Victorian Hop Growing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djhoggett

Reaction score
Does anyone reading have experience growing hops in Southern Victoria? curious to find out if CASCADE & 'SUPER CASCADE' (CENTENNIAL) hops are able to grow here?

Vic is a good place to grow hops, there's a few hop farms around the state. You should be able to grow most varieties here, cascade is one of the more vigorous ones too.

I'm down at Foster and last September planted out a Cascade and four Chinook rhizomes that I picked up from Dr Smurto and a Halertau from a pot that I picked up from Siborg. Two of the Chinooks took off like crazy, one struggled and has only put up one short shoot and then stopped and the other one doesn't seem to have made it. The Cascade was a bit slow to take off as well as the Halertau but both are now growing like crazy each day. No sign of flowers yet but hopefully they wont be far off.

If someone could tell me how to load photos into a post I"ll put some on otherwise your more than welcome to PM me for details if you want to come around for a look.

Yep hops like Gippsland i am around Yarram way and these are first year POR and Chinook.

Darrenp - click on add reply, go to choose file - right hand side under text box, choose your file then hit upload.
You then need to go to the left - manage current attachments drop down box and hit the green + sign, it will place the pic where ever
you have the cursor for typing of text.

10_6_10_to_7_7_10.jpg

Back