VICBREW 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Reaction score
Hi fellow home-brewers and craft-brewers.

We would like to invite you to volunteer to JUDGE &/or STEWARD at VicBrew 2017.

This year it will be held on the 16th and 17th of September at the Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka:

5 Riverside Quay, Southbank Melbourne, Melways 2F E7. Located about 5 minutes walk from Flinders St. Station across the Evan-Walker bridge.

This is a BJCP sanctioned and registered competition and all Judges are welcome.

To register your interest, please fill out the form located here https://goo.gl/forms/iyRJ1IRE2613rzdI3 with your details and preferences.

Why volunteer at VicBrew?

Evaluate some of the best home-brewed beer in the state in Australia's biggest homebrewing competition.

Hone your judging skills by judging alongside highly experienced beer judges.

Earn BJCP points.

Free lunch provided for all volunteers.

Novice Judges and Stewards are welcome, with on-the-job training provided.

A great range of Belgian beers and craft brews in the Eureka bar downstairs (those ones, you have to pay for...).

Starting and finishing times for Saturday and Sunday are expected to be 9.00 am to 5:00 pm with judging organised in two sessions.

It's a massive team-effort between the Judges & Stewards & neither can get the job done without the other, so we need everyone to contribute where they can.

We encourage you to pass this message along to any of your friends or acquaintances who might be interested in judging or stewarding. If you have questions, feel free to email [email protected]

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

The VicBrew 2017 committee.

Madness I really need to plan what beers I wanna enter.

Have entered myself as a steward (still too scared to judge need to work on my palate for another year I reckon), also talked a couple of mates to give stewarding a crack so should be a fun day!

Hi Vic Brew Team,
Can postal entries be sent to any of the drop off points? Or is there a specific one they have to go to?
Cheers

Hi Martin and Co - a quick question.

I have a soured black ale that's been aged on cherries. Just checking that the correct category to enter this in would be 18.6 Belgian Specialty Ale. Thanks in advance!

Hi Vic Brew Team,
Can postal entries be sent to any of the drop off points? Or is there a specific one they have to go to?
Cheers

Might just send it to Grain and grape and hope it makes it to Vic Brew.

Sorry, guys. I just discovered that I haven't been getting notifications of posts in this thread.

A reminder that ENTRIES CLOSE THIS SATURDAY & must be at the designated drop-off points BEFORE 1PM. There will be no late entries, nor extra pickups after that day/time.

Hi Martin and Co - a quick question.

I have a soured black ale that's been aged on cherries. Just checking that the correct category to enter this in would be 18.6 Belgian Specialty Ale. Thanks in advance!

From that description, you'd probably need to put it into 18.9 (Experimental), as it doesn't really fit elsewhere. Don't forget to include details of what you used, specialty ingredients &/or techniques (this will be provided to the Judges, so make it clear, but not long-winded).

The venue is the Belgian Beer Cafe Southbank as usual. And yes we need stewards, especially for the Sunday.

Cheers,

Adam.

Cool, just still says TBA on the website :)

I'm trying to get a leave pass to come. Will try and wrangle for the Sunday!

As per Adam's post above, we'll definitely want/need Stewards across the weekend.

We're a bit low for Sunday, but can probably do with a couple of extra hands if you're free. Sunday is generally the easier day, as we've broken the back of the judging requirements on the Saturday.

That makes for a "relatively cruisy" Sunday, but a couple of years ago Sunday became an absolute bitch, because no-one turned-up 'cos everyone thought "it's done, I won't bother".

Turn-up & help-out!

What can I say other than "Free beer & food for a day"?

Register your comittment here: https://goo.gl/forms/iyRJ1IRE2613rzdI3

Hey, went to drop off 3 entries at Reservoir and was told to prepare your entry online first (fair enough, and should've organized this a week ago [emoji57]). Filled out the compmaster form to get an account (~3:30pm today) and waited to get my confirmation email with password. Still hasn't arrived.
How long would it normally take?
The site said it's already sent when I completed the form but it's definitely not turned up in my inbox nor junk folder.
Is there a contingency plan for this, or have I basically missed out this year? (No biggie if so, as I said, should've organized this last week while staring at the compmaster site [emoji17]).

I can't see your name on the entrants list, but others have definitely been lodging entries yesterday (the last-minute flurry).

All I can suggest is that you try again & see what happens.

completely missed the boat here, bugger it all

good luck to those that enter and please volunteer your time if you can

Managed to sneak mine in and dash to work with 4 mins to spare. My account confirmation came through this morning, so I'm guessing hotmail's filters might've delayed it. Fuckers!
All good now. Thanks to Martin for the follow up. [emoji6]

PS: clearing a little space on the mantle for my impending trophies :cool:

Last edited:
Back