Vic Newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled my first brew today, had a little taste and it tastes pretty good for a first attempt. Now to try and wait another couple of weeks.
I used this recipe

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale (pre-hopped extract)
1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 (500g Dextrose, 250g Maltodextrine, 250g LDME)
500g Light Dry Malt Extract
45g Amarillo Hops
30g Cascade Hops
Kit Yeast

Made up another batch but this time I used Citra and Galaxy hops as I didn't have enough Amarillo and cascade left. I hope these two go alright together, looks like I am going to find out. I think this hobby is going to become very addictive.

Do you think the bottles will condition alright in the top of the brew fridge. I have the sensor insulated and taped to the FV and temp set to 19.

19 is perfect but. Temps shouldn't be a worry at this time of year. Bottle and keep in the dark at room temp is OK. What was the technique?

How did you add the hops? Total volume? 500g extra LDM? Guess the target of around 5.2% at 23lt? that could be ~ 5.5% bottle conditioned.

Details are always good so others can compare with thier own kept notes etc. What's the Opening gravity and Final gravity readings?

The can and kilo all on its own is a very good no fail check point reference for testing your technique. That's if you maybe throwing in too many hops for starters. Those hop additions look adventurous. Which can be normal for home brew enthusiasts new and not so new. I am guilty of that after 130 brews.

I made my Coopers newbie brews at 19 to 24 lt. Can plus added sugars between 0.5 to 1.5kg. Brew enhancer 2 is a nice balance but I don't like the maltodextrine as a part of it. So I then bought straight Dextrose and LDM any way I could.

For maltyer beers I just used straight LDM with a can.

For dryer crisper beers and a bit higher Alc/vol use dextrose.

Or a mix of both.

Have fun!

Hi Dan,
This is what I went off

split up the hops evenly into three additions
15g Amarillo 10g cascade (15min, 1min, dry hop)

Bring 5L of water to the boil, turn off the heat and add 500g Light Dry Malt Extract, mix thoroughly.
Return to the boil for 5min, add 15 min addition of hops, boil for a further 14min
Add the 1min addition of hops boil for a further 1min and then turn off the heat.
Pour through a sieve into your fermenter, add coopers pale ale can and BE2, mix thoroughly.
Top up with cold water to 21L
when temp is 18 - 20c add yeast.
When fermentation settles down, usually after 5 days add dry hops
Leave for another 5-7 days until fermentation has finished.
Then bottle.

Og was 1.048
Fg on day 10 was 1.010
Fg on day 12 was 1.010, so then I turned the fridge down to 2c for 4 more days and bottled today.

Cheers.

You will have raised your bitterness levels. That's not a bad thing. I'll go forth and attempt to influence into some brew design software. Around $35. I got Beersmith but there is other choices. These guys did all the hard work of the maths. For home brewers. Gawd bless em.. :beerbang:

Back