Vic Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
The Vic brew comp results have been announced here. Are there any forum members in the results? A few names seem familiar....

- Snow

I see ANT in there at least 6 times , well done !

Yeah congratulations to all who entered and especially the placegetters.
I entered for the feedback. Havent received the tasting notes yet but am very interested to see what they are like.
I didn't place nor was I expecting to. But its another story next year :D :D
cheers

I entered an Irish Ale more for the feedback than anything, and it managed a 4th which I'm pretty happy about. Onward & upward.

Mr Sosman is in there also

there should be more AHB Vic meet's (or atleast a first) The SA boys put us to shame

[Add]
If there are any Vic brewers on the east / south east, north east

That are interested in brew days, beer meets, taste testing, brewery tours etc etc and just a good beer club, (kits throught to automated AG setups)

The Melbourne brewers are on this side of town all are welcome to come down and taste beers, get feedback see some fantastic setups etc

Myself and a few others on the internet fourms are members so come on down

PM for further info,

[/ Add]
:chug:

ohhh and congrats Ken 4th is very well done!

Mr Sosman is in there also

Ah yes. well down the table alas. Nevermind, Beerfest is coming soon and I don't have to worry about the nats :) On a positive note, two beers in the high nineties is an improvement on my last two entries. Haven't got the judges notes yet but looking forward to some feedback.

For those in Victoria there are two comps in the new year:

BeerFest (Feb at the famous Grandridge Brewery) and Oktoberfest which is in March.

Snow said:
The Vic brew comp results have been announced here. Are there any forum members in the results? A few names seem familiar....

- Snow
New to the forum, but scored a third place for my Dark Mild

Sean
Any chance of your mild recipe or some hints? I had one go using the MAH recipe but it was my second all grain and consequently I think I stuffed the mash temp, it came down to 1.007, ended up very dry which let the minerally flavour of the 1028 yeast come through too strongly. I see you used 1275 which is my favourite ale yeast, what grain bill and mash schedule did you go for?

Cheers
Simon

Guest Lurker said:
Sean
Any chance of your mild recipe or some hints? I had one go using the MAH recipe but it was my second all grain and consequently I think I stuffed the mash temp, it came down to 1.007, ended up very dry which let the minerally flavour of the 1028 yeast come through too strongly. I see you used 1275 which is my favourite ale yeast, what grain bill and mash schedule did you go for?

Cheers
Simon
3300g Pale Ale Malt (Fawcett's Maris Otter)
250g Chocolate Malt (Fawcett's)
250g Crystal Malt (Joe Whites)

Mashed at 65 degrees C for 90 mins

Boiled for 90 mins - added:
25g Goldings pellets (4.5 Alpha) start of boil
225g Golden Syrup (Tate & Lyle) start of boil
1/2 tablet Irish Moss - last 5 mins
2 plugs (28g) Goldings hop plugs end of boil

Adjusted volume with (boiled) water to 1032

The yeast was taken from a previous brew, which was pitched with Wyeast Thames Valley, which still hadn't got going at all after 17 hours, so I re-oxygenated it and chucked in a safale S-04, so I don't really know which of the two fermented it, and hence I don't really know what yeast strain went into this one. Fermented at around 18 C.

Back