VICBREW 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartinOC said:
Thanks Wonderwoman (I don't remember seeing seeing your red & gold lycra suit today, but maybe that's the effect of your "lassoo of truth"?).
I was incognito yesterday

My RIS came 4th...

pipped at the post by Yob by 1 point.

On the flip side, my IIPA seems to have secured the lowest score in the entire comp... lol

Nullnvoid said:
Thanks. Yes it was the 2015 Swap Beer. So I guess technically it's a 4th for all of us :)
thats Ok I did the same with my Stout we brewed at the swap at Yobs a few years back. It placed 5th

the easy part:

Thanks to the Vicbrew committee, the Judges, Stewards, the Belgian Beer Cafe Southbank for hosting and all the sponsors large and small. Thanks to Yob and his wonderful family for hosting me!

the hard part:

The tough part about competing is dealing with not doing very well, you think you're doing OK and you find out you really kinda sucked - that's tough, thought my Marzen was a fine drop and it tanked.

Hopefully the feedback is constructive and succinct so I can reflect and come away with a better understanding of how to make my entries more betterer next time. I did send back (via Mort) some scoresheets from a couple of tables that had sections completely blank. Hopefully those brewers will now have some decent feedback.

cheers

GrumpyPaul said:
Well done to all.

A huge amount of "No Clubbers" this year.

Phil Rayner - whoever you are, please join Melbourne brewers.
Yep - I will. Pretty stoked with the results, pipped by Kris by a point by my reckoning. Huge thanks to all involved, judges, stewards and especially the vicbrew committee. P****d off I couldn't make it this year as last year was a blast.

dannymars said:
My RIS came 4th...

pipped at the post by Yob by 1 point.

On the flip side, my IIPA seems to have secured the lowest score in the entire comp... lol
Same here mate. My IPA scored around the 44's at Pale Ale Mania comp few weeks ago but was second last in this. Something must of went wrong in that bottle haha. Look forward to the score sheet.

Got a second for my English Brown at least. :)

Yob said:
BnT you prick!!

got me on countback and nudged me to fourth in specialty :lol: ;)
A fourth only separated from third on count back hurts the most :lol:

Black n Tan said:
A fourth only separated from third on count back hurts the most :lol:
You may still get the call-up for the Nationals if one of the place-getters can't field a beer.

Has happened before (from 1st hand experience)

WarmerBeer said:
You may still get the call-up for the Nationals if one of the place-getters can't field a beer.

Has happened before (from 1st hand experience)
I agree, Grant should sit this one out

Looks like 3/4 & 5 all had the same score in specialty ... How does that work?

I reckon given the tightness of the 3 equal thirds there would be a good argument for the Vicbrew committee to get dispensation for 1st, 2nd and the three =3rds to be entered into AABC.

All those in favor of the Vicbrew committee appraoching the AABC commitee say AYE

My Düsseldorf Altbier got 6th, fooking stoked with that! Especially cos I used Spalt hops and Jamil says don't use Spalt in comps as it throws perceptions out.

Two beers entered both scored over 100 so very happy as I've vastly improved since last year. Can't wait to see the score sheets for comments and feedback ! Thanks to all again [emoji1]

dannymars said:
Usually separated on countback: often the beer with the narrowest point spread comes top, even though the point totals are identical.

Eaxmple: a beer that got 39, 40, 41 to total 120 would win over a beer that got 39, 39, 42 to total 120.

dannymars said:
Might want to check the scoresheet for that, I recall there being an IIPA that came back with a very, very low score, because it wasn't actually an IIPA... We were pretty sure it was in the wrong category.

Yob said:
When do place getters need to have their entries for nationals ready?
I'm kinda hoping that you've already got that same beer ready to go in a bottle & don't have to go sucking the dregs out of multiple kegs/barrels & mixing them to fill an entry... :ph34r:

Spiesy said:
Only wish I wasn't so wrecked before getting there!
Aha! I wondered why you were rather "subdued". Yob was still ferociously hungover from his Saturday night indulgences & I had to go & get him a very large, triple-shot coffee with LOTS of sugar to get him back on track..

wonderwoman said:
I was incognito yesterday
Was that you I spotted lifting 20 full crates with one hand??

dannymars said:
my IIPA seems to have secured the lowest score in the entire comp... lol
The Committee discussed a "Wooden-Spoon" award a few years ago as bit of a laugh & to encourage improvement. I might bring it up again in this year's debrief.

droid said:
I did send back (via Mort) some scoresheets from a couple of tables that had sections completely blank. Hopefully those brewers will now have some decent feedback.
Excellent work! That's the kind of thinking-Steward I like to have on my team. Obviously, I didn't see the scoresheets, or I would've done that myself. Good stuff.

dannymars said:
Countback. Here's how we do it:

7. Trophies will be awarded for the 3 highest scoring entries in each Category. In the event of tied scores, placegetters will be decided by progressive countback as follows: a) highest score for Overall Impression; b) highest score for Flavour; c) smallest spread in total scores (smallest difference between highest and lowest scores); d) the judging panel will be requested to resolve the tie.

Thankfully, we didn't have to invoke 7d for anything... :wacko:

GrumpyPaul said:
I reckon given the tightness of the 3 equal thirds there would be a good argument for the Vicbrew committee to get dispensation for 1st, 2nd and the three =3rds to be entered into AABC.

All those in favor of the Vicbrew committee appraoching the AABC commitee say AYE
Not gonna happen mate. The Nationals run on having only 3 entries from each participating State, thus restricting the number of beers judged by each panel. It would be wrong to "weight" the entries towards Victorians.

moonhead said:
Might want to check the scoresheet for that, I recall there being an IIPA that came back with a very, very low score, because it wasn't actually an IIPA... We were pretty sure it was in the wrong category.
I also recall that particular beer. Any chance you got beers mixed up?

idzy said:
Well done to Mort, Martin and the committee. Was very smooth on Saturday and I'm sure it continued the same on Sunday.

Most importantly, well done to those who got a result they were happy with and hopefully some constructive tasting notes to continue improving.
Here, here.

I was really worried after the horror stories from last year, but I have to say I was pretty damn impressed by how well it went. Props to the organisers for thinking ahead and getting everything all lined up for a smooth weekend.

Also cheers to the entrants for the fantastic beers!

GalBrew said:
I also recall that particular beer. Any chance you got beers mixed up?

moonhead said:

dannymars said:
I'd be seeing if some of the other low scoring ones were marked down for being overly hoppy and alcoholic for the style! (Looking at Southern English Brown Ale @ 39, to begin with...) Wonder if there was a label mix up?

Back