Vic July 2012 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charst. 12 - MTN Goat Thornbridge Black IPA Clone

Charst. 12 - MTN Goat Thornbridge Black IPA Clone

I havnt had the MG Beer that this is styled after but mate.. You have a fantastic beer here

Carb is just right for me, pours with a nice tight creamy head and isnt over the top with any of the many flavours fighting for recognition in there..

I dont drink many dark ales, but thats probably because not many of them are this good..

:icon_cheers:

ed: Photo added

View attachment 56286
^^^ what he said.

I _have_ had the MT/Thornbridge collab beer, and I kinda thought it was out of balance, a little too hop focused, but not in the good way.

Yours, IMHO, is a better beer. Really good malt/ hop levels in the taste, with just a touch of roastiness coming through, which I think adds complexity to a beer like this.

I do drink many dark ales, as well as IPA's, and this sits nicely in between the two camps.

Well done.

#20 - MaestroMatt - Weizenbock

All pear ester on the nose, very little caramel/toffee/malt in the smell. Low carb, a little drier than most WB's I've had which have that toffee/thick malt character. It's a bit like a ramped up Dunkelweizen. Smooth, easy drinker though! Clean, well made beer. Nice.

11 Midnightbrew - dark ale. - belgian tulip

Dark as you like with a nice frothy head thats slow to dissipate, leaves a bit of a lace.

Smells of subtle cocoa caramel, low hop aroma.
nice rich body on the beer, nice mouth feel,
more soft cocoa to taste lacking a little bitterness or roast to finish off,

thought I got a slight plastic note initially but can't find it now.

nice tasty beer.

cheers

12. Charst - Black IPA Goat/Thornbridge

Lets start with wow!

First thing that stikes me is how amazing the aroma is. Not too in your face but very approachable.

This beer is ridicolousy well balanced between flavours, the aroma completly fools you into thinking pale ale and the colour would say its a stout but for me everything is spot on in balance.

This is a fantastic beer mate and I've added it to my dangerously sessionable list.

Cheers

3. Luke C - Belg Stout

Color:
Black... Can't see much through this one.

Aroma:
A bit of alcohol. A bit of chocolate toastyness.

Taste:
A mix between chocolate-coffee-toasty malt.

Head:
Not much head (prob to style?), keeping it through to the end. Plenty of carb.

Overall:
Enjoyed it, only critisizm is maybe a little too sweet. However, if I didn't drink it so cold, the other flavours would've probably balanced it out. Prob should read what the beer is before I crack it.

3. Luke C Belgian Stout.

Black as the ace of spades, medium carb, head dissipating to cling around the edges,
smell of coffee roast, touch of sweetness
Taste is coffee roasty and sweetish, slightly sickly sweet, sounds bad but i actually really like it as i don't find the finish is so sweet i don't want another mouthful, has a molasses liquorice flavour to me. can't find a lot of the belgian fruit flavours you'd think of maybe in the taste.

Im knocking this back in record time I really like it.

Cheers.

recipe please.

ash

11. Midnight Brew - Dark Ale

Colour:
Dark, reddy brown.

Aroma:
A bit of chocolate roatyness. Smells like a porter.

Taste:
Dark beer bitterness, a little bit of spice, a little watery. Was thinking a sweet aftertaste, but have changed it to (not sweet, but dark malt aftertaste, as it's not really sweet in the sugar sense).

Head/Head Retention:
Not really any head. Maybe needs a little longer for carbonation due to colder weather.

Mouthfeel:
Slick buttery, which dissapates quickly.

Overall:
At first I was thinking a porter before I read it. Doesn't really have enough oomph in flavour department (needs a bit more spice I think (but don't really know how a dark ale should be)). Due to mouthfeel, I am thinking it has some diacetal (which I don't have a problem with, just the buttery feeling that I notice), however, I could be wrong.

BeerDingo - Mandarine Wheat

Decent head that dissipates quickly. The mandarine sticks out once you read the description. But it becomes quite sickly for my taste. Maybe a little more bitterness to balance? Sorry mate.

-Shane R.

No worries, I appreciate all feedback, good and bad. This beer really needs lots of carb to get it's full potential, not saying it's what I was hoping for, but out of the keg I loved it when highly carbed. I agree that it can be mandarine heavy (and a bit sweet) when not enough carb. The housemate only liked it when it had that typical german head (ie, massive). I hate bottles!

I was going for a hoegarden style beer, as it has mandarine, coriander seed, and using wyeast forbidden fruit. It came down to 1011 FG, so unless my hydrometer is out, any sweetness is from mandarine (which I went relativly easy on) and usual wheat sweetness.

Anyway enough drunk ranting. Just waiting for Fents to try it as he hates wheat's...

After reading it looks like I'm trying to change your mind, but no, just wanting to say that I appreciate all feedback!!! :icon_drunk: :beer:

merlin032 - English IPA

Colour:
First glass had a nice red color, second I poured a bit of sediment, which Im looking at now.

Aroma:
A little bit of sweet malt mixed with hops, a tiny bit of alcohol,

Taste:
Quite smooth, not overly bitter. A subtle english hop flavour. Since it's almost 7%, well balanced.

Head/Head Retention:
Had the first glass in a headmaster glass, and kept head till the end, with nice lacing.

Overall:
Spose I haven't had many EIPA's, was thinking it could be a little hoppier, but it may well be to style. Before I read it, was thinking of a red ale. COuld have a couple.

:icon_offtopic: Watching the olympics - never thought I'd enjoy rythmic gymnastics so much :icon_chickcheers:

5. Shane R - Aussie Ale. Belgian tulip

Beautiful golden amber colour, cloudy, holding a lacy head on the glass.
Subtle honey with sweet light caramel smell, bread
well balanced taste with a nice mouthfeel and subtle bitterness,

good sessionable beer, something i could give to the boys and say try this its got flavour without offending them

cheers

20. MaestroMatt - Weizenbock

Colour:
Dark ruby amber.

Aroma:
Sweet wheat. Tiny bit of alcohol.

Taste:
Licorice, alcohol, wheat.

Head/Head Retention:
Not much head to speak of, but has carb. Seems that most of the beers for this swap might be like this (my'n too).

Overall:
Very first taste, could only taste licorice, and wasn't sure I'd be able to drink it. However, once I got into it, I'm enjoying it. Get a lot of alcohol, how strong is this? Haven't really tried any Weizenbock that I can think of so not sure how close to slyle it is.

14. Adamski29 - Traditional Bock

Can't say I've ever tried a Bock before. Colour seems bang on for style, could be a little clearer. Missing that great German head.

Definitely a big malty beer though. The more I sip the more I like it. Cheers.

14. Adamski29 - Traditional Bock

Can't say I've ever tried a Bock before. Colour seems bang on for style, could be a little clearer. Missing that great German head.

Definitely a big malty beer though. The more I sip the more I like it. Cheers.

Thanks man, how's the carb in it? I'm drinking one right now and it is brilliantly clear. I haven't lagered it though so I think the alcohol in it is a bit more present than I'd like. I have another cube of it that I am going to focus a bit more attention on. This one was fermented with Hella Bock yeast. I have 30g of S-189 for the other cube.

Thanks man, how's the carb in it? I'm drinking one right now and it is brilliantly clear. I haven't lagered it though so I think the alcohol in it is a bit more present than I'd like. I have another cube of it that I am going to focus a bit more attention on. This one was fermented with Hella Bock yeast. I have 30g of S-189 for the other cube.
The carb is low but there, and I don't think it's far from style. Not sure how you're meant to have low carb, medium-full body and big head all in the one beer...

Yeah if your carb was low I'd say it needs longer. The one I cracked tonight was well carbed (I'd kept my remaining bottles near a heater). I'd post pics but I'm only on my phone. I'm keen to get the other cube fermented and fully lagered.

Edit: Oh and it should be close to style because it's basically Jamil's traditional bock recipe out of Brewing Classic Styles. I think there's a mild fermentation flaw from underpitching that's led to a little more alcohol presence than I was hoping for. It knocked out at 7ish%. U

Charsts Black IPA
Was really looking forward to this beer after reading the feedback and can definitely say I was not disappointed. I really loved this beer, the balance between the malt and the hops was perfect and the flavour sensational. Great Job :beerbang: Biggest issue was that my glass must of had a whole in to or something as it disappeared too quickly, I could of easily had a few of these.

Fents APA
Very nice APA I loved your use of citra.

Wolmans Choc Porter
Very nice, I didn't notice any of the acetaldehyde at all and found it to be a very clean tasting beer with a nice subtle chocolate roastiness.

Latest posts

Back