• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Vic: Wanting To Trade My Chest For An Upright Freezer Or Bar Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbowers

Reaction score
Hey all,

Have a nice little Chesty, not too sure of the exact dimensions but is roughly a 'cube' kind of shape and will comfortably fit 4 kegs. Obviously willing to take pics/measure if people need more details.

In return I'm after an upright freezer or a bar fridge capable of fitting a fermenter (or 2 jerry cans preferably).

I have a large bar fridge that fits 2 kegs side by side in front of the compressor hump with a 20L Jerry tucked behind them ontop of the hump. You could easily fit 2, maybe 3 in lieu of the kegs. If you choc up the space infront of the hump so that it is level with it, you can fit a 25L fermenter or 23L glass carboy.

I'm in Latrobe Valley, but I don't have a tow bar... if you're interested, post up some pics of your chesty. Cheers

If it's a fridge, really just looking for the smallest possible one that will still hold a fermenter/2 jerrys.

If it's a fridge, really just looking for the smallest possible one that will still hold a fermenter/2 jerrys.

Well it's not a great deal off being the smallest possible if you measure from the compressor hump to the freezer base. My 23L Glass carboy has about 5cm headroom, as does the jerry sitting on the compressor hump. If you could find a bar fridge with no freezer compartment with the compressor hump on the exterior, that would be the "smallest possible", but both features are usually unlikely.

I'm pretty happy with the fridge, to be honest, but I've been thinking about expanding to a 4 tap system. I'm currently using it to cold condition one jerry while dispensing 2 kegs with bronco taps (so no holes in the fridge).

Cheers

Curious as to why you want to change. Too heavy lifting jerry's in and out? Some people use a block and tackle. If it will fit 4 kegs it should fit a fermenter, or 2 jerrys. Freezers generally have better insulation than 'fridges, and chest freezers are best of all (IMO) as they don't "spill" all the clod air every time the door (lid) is opened. Also, you can srash shill in a chesty. Not so easy in a 'fridge.

Don't mind the lift, tend to embrace exercise when I can get it. It's actually to try and get the clearest beer possible without filtering (have a filter, but it's a fair hassle, and I am not convinced im not getting oxidation issues). Cold crashing is negated slightly by having to lift it and rouse the yeast slightly. I can leave it to settle, but I like kegging and then force carbing it straight away just after I purge it, which I can't do if I let the beer settle and warm. You can't bump a bar fridge down to 2 degrees?

Also trying to take my brewing set up to my own place, chesty is at the folks at the moment. It's a bit of a drive so some of my brewing practices have become a little slack as I can't get over there super frequently. Space is an issue, so thinking maybe the bar fridge can sit on top of my keg fridge. Perfect transferring height and takes up 0 space as far as housemates are concerned. Plus: tower of fridge, what's not to love...

Latest posts

Back