Victoria's Secret: Where to buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahlerisms

Reaction score
HI All,

Looking over the GABF Hop Jockey recipe, it's the first one I've come across that calls for Victoria's Secret hops. My usual merchants don't stock them - anyone able to recommend to me either someone in Melbourne that's stocking them and/or someone that'll ship them to me?

There was some talk of these hops in the thread over the weekend regarding Dr Smurto's Golden Ale. The doc grows Victoria hops himself, and they don't appear to be available commercially. Read here.

Are Victoria and Victoria's Secret the same hop? I can't find any reference online to them being the same thing.

I thought Victoria's Secret hops were just Victoria hops wearing a g-string??

I reckon my home grown Cluster have a similar or same type of flavour to those secret ones. :ph34r:

The dwarf ones. They grow 3 metres tall.

Well, my cones look like Batz's and they matured at the same time on my second year plants.

Face palm to you to Shmurto. :p

bum said:
Are Victoria and Victoria's Secret the same hop? I can't find any reference online to them being the same thing.
Ive got a near certain answer here man... They dont appear to be, there are a few experiments going on currently and all that Ive heard place them as a different cultivar to Victoria.

Seems odd to have 2 plants named so close, I can assure you that what Ive been stocking is Victoria Secret not the other similarly named cultivar. (Restocking this week)

:icon_cheers:

I brewed a rye golden ale on Saturday using Victoria Secret so have some early impressions. I have a rye golden ale on tap with my homegrown Victoria so had a few pints during brewday.

Victoria Secret is nothing like the Victoria I grow.

I describe my Victoria as loquats - mango and citrus. Very smooth.

Victoria Secret is very different. Just opening the bag and having a big whiff told me that. Pungent, resinous grapefruit - reminded me a lot of US Chinook.

Each time I added the hops to the kettle I stuck my nose in and had a whiff and also had a smell and taste out of the plate chiller before pitching yeast. Grapefruit. I'm happy with early tastes.

At 17.2% AA I was able to use a 1.5g/L addition at 15 mins to hit 30 IBU. I added a 2g/L addition at flameout.

Once I have this on tap I can do a side by side taste test although my rye Victoria golden ale was kegged a few weeks ago.

rephrase.. some large batches? with near a kg of those hops, I expect they will last you some time? If doc's weights come out as a good indicator then looking at what, approx 90g per 20lt batch size? (unless my sleepy brain still no do mathsy so good)

ed: Coffee has suggested it's 70g :)

either way, looking forward to your feedback on them when you use them as well mate.

:beer:

AAhh sorry, yes i do 84l batches. I'm a guzzler, not a beer/food pairer :D

Will certainly be happy to feedback.

Back