Vienna Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshF

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was checking out the highly-regarded little creatures bright ale clone in the recipes database and am keen to give this a crack (by crack i mean observe and most likely hold utensils) with a mate who has done all-grain before many times albeit many years ago.

Anyhow, the recipe calls for Weyermann Vienna malt but my question is could Joe White Vienna be used as a substitute or are these two different animals sharing a similar name, kind of like Saaz and B Saaz?

cheers!

Josh

My opinion of the two is that Weyermann has a much nicer flavour (or one I prefer). Same in the way that saxa salt and maldon are both salt. That's where it ends for me.

Your mileage may vary. Best way is to try the same recipe with each malt and decide for yourself which you prefer.

Hi guys,
I was checking out the highly-regarded little creatures bright ale clone in the recipes database and am keen to give this a crack (by crack i mean observe and most likely hold utensils) with a mate who has done all-grain before many times albeit many years ago.

Anyhow, the recipe calls for Weyermann Vienna malt but my question is could Joe White Vienna be used as a substitute or are these two different animals sharing a similar name, kind of like Saaz and B Saaz?

cheers!

Josh

I almost exclusively use JW as it is Australian and very easily available in Sydney. JW vienna and Wyer Vienna are much closer than Saaz & B Saaz.

thanks fellas. Will try the JW Vienna and see how it turns out. Cheers :)

Back