Victory Amber

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
Still trying to use up my bag of Victory malt.

It looks and tastes so good in the bucket. :D

I was thinking of doing a smash with it, but it came out too dark for me, so i thought about doing it 50/50 with pilsener malt to still get a strong tasting amber...

Would this be a drinkable beer that would be something i'd want to brew again, or would it be a ridiculous idea..??

Victory Amber (American Amber Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 4.86 %
Colour (SRM): 13.2 (EBC): 25.9
Bitterness (IBU): 38.8 (Average)

50% Pilsner
50% Victory

1.4 g/L Centennial (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Centennial (8.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.6 g/L Cascade (5.4% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I use amarillo in my AAA and it goes well with the Centenial. Never used victory in any great quantity. but one way to find out. And if your getting into the no chill try all the hops late in the boil, like start at 20 mins if thats your thing. The article on the Mr Malty site is pretty good and has the Evil Twin recipe.

I use amarillo in my AAA and it goes well with the Centenial. Never used victory in any great quantity. but one way to find out. And if your getting into the no chill try all the hops late in the boil, like start at 20 mins if thats your thing. The article on the Mr Malty site is pretty good and has the Evil Twin recipe.

Thanks. i'm going to do a version of that Evil twin recipe with the late hops as my fourth batch this week.

Cheers for the tip. B)

Still trying to use up my bag of Victory malt.

It looks and tastes so good in the bucket. :D

I was thinking of doing a smash with it, but it came out too dark for me, so i thought about doing it 50/50 with pilsener malt to still get a strong tasting amber...

Would this be a drinkable beer that would be something i'd want to brew again, or would it be a ridiculous idea..??

To me this looks equivalent to using 50% Crystal in your beer. I think it will not be attenuative and leave the beer cloyingly sweet.

I could be completely wrong, but my understanding is this is a specialty / steeping malt with the starch conversion done in the kilning processes like crystal malts.

I wouldn't do it

Cheers :beer:

Shop Online
Categories G5351
Victory Malt (Briess)
Code: G5351
Name: Victory Malt (Briess)
Price AUD $5.50 Per KG
Weight grams

Description:
EBC: 50 - 60 (Steep): This exceptional malt delivers truly unique biscuity, nutty flavours.
Well suited for Nut Brown Ales & other dark beers. Its clean flavor makes it well suited
for ales & lagers alike. Use in small amounts to add complexity to lighter coloured beers.

50 % maybe otp

Thanks guys i read all that too. I am a learner hence the question.

Well suited for Nut Brown Ales & other dark beers. Its clean flavor makes it well suited
for ales & lagers alike

I was looking at this bit rather than the lighter coloured beers statement. I figured it may have been two different statements :huh:

As i said, just learning.

If i was going to spend half a day just amking up one kegs worth of beer i'd give it whirl just to see what happened, not afraind of the cash with one batch, just the time.

Anyway, i'll do the evil one and put this in the planning stage, toss it round and maybe ask someone.

To me this looks equivalent to using 50% Crystal in your beer. I think it will not be attenuative and leave the beer cloyingly sweet.

I could be completely wrong, but my understanding is this is a specialty / steeping malt with the starch conversion done in the kilning processes like crystal malts.

I wouldn't do it

Cheers :beer:

It's not an overly sweet malt - more toasty and nutty. Think weyermans vienna.

I'd still not be inclined to use it in massive amounts but it shouldn't taste like 50% crystal.

Found this at briess website as interested myself

CHARACTERISTICS / APPLICATIONS
With an aroma of baking bread, Victory Malt is well suited for Nut Brown Ales & other dark beers.
Its clean flavor makes it well suited for ales and lagers alike
Use in small amounts to add complexity and warm color to lighter colored ales and lagers
2-8% Doppelbock, Mild Ales
5-15 Amber ales and lagers, Brown Ales
5-25% Scotch ales and other dark beers

Hope this helps
cheers
sean

It's not an overly sweet malt - more toasty and nutty. Think weyermans vienna.

I'd still not be inclined to use it in massive amounts but it shouldn't taste like 50% crystal.

And it will be nothing like a crystal but I would not use more than 10% in a pale ale or 25% in something like a dark ale. As Manticle noted it is a toasty and nutty malt. Google up the Breiss website for more info.

Wes

Found this at briess website as interested myself

CHARACTERISTICS / APPLICATIONS
With an aroma of baking bread, Victory Malt is well suited for Nut Brown Ales & other dark beers.
Its clean flavor makes it well suited for ales and lagers alike
Use in small amounts to add complexity and warm color to lighter colored ales and lagers
2-8% Doppelbock, Mild Ales
5-15 Amber ales and lagers, Brown Ales
5-25% Scotch ales and other dark beers

Hope this helps
cheers
sean

Thanks mate, i'll confidently try it at 25% now in an amber B)

Back