Victorian 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Westy 8 !!!
Leffe Blonde or Gulden Draak

Or an IPA/DIPA. (The Pliny the Elder could easily be repeated).

Edit: Obviously something with oats in it is required.

Last edited:
A weissbier and a hoppy Amber. Both good summer drinking.

And yes, the precedent has been set it seems. Damn I wish I could have been there!

I'd note a few things that would make the Friday brew smoother.

All grain on site and milled before 5pm (preferably milled in the days prior).

strike water on the go early afternoon. (mash in was around 730)

Don't twist ankle when brewing Friday night (ankle is currently small melon size)

finish well before 3am.

So I guess there are now a couple of other things to consider. Do we keep the Friday night brew as a dogs breakfast or is it, it's own brew? If so, we probably need another head brewer to take on that one. I'm happy to do one, not sure my energy levels could cope with two :) But I'm also up for a challenge.

Also if a second brew, do we have a seperate thread so not to get the two confused. We have 6 months, and these threads tend to come and go and get quite long by the end.

Discuss.

Fwiw, Saturday could be a big beer, then run a partigyle off it for the 2nd.
We could go down this route especially if the Gyle works as a saison, I reckon. The Gyle from the Westy12 turned out to be a fantastic saison. I s'pose a light hoppy mid-strength ale or pacific ale might work also.

So for me, I'd probably favour the Big Hoppy Amber for the main, but I'm not sure how that grist will go as a partigyle Belgian. Depends on the recipe of course, but I've found some darker grains produce "interesting" results in saisons (though maybe a Belgian strong yeast would be fine... Hmmm).
Just throwing thoughts out here at the mo'

Edit: +1 to MJ's post a couple above

Just throwing thoughts out here at the mo'

Yeah, that's what it's about. Thread is less than 24 hours old and we have 6 months. No need to pin something down right away.

But if I read correctly, you are talking 3 beers? Friday night, then a big beer Saturday, leading into a Saison or similiar. That's a **** load of cubes. Do we know anyone that can access heaps of cubes?? ;)

So I guess there are now a couple of other things to consider. Do we keep the Friday night brew as a dogs breakfast or is it, it's own brew? If so, we probably need another head brewer to take on that one. I'm happy to do one, not sure my energy levels could cope with two :) But I'm also up for a challenge.

Also if a second brew, do we have a seperate thread so not to get the two confused. We have 6 months, and these threads tend to come and go and get quite long by the end.

Discuss.

Can be either, depends on contributors of the ingredients to some extent. And how well this recent one turns out [emoji1]
I'd favour having a recipe, though, for sure. I prefer plans and quantitative targets. Casual is fine, though, if that's the consensus. Especially if we're using Something English hops ...

Might be good to have both the Friday & Saturday recipes on the same thread, just so the recipes might compliment each other &/or the selection process might be a bit more cohesive. And if we're buying ingredients for the Friday brew, might be handy to have it all in one spot to see the overall ingredients list. We should be clever enough to differentiate between the 2 recipes through the thread. Maybe start it all together and if that's a balls up, split to a 2nd?

I'd also suggest it might be good for Saturday's head brewer to attend the Friday night, and maybe one of us who's done it before to run the Friday night. That way it might be a good use of the opportunity to have Friday night as a quick & casual educational crash course in large scale brewing on the big rig. I know we're not talking rocket science here, but it might help bring more guys into the lofty ranks of Head Big Brewer [emoji1].

Hey, if we're all set up and rocking Friday night, after the MLTs are drained, they could be emptied and then the Saturday grist mashed in and left overnight. That way it's ready to rock at wake-up!!
Between Wayne & Idzy's big kettles, we should have plenty hot water to hit strike while the Friday night's brew is boiling.
Basically just heat the 550L water, mill the grist and empty into MLTs, flood in the strike water. Seal. Jobs done until Saturday!
And if the Saturday HB is there, they can take all that process over as soon as the sparge is drained out of the last MLT for the Friday brew.

I'd also suggest it might be good for Saturday's head brewer to attend the Friday night, and maybe one of us who's done it before to run the Friday night. That way it might be a good use of the opportunity to have Friday night as a quick & casual educational crash course in large scale brewing on the big rig. I know we're not talking rocket science here, but it might help bring more guys into the lofty ranks of Head Big Brewer
emoji1.png

Like me for example.....hahahaha :)

But yeah, I should be there Friday night. Have more excuse if I am the Head Brewer on Saturday.

Back