VICBREW - Seeking an understudy as Chief Steward

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Reaction score
As part of the Vicbrew committee's succession planning, we're looking for someone prepared to step-up & learn/take-on the role of Chief Steward from me.

I'll be blunt & honest with you - it's a toughie! Next to the Competition Organiser, it's the most responsible role when it comes to running the competition & you can't back-off until the job is completely finished.

Whilst there will be no formal "interview" for the position, you'll need to get heavily involved with (& earn the trust of) the Committee to take-on the role by proving your worth over several years before I'll relinquish the role to you...... I will have have ultimate veto if you're unsuitable for the role or lack the self-confidence to carry it.

Key attributes:

1. Dedicated to the job & self-motivated.
2. Ability to lead, motivate & organise a team of people of varying capacity.
3. Decisive.
4. Flexible. This is a biggie!
5. A loud voice to tell people to "SHUT THE **** UP" if needed. :))
6. A sense of humour (another biggie). ;))

Someone with an ex-military background would be perfect for this role, but I'll consider someone who hasn't jumped from 500ft with gear, at night.....

Did I forget to mention a sense of humour....??? :))

Martin

Yep, already done & the Committee members will pass the call around their clubs as well.

PM me if you're interested.

Well, it looks like the anti-competition nazis have deleted a post from someone they didn't like, but in any event....

Not one single EOI from this forum's members? Disappointing. I'll take this elsewhere.

Yeah.

Everyone wants competitions so they can enter their beers & get feedback on them, but aren't prepared to lift a finger to make that happen for everyone else as well? Just sit-back & let others do the work.....until there's a car wreck & key roles are left vacant. Not a good idea at all!!!!!

That's what the Committee is trying to avoid right now by succession-planning. Key roles need to be learned over several years, as there's a lot of stuff that can't simply be written-down & followed - it needs hands-on experience. Particularly the "Chiefy" one, as you need to learn the capabilities of the Trojan guys that turn-up & Steward every year. Year-in, year out.

Some are magnificent "set & forget" missiles, whilst others need a bit of hand-holding & can't be over-loaded or else they can get a bit "flappy". This takes observation over time. Then there's the newbies.......

Since we only get one shot at this each year, it takes a few years to come to grips with what's required.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bailing out anytime soon & will happily teach/guide/mentor the right candidate who wants to play.

Time commitment is minimal, as the Committee does a lot of discussion by emails, with a few actual meetings, where we get together, share a few beers & sort stuff out.

This is supposed to be a Community, right???

It is a community, albeit a very small community which has been split in two, maybe some clubs like Merri Mashers as an instance want to run their comps in their own way, with their own rules. It is just a friendly competition not a 'Stand by your beds don't speak until your spoken to' sort of attitude.
I left all that behind when I left the forces in the 80's.

Whatever, mate.

Clearly, we've never met in person, or you wouldn't be making derogatory comments about how I go about things.

Your comments obviously come from a position of ignorance, rather than knowledge & experience. That's OK, I can take them on-board, but will dismiss them if they don't help the collective cause. I find little sport engaging in a battle of wits with someone who is obviously unarmed.

You've obviously read the comments I made on the Merri Mashers comp. thread. They were all meant to help the organisers avoid problems that we've encountered over the MANY years the Vicbrew Committee has been running. Potentially helping, not criticising.

Before you or anyone asks, yes, I'm ex-military (Commando). Trained by ex-SAS Vietnam veterans (including Hans Fleer - look him up). I learned that you go with what you've got, give it your best shot & try to make the best of it. No "stand by your beds" shit.

I invite you to a face-to-face meeting, where you'll discover I'm actually a bit of a pussycat.

A Vicbrew meeting would be the ideal if you want to turn-up & get involved in the discussions. This is a personal invitation to you. PM me for details, as I'd like to meet you if you're interested.

I promise not to bring an automatic weapon to the meeting;)

PS.

Hans Fleer's son (Michael) is a homebrewer.

We had one hell of a chat..............

Hey Martin, I can't say I'll be putting my hand up any time soon to run the stewarding at Vicbrew (got enough on my plate with our own comp and club), but I'm more than happy to help out the Vicbrew team if more help is needed.

-Cam (Vice Prez Merri Mashers)

Back