also had an ugly experience with an oatmeal stout fermented on a cake of 1056 American ale on my last brew. It was destined for trouble from the start, pitching such a big yeast starter on a solid beer, on top of that I was aiming for 25L but ended up with greater efficiency than expected and so ended up scaling the beer up to make 27L into the (30L) fermenter.

I carefully pitched at a controlled 16C and fermented at this, but of course if got out of control when I went to work the next day. I haven't had one climb out until this point and this one was with a bloody top cropping yeast. I had yeasty sludge oozzing from that fermenter for 3 days and I couldn't find my blow off tube (and still cant?).

Made a right mess. But the beer is GOOOOOOOOD, even after only 1.5 weeks in the keg.

Cheers, Justin

Just kegged a split batch of American Ale using both wy1056 liquid yeast and 20g of S-56 dried yeast (supposedly the same strain). Liquid was made up to a 1.5 litre starter, the 20g of dried wad re-hydrated then pitched.
There was a noticeable difference in krausen heads, the liquid blew out of one fermentor, but the dry maintained a 1.5" krausen for the two weeks in the primary...

Asher for now

Back