VIC: XMAS in July 2013 case swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
First of all, I can't host. My place simply isn't big enough. However we missed out altogether on a XMAS 2012 swap and it would be a travesty if we were to skip two in a row.

Lets get the ball rolling.

For those not familiar with how it all works:

There are two parts to the swap. The first is the swapping of beer whereby a set number of brewers add their name to a list. Adding your name to this list means you agree to brew, ferment and bottle that exact number of beers by a certain date to trade with the other people in the list. You get one different beer back for each person in the swap.

Usually it is capped between 24 and 28 swappers (28 has been a tradition but it can be a squeeze for some brewers to get 28 x 750 mL bottles).

The other part of the swap involves the physical swapping of the beers which is accompanied by a day at the host's venue whereby swappers and other interested parties eat roast meats and other delicacies, drink beer and talk about beer with other brewers. You bring your own, you taste everyone else's, shenanigans sometimes occur in spades. There is usually a big all grain brewday organised with a bunch of no chill cubes of wort being divvied up among those interested who help with the brew. Hop swaps, rhizome swaps, yeast trading and pony rides are other fun activities that may or may not occur.

A tasting thread is usually organised for feedback and open, honest critique is welcome (and expected).

The swap is open to brewers of all kinds - the only rule is that you put your best foot forward. Brew enough and ahead enough of time that you know if there is a major issue (infection, etc) before giving your beer to 20+ others. If you bottle in glass, ensure no bottles will explode, etc, etc. Apart from that, no drink driving, no idiocy or disrespect of attendees or the host and responsibility for individual actions is always appreciated.

This will happen at the host venue at a date during winter (usually a weekend in June).

Add your name to the list if interested by quoting the previous list, adding your name and number and removing the quote tags. Hopefully someone puts their hand up to host. As mentioned, I can't but I'd be happy to help with various logistics. Doesn't have to be CBD/central- we've had swaps in Bendigo before for example.

1. Manticle

1. Manticle
2. Charst (no space to host either sorry)

1. Manticle
2. Charst
3. Fikuss (our house isn't big enough to host unfortunately)

Happy to help out where ever I can though.

Non swap attendees
1. Yob

fikuss said:
1. Manticle
2. Charst

4 Meathead

Happy to help out where ever I can though.
Non swap attendees1. Yob

manticle said:
. Apart from that, no drink driving, no idiocy or disrespect of attendees or the host and responsibility for individual actions is always appreciated.
rules me out hahahahahahahaha

i'll have to think about it, just packing up our house so we can put it on the market.

1. Manticle
2. Charst
4. Meathead

Non swap attendees

1. Yob
2. Lecterfan (bloody good chance of getting there this time!!!)

1. Manticle
2. Charst
4. Meathead
5. WarmBeer

Non swap attendees

1. Yob

1. Manticle
2. Charst
4. Meathead
5. WarmBeer

Non swap attendees

1. Yob
3. Fents

24 swappers is a goodly number in my experience.

Enough left over in a batch for the swapper to still enjoy... but hey, Im not swapping so my opinions arent worth the bottle cap they are hiding under

:)

i'm the same as Fents, in the middle of moving. but i'll keep my eye on the thread and add my name where apropriate later on

1. Manticle
2. Charst
4. Meathead
5. WarmBeer
6. breakbeer

Non swap attendees

1. Yob
3. Fents

1. Manticle
2. Charst
4. Meathead
5. WarmBeer
6. breakbeer
7. Vitalstatistix

Non swap attendees

1. Yob
3. Fents

Hi folks - I am keen to step out of my insular little brewing world and get involved in something like this.

I do have the space to host but also have a wife that doesnt really appreciate drunken debauchery very much.

If (and a big if) i was to convince the missus to let me host this what could I realistically tell her to expect from 20+ guys swapping beer and eating meat?

ie how drunken and debauched could it get - or is it pretty laid back because most people have to drive home anyway?

Personally I would like to host it but she would not appreciate it (and I would never hear the end of it) if it involved excessive drunkeness and loud mouths.

Is it worth me trying to convince her - or is it just not the sort of event to host if the missus might get offside?

BnB

Not sure what your lady is like. My experience is that generally people are respectful but they do drink for long hours, do stay up late and despite the best intentions, may make some mess and noise.

Generally they won't break things in the house deliberately, throw molotov cocktails or molest your cat.
Might be best to get along to one first to ascertain if hosting a future one is for you.

manticle said:
Not sure what your lady is like. My experience is that generally people are respectful but they do drink for long hours, do stay up late and despite the best intentions, may make some mess and noise.
and the wrasslin' Dont forget the wrasslin'

If you have the space to keep them largely away from the house, it's my experience that the good lady can stay ON the sweeter side of poisonous and vengeful... Folks will happily bring along seating and tarps and pergola type things if required... Keeping the rabble out in a shed is always a good idea regardless

Back