[vic] another impulse buy an unreg car, need a pragmatic mech for rwc.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Another impulse buy :), did the same about 5 years ago (last time 1988 patrol, big lift and tryes and full of rust) I bought an unreg transit (1999 model with commodore v6 in it) and now need to do some fixes and will need to get a RWC. so does any one know a pragmatic type of mechanic preferably within 50 k's of mulgrave 3170 :)

thanks

Do you mean a pragmatic mechanic, or a "pragmatic" mechanic? ;)

But, ABC motors in Abbotsford is a pragmatic mechanic, no quotes. However I'm not sure if they're still around as I haven't been there in a few years. One of the best, most realistic mechanics I've met. Always gave me 3 options of how to finish a job - the good enough to get by way, the decent way, and the well and proper way. Look them up.

Here in NSW you are required to take the vehicle to your nearest inspection station, from a supplied list. This prevents you taking it to uncle Alf at Wagga who'll do your RWC no problems nudge wink.

If your dealing with a Transit (probably with high km's?) with a non factory engine, a pragmatic mechanic is probably the last thing you want. You need a shonky one. They've tightened up on RWC issuing in Vic over the last few years and finding a lenient workshop is getting harder. I reckon a big factor will be if the engine replacement requires an engineers certificate. Transits give me nightmares at the best of times, but one with a 3.8l in it? I'm too scared to sleep!

Expound further please! I have a long (ok, only since a year or two) held dream of turning a transit into the perfect campervan and travelling the red dusts.

Camo6 said:
finding a lenient workshop is getting harder.
thats what I really need :)

it was reg with v6 till 11/2013 the guy I bought it from handed the plates in.

practicalfool said:
Expound further please! I have a long (ok, only since a year or two) held dream of turning a transit into the perfect campervan and travelling the red dusts.
When they're going good they're good but when they're not they're frikkin expensive to repair. Once they get some km's on the clock the (diesel) timing chains are prone to jumping teeth in turn pushing the pistons against valves and damaging rocker trains and heads. Injectors tend to flog out after 150K and cost around $1k each. Injector pumps, fuel control valves, EGR's are also prone to failure. Clutches and dual mass flywheels are pricey and don't even touch the auto shifting manuals.
Don't get me wrong, these vans are popular and probably have similar issues to other makes of large commercial vans carrying heavy loads. Driven responsibly and serviced regularly I'm sure they'd be somewhat reliable. And I guess because I fix them I only see the ones that go kerblammy not the ones giving faithless service.
I did a fair bit of work on Mercedes Sprinter ambulances and from my experience I didn't see half the problems Transits had. Mind you they all had a lot lower km's but they certainly weren't driven conservatively. I'm sure they have their own array of issues at higher km's but it's the nature of the beast IMO.

@MXD. Have a look at the Vicroads website for an idea of what you need to do. If its been registered previously it might make it easier, not really sure. I guess it depends on any structural changes to the mountings and the integrity of the pollution control system.

Cool, will keep in mind. Probably a while before I can afford it anyway.

Had a look around the workshop today and we have one transit jump a chain - new head and valves, chain, tensioner needed. Another with water in the fuel and no fuel pressure - injection pump overhaul, fuel metering valve, possibly four injectors, flush tank etc. And one more waiting outside for me with a cooling system full of engine oil from a failed cooler - new short motor, replace all hoses, labour, labour, labour. The cheapest of these repairs will probably be around the $3000 mark, minimum.

My advice - downsize to a smaller campervan and get a Hiace. Or buy a camping trailer and a Hilux/Cruiser/Pootrol.

Camping trailer.... I'm not that old 8)

We toured the South Island in a hiace/loace conversion. Pretty ok but won't do that for months of travelling, a bit too small.

Another plan that came to mind was when I took the roof off the jeep yesterday and strapped a double bed mattress to the roll cage to transport, how easy would it be to make a bed/slat frame and bolt it to the roll cage, strap a mattress to the frame and cover it with a custom cut/sewn/sealed weather cover incorporating a header to form a wind deflector at the front end. Install the bikini style cargo cover for the back. Except for security, it'd be so easy to travel and sleep under the stars.

Oh. You own a Jeep? Get a Transit, you'll never look back! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Before kids and cargo barriers I could just drop the tailgate and roll the swag out in the back of the 80 series. That way the missus wouldn't worry about spiders and she'd only have one snake to deal with.

Would like to see pics if you go down the Jeep route.

Latest posts

Back