Vic July 2012 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Fents - APA

Colour:
Nice golden colour.

Aroma:
Nice spicy hoppy aroma. Is that simco I smell?

Taste:
Nice hoppy taste, not too bitter (something I've been struggling with lately), with a nice hop aftertaste. Again is that simco?

Head/Head Retention:
Not much head, but seemed to keep a little till the end. No real lacing of the glass. Maybe needs a little longer for carbonation due to colder weather.

Overall:
Nice version of an American Pale Ale. Nice work. Would happily have a session on this!

Hangover gone and I couldn't resist!

Merlin032 - E IPA - Im no beer judge!

Hissed at me when i cracked it, thought it might be a bit over carbed but it it poured a nice head and has settled into the glass well. Belgian Tulip.
nice little head remains right though out.
Darker than I expect for an IPA. Red Red colour
Nose is caramel, slightly sweet, maybe bready, some earthy hop character,
Taste more hop character with a caramel toffee, firm bitterness helps to cut through the sweeter mid palette. some alcohol.

As a beer I like it, the bitterness balances the sweet, nice drinkable sherbet but something perhaps to savour more than swill.
The caramel character is a bit high compared too other english IPAs I've had. If I brewed it id drop the grog back a bit to lower 6's
and knock back the caramel a touch.

Cheers thanks for the beer.

1. Trippers - Home smoked, Smoke Beer

Colour:
Golden Red colour.

Aroma:
Getting a little smoky smell.

Taste:
Mmm smoky bacon flavour, but not too overpowering.

Head/Head Retention:
Not really any head. Again, maybe needs longer to carb up.

Overall:
I like it, will have to come over and get a lesson in home smoking malts!!!

9. Wolfman - Robust Choc Porter

Slightly sour, acetaldehyde character when first poured and tasted. Slight fermentation issues or too green. As it warmed it ended up nice but lacking in chocolate character. Not bad.

1. Fents - Pale Ale

My lady opened it and couldn't get over the smell (she's not a beer drinker.....yet). Really sessionable. Clean, well balanced, nice hop character.

6. Fikuss - Robust Porter

Great beer. Nice roasty chocolate aroma, great mouthfeel, clean yeast character, loving it.

Charst Black IPA (Goat Clone)

Very nice beer! not quite as hoppy and floral as i remember the Goat Thornbridge collab but a good beer none the less.

Julie - ????

Extract beer? tastes really sweet sort of like unfermented wort, looks good, smells ok just has a really sweet taste (for me anyways).

BeerDingo - Mandarine Wheat

Decent head that dissipates quickly. The mandarine sticks out once you read the description. But it becomes quite sickly for my taste. Maybe a little more bitterness to balance? Sorry mate.

-Shane R.

#8 ipa?

Big malt big hops big beer! Like!

merlin032 - English IPA

Chalky up front but then settles down into a well rounded beer. Quite drinkable. Cheers Merlin.

12. Charst - MTN Goat Thornbridge Black IPA Clone

Having never tasted the original, this beer has a massive nose. Backed up by good flavour and malt. Top beer charst. If only some competition had a Black IPA comp.

Fents, APA

Think I've gone early on this is a little under carbed,

Smells fking amazing whats the hops?

Touch cloudy golden, good head retention right through.

Sweetish, honey on the palette with a resiny bitterness.

Think if I gave it a week or two to dry out and carb up a touch id have enjoyed it even more.

Still a very nice beer.

cheers.

Fresh tassie cascade flowers in the boil then dry hopped with citra mate

20. MaestroMatt - Weizenbock

Dark malty beer with a hint of banana esters. Perhaps a bit of alcohol warmth. Had this one last night so it's a little hazy.

:icon_cheers:

Fikuss - Robust Porter, in belgian tulip.

Nice dark colour fading head, pretty clear when i shine a light through it.

Soft chocolatey cocoa smell,
Nice soft mouthfeel, just the right weight, nice carb, more choc flavour.

could have a tiny bit more roast for me but a really nice beer, really smooth Cheers

8. Warmbeer IPA

Lovely Frothy head lacing the glass.
cloudy orange colour.
Smells of mandarins to me same hop smell in Thornbridge Jaipur IPA. Whats the hop?
low carb subtle sweetness moving into a really nice firm bitterness, right balance for an IPA. mouth feel right for an IPA
best beer so far.
******* good beer mate.

Can you please post a recipe in the Swap recipe thread.

cheers

ha, a flood on Warmbeer..

wat he said above.. I felt medium carbed but there ya go, poured with a big head but settles and laces nicely.

A good way to start on the swaps :icon_chickcheers:

Nice one!

8.JPG

8.1.JPG

8. Warmbeer IPA

Lovely Frothy head lacing the glass.
cloudy orange colour.
Smells of mandarins to me same hop smell in Thornbridge Jaipur IPA. Whats the hop?
low carb subtle sweetness moving into a really nice firm bitterness, right balance for an IPA. mouth feel right for an IPA
best beer so far.
******* good beer mate.

Can you please post a recipe in the Swap recipe thread.

cheers
Ask, and ye shall receive...

Charst. 12 - MTN Goat Thornbridge Black IPA Clone

I havnt had the MG Beer that this is styled after but mate.. You have a fantastic beer here

Carb is just right for me, pours with a nice tight creamy head and isnt over the top with any of the many flavours fighting for recognition in there..

I dont drink many dark ales, but thats probably because not many of them are this good..

:icon_cheers:

ed: Photo added

12.1.JPG

Back