Victorian 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can organise it with clever.

Can you send me the recipe so I can upscale please?

Hope all is alright at home Mardoo.

So far, all the ambers I’ve done have fared best with the traditional C hops - Cascade, Columbus, Chinook - and Simcoe. Centennial, Ahtanum, Mosaic, Amarillo, and variants on those flavours are all good. Basically, give the fruity hops a foil with something dank and it’ll be great. I did one with all stonefruit hops and it was interesting, but I never wanted more than a schooner.

And thanks Russ, all will be well, I just need to get some things in order quickly.

Lol - my general preferred choice is Chinook + Columbus + Simcoe. Possibly plus either Cascade or Citra. Great minds think alike!

I was just asking as i have extra options like Centennial, Mosaic, Horizon, Moteuka, Nelson & Falconers Flight (a blend, i know) - so just wondering what key flavours/aromas you get from those?
Or more to the point, what is best in your opinion for either Dank or Stonefruit. I've had experience with all of them, so have some idea what i think i was getting from each, but it's always great to hear other people's impressions on hops, i find. ;)

I'd normally go the Columbus for the Dank element, but having trialled Centennial a few times, i'm still not sure if it's a reasonable option for Dank :confused:.

Either way, i think i'll end up going the Chinook/Columbus/Simcoe + Cascade combo for the cube & dry hopping. Pretty much a foolproof combo!

I, too, would love to hear other people's input on this.

Centennial has a touch of dank, but not enough for my tastes. I myself tend to use it for its fruit aspects. Columbus and Simcoe are my go-to's for dank. Apollo and Comet are fantastic for some solid dank. Northern Brewer (German) has a bit of it. Huell Melon does as well, but mostly enough to balance its sweeter aromas out. I find Southern Cross a bit dank.

Amarillo of course for stone fruit. I myself find Mosaic to be stone fruit in small quantities, petrol-ish if late-hopped in large quantities. Caliente has a nice bit of cherry to my palate. If you can still find Summer (it's gone out of production, which shits me) it's solidly apricot, but solely for in-cube and dry hop. I love it and Huell Melon for kolsch-ish beers. Rakau (NZ) is said to be stone fruit, but I haven't used it.

Horses for courses. Aromatic and flavour organoleptic assessment will never be an exact science, because every one of the sensing mechanisms is built in a different factory, AKA Mom.

Best American Amber I've ever made had a large cube hop addition of fresh home grown Victoria flowers...surprisingly dank with 'dark'(?) citrus overtones. Was very nice.

Yep, absolutely, Victoria is an awesome dank/fruit hop. Hence why it survived my cut from 10 to 2 hop plants.

However, getting 100g+ of flowers into cubes is time consuming and sticky.

PS: I somehow got two more hop plants after the cut, and have one final one on the books for next year. Really. Last one.

Last edited:
Well I guess you better bring enough for everyone then ;) hahahah

Haha! I've got a grand total of 25g left in the freezer! I'm tempted to use them with the 80 or so grams of cascade flowers from last season I've got left too. Should be nice.

OK @Russ and everyone, recipe for swap system, including Beersmith files for swap brew and Swap System. I adjusted the Swap System profile based on Husky's notes in the winter swap thread and my observations from the Collab Brew a couple weeks ago.

150 kilos Simpson's Golden Promise
25 kilos Gladfield Supernova
8 kilos light crystal (Baird's or Simpson's)
8 kilos dark crystal (Baird's or Simpson's)
6 kilos Biscuit (Dingeman's)
500g German Magnum pellets @ 13.2% (current Clever stock alpha %)

Attachments

• Swap Amber V4.bsmx
    24.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Swap System V2.bsmx
    1.3 KB · Views: 50
So that's a 700 litre batch, so we may need to adjust cubists, or scale the recipe to the actual number of cubes people want. I'll put a note in the swap thread.

Oh, AND, dropping the gravity to 1.060-ish means we only have to run Idzy’s two large mashtuns and don’t need the third.

We’re not done yet! I realised that the recipe I posted still has the mash steps as I would do them on my home system.

Do we want to avoid mash stepping as we did on the Collab Brew? It definitely knocked a few hours off the day, IMHAO. Probably a good idea. Me, I’m a confirmed stepper, but when it comes to adding hours into a long brew day, one may find me flexible in that regard.

If it can work and be tasty without the step I reckon that's the way forward.

It appeared to work out alright on the collaboration brew :)

Yeah, it will. I mean, hell, with the temp problems we had when I did the test recipe on the collab day, and it made pretty decent beer, it will most certainly make beer. Most craft brewers use single infusion with a hot sparge.

Would there be any interest (@Nullnvoid & @Mardoo ) in subbing a few kilos of Biscuit with Victory?
I think i've got several kilos of Victory from a BB a couple of years ago (still fine, but i can double check if required), and i'm unlikely to plough through it soon. So i can easily cover 2-3kgs, possibly all 6kg of biscuit of the recipe.
Interested, or prefer to stick to the biscuit?

Ella is another option for subtle stone fruit, not sure how it plays with the ‘Cs’ and had planned on an all Ella APA soon to see what it has, might change my mind and combine it with others for this brew hmmmmn

So was there a final consensus on cube hop additions? Am thinking 25g of Victoria flowers and 50g of cascade flowers and probably ferment with US05.

Back