Vicbrew 2012

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneEye

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'm very excited to be entering my beers into competition for the first time! I had a look for an existing thread about Vicbrew 2012 but only came across the 2011 and 2010 threads. Hope I'm not doubling up!
I've got a Vanilla Porter ready as well as a AIPA that is about to be bottled. Thinking of sneaking in a wheat of some kind...still a little time to decide. Should I enter the Porter as a brown porter or as a spice beer given the vanilla addition??

Who else will be entering and what will you be entering?

Good luck to all!

:icon_cheers:

Hi Guys!

I'm very excited to be entering my beers into competition for the first time! I had a look for an existing thread about Vicbrew 2012 but only came across the 2011 and 2010 threads. Hope I'm not doubling up!
I've got a Vanilla Porter ready as well as a AIPA that is about to be bottled. Thinking of sneaking in a wheat of some kind...still a little time to decide. Should I enter the Porter as a brown porter or as a spice beer given the vanilla addition??

Good luck to all!

:icon_cheers:

How strong is the vanilla character? If it's really strong, it will do better in specialty, provided the base beer is decent and complemented by the vanilla.

You can always enter in both categories.

I should be entering a few this year (N German alt, dusseldorf alt, oktoberfest, belgian dark strong, Belgian Golden with Brett, sour orange choc porter and maybe an ESB and bo pils) Also probably judging (but none of the categories I'm entering of course).

I think I'll enter an AIPA also, with my first attempt at FWH.
A popular category though. 26 entries last year apparently.
Good luck to all.

Entering pale, octoberfest, porter, golden strong, wit, scotch ale, specialty. Maybe also a smoked,
and apa. Might have another if im organised.

Not sure if im available to judge or not this year.

Enter on compmaster if u can. So much easier.

It's likely that your vanilla porter is best in the 'Specialty' category, however, that is usually one of the largest categories in the competition and very difficult to judge (or consistently score well in, first the beer is assessed against the 'base' style and then again for the 'additions' and the character they provide).

I have a few lagers in the fridge, unfortunatly they're taking a little longer than I had hoped for, but if I'm lucky they'll be ready in time - if not there's always Bayside's Octoberfest.

Andy, was that you on ABC 774 tonight?
It was a good listen except Lindy Burns wouldn't shut up.

Yep, good fun chat, but hard to get a word in at times... Completely failed to plug the conference and club...

Thanks for the advice.. I may just enter it in both categories and see how the scoring differs. I'm looking forward to the night at Belgian Beer Cafe!

Im going to enter, just whatever is on tap at the time i guess.

American Nut Brown
American Pale Ale's
Bohemian Pilsner
Swarzbier
American Brown
Saison's

maybe some more, depending on what i brew next

It's likely that your vanilla porter is best in the 'Specialty' category, however, that is usually one of the largest categories in the competition and very difficult to judge (or consistently score well in, first the beer is assessed against the 'base' style and then again for the 'additions' and the character they provide).

I have a few lagers in the fridge, unfortunatly they're taking a little longer than I had hoped for, but if I'm lucky they'll be ready in time - if not there's always Bayside's Octoberfest.
In the speciality catagory it's also going to be judged by the description you give,if you enter it as a "Vanilla" Porter,then to some degree the vanilla should be identifiable,not necessarily dominant ,but tasteable to some degree if it's whats on the entry sheet description.Failure to have the described additions ,spices,etc ,flavours/aromas present will cause points to be deducted overall .Not that that makes it a bad beer at all,but if it's got a certain description of extras on top of the base style,then they need to be present to score well.Taste it first,and maybe be slightly vague describing the extras if needed.ie: just say 'with spices',instead of nominating certain items in particular.

In the speciality catagory it's also going to be judged by the description you give
But don't write an essay length description or provide too many in-depth details, only a limited amount of information is relayed to the judges like "Vanilla Porter" or "Fruit Weizen with Raspberrys" - providing too much information could result in the critical facts not being relayed.

Has anyone yet printed their compmaster labels yet?

The details on the bottom two rows are all merged together and you cannot read bottle cap id and some other details. There is no CONTACT US on the website either to get hold of Andrew to get it fixed.

Anyone know Andrew to let him know of the problem? (edit: found him, I'll shoot him an email)

Has anyone yet printed their compmaster labels yet?

The details on the bottom two rows are all merged together and you cannot read bottle cap id and some other details. There is no CONTACT US on the website either to get hold of Andrew to get it fixed.

Anyone know Andrew to let him know of the problem?
You could always PM him via this site. He goes by the handle of AndyD.

When I've had issues with Compmaster in the past, they have always been attended to pretty quickly.

You could always PM him via this site. He goes by the handle of AndyD.

When I've had issues with Compmaster in the past, they have always been attended to pretty quickly.

Thanks guys,

As long as the entry number is visible it's all good.

The problem arose because I allowed comp managers to specify what entry form data they wanted on the label, without limiting it, so the text is getting overwritten.

I've started cutting a new version of CompMaster that should be ready for the new competition season. If anyone has any ideas about things that could be improved, drop a ticket on the support board at http://www.compmaster.com.au/support

Thanks for the good feedback!

Andy

I don't suppose I can drop my entries off to Keg King? I see they are listed as a sponsor but not mentioned as a drop off point?

I don't suppose I can drop my entries off to Keg King? I see they are listed as a sponsor but not mentioned as a drop off point?
I'd like to do the same myself, KegKing did accept entry(s) for MB's British Ales comp (when I asked them to), and I even sent an email to VicBrew people last year asking for them to arrange for drop-off at KegKing, but it's not on this years list. :(

Latest posts

Back