Vic Brew Guidelines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam89brewer

Reaction score
I am looking at entering a vicbrew comp just for the sake of it and have brewed the ale that I am looking at entering, but the FG seems to be a little over the guidelines... Will they test the SG and will it possibly disqualify my entry? ( seeing that I will be travelling 3 hours to enter)

Never entered a comp. But they are just guidelines you can brew slightly outside of them they shouldnt disqualify you. I have seen people say the judges just said that it should of be entered into another category but they still judge them, If its brewed to style then and doesnt taste out of the ordinary then you should be fine.

In a word - no.

I'm not 100% sure of the need for them to ascertain the OG and FG of the brew but my guess is that it helps re-categorise beers that have been put in the wrong category and just give an indication of where things fit.

Those guidelines are exactly that - guidelines rather than strict rules and it is stressed to judges (at least it was the one and only time I have judged) that they are guidelines to judging categories, not absolutes. Judges need also to apply discretion.

Anyway as far as I know they don't test (it's an amateur comp staffed predominantly by volunteers) and you won't get disqualified for being a couple of points over. It's not welterweight vs flyweight.

In a word - no.

I'm not 100% sure of the need for them to ascertain the OG and FG of the brew but my guess is that it helps re-categorise beers that have been put in the wrong category and just give an indication of where things fit.

Those guidelines are exactly that - guidelines rather than strict rules and it is stressed to judges (at least it was the one and only time I have judged) that they are guidelines to judging categories, not absolutes. Judges need also to apply discretion.

Anyway as far as I know they don't test (it's an amateur comp staffed predominantly by volunteers) and you won't get disqualified for being a couple of points over. It's not welterweight vs flyweight.

Fair enough It was just on about 1.025 when guideline said 1.024 . I don't believe in competing that much but thought it would be good to go to one just to meet new brewers and see what others thought of my brew :D otherwise I am always satisfied with what I produce which I suppose is most important...

Not a worry mate. 1 point over guidelines?

Best thing about comps really (besides if you are lucky enough to place in one) is that good beers will always stand out, as will bad beers. Coming middle of the road may be disappointing in some respects and the feedback may not always be great or make sense (you try sampling 25 belgian 7-10+% strong ales, one after the other and supplying thoughtful, accurate feeedback at 3.30 pm) but it will show you that you are making decent beer. Winning or placing probably means you are making or at least are capable of making fantastic beer and coming low means you may have some issues to attend to.

Not the be all and end all - brew for yourself and your friends/family if warranted but a bit of fun from time to time.

My advice though, contrary to many, is put in what you are proud of or what you feel represents you. Don't enter what you know is shit beer unless you are genuinely confused as to what makes it shit and hope a more expert palate will make sense of it. People say 'enter just for the feedback' but the feedback isn't always great or accurate or even sensible. Can be useful, can be rubbish.

Some of the feedback I got from the recent National comp was terrible with a few sheets not even showing the judge's names (some were detailed and fantastic too so it all balances out)

Not a worry mate. 1 point over guidelines?

Best thing about comps really (besides if you are lucky enough to place in one) is that good beers will always stand out, as will bad beers. Coming middle of the road may be disappointing in some respects and the feedback may not always be great or make sense (you try sampling 25 belgian 7-10+% strong ales, one after the other and supplying thoughtful, accurate feeedback at 3.30 pm) but it will show you that you are making decent beer. Winning or placing probably means you are making or at least are capable of making fantastic beer and coming low means you may have some issues to attend to.

Not the be all and end all - brew for yourself and your friends/family if warranted but a bit of fun from time to time.

My advice though, contrary to many, is put in what you are proud of or what you feel represents you. Don't enter what you know is shit beer unless you are genuinely confused as to what makes it shit and hope a more expert palate will make sense of it. People say 'enter just for the feedback' but the feedback isn't always great or accurate or even sensible. Can be useful, can be rubbish.

Some of the feedback I got from the recent National comp was terrible with a few sheets not even showing the judge's names (some were detailed and fantastic too so it all balances out)

Cheers :beerbang: and it is a Belgian strong dark that I was going to be entering into the Belgian beerfest at Coldstream brewery. It will be a little fresh for a high strength beer at 3 months old but it has a nice spice overtone and is very drinkable already... :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back