Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't even think to save some of the seeds! I ate them all [emoji23]

Picked up two chilies to hopefully grow up and add to the Aldi plant. Which two have I grabbed?

Also Im guessing its okay to just dry out on a plate and paper towel and wait for the chilli to go papery before I cut open and remove seeds?

IMG_4531.JPG

Rocoto Red is that Chilli with black seeds. They are one that wont cross pollinate with anything else too so the seeds are guaranteed purebred etc. The other chillies can cross pollinate so its possible the seeds may be a crossbreed/hybrid. Kinda makes it interesting.

As for the chilli sauces hopefully Idzy's parents like chilli. A token of thanks ha.
If anyone wants some of the hottest chilli sauce known to man, aka Danscraft homegrown, let me know, there is a 'lil' bit spare...

Midnight, left looks to be a naga jolokia and the right a trinidad scorpion hybrid of some sort.
Idzy, I'm up for that sauce jar if you don't want it. PM me and I'll cover postage.
Mofox yes the controller was buggered the next morning. Haven't tested it but I'm guessing it's liquid ingress into the screen. Next swap if we recirc we should either drill a hole in the lid or I'll make up a nice little stainless bracket to stop public servants accidentally letting it drop out when opening the lid for a whiff. Mastersbre... Malt Junkie should have his fancy-arse controller ready by then.

Picked up two chilies to hopefully grow up and add to the Aldi plant. Which two have I grabbed?

Also Im guessing its okay to just dry out on a plate and paper towel and wait for the chilli to go papery before I cut open and remove seeds?

View attachment 106942
The left definitely looks like Dorset Naga. They get that deeper red color.
The right must be my K-Mung (Karingal Mongrel crossbred from Bhut Jolokia)
May be best to slice them, open them up or they can take forever to dry out if you dont. You can use the shell and keep the core with seeds attached is best for their health and viability apparently but even just to dry the seeds out loose works too.

Is there a recipe somewhere for the Sat brew? I paid no attention to what we were brewing and need to work out what yeast to add. I have a US05 cake would that suit? Otherwise I grabbed a bunch of yeast from cam and martin(thanks guys!) that I could look at pitching, what are others using?

stuff in mash = stout.:D

I'll be using WLP-022 (Essex) into a series of ales, culminating in using the yeast cake for the swap beer/stout.
I originally got a 022 slant off Cam, so hopefully you grabbed a 022 off him on the night.
US-05 could def work, but it'll be a little "simple" on the malts, maybe. If you were making a US Stout (e.g.: so Argon/dry hopping the hell out of it with New World hops) the US-05 would well fine.

+1 on the disclosure of the Friday & Saturday night brews!

Good question on the yeast selection. I'll be taking notes.
I cant help but think every different yeast used well will make a different good beer variation other than the color.
I have 40l Dortmunder cubed that needs processing before fermenting this swap brew. :eek:
Grain brewing freedom! for me for some time. :cool:

What about this brew as a Lager? (scooped w-34/70 yeast cake)? Or maybe onto the entire yeast cake at higher temp ~15c. That's the comfort zone ambient wise at the moment.

Last edited:
Did we talk further about MJ's idea to bring back a bottle or two for the next swap? 150mls per person x 24 = damn that's 3 ltrs ... maybe not

I have a cube of this recipe (+10% oats) waiting for yeast right now and have the choice between US-05 slurry and w-34/70 slurry. Crash chilling an APA and a pilsner at the moment.
Decisions decisions.

Fridays brew had all the spec listed previously by Martin, plus a kilo of light crystal and and 2.5 of dark crystal. Then we had 1/4 shot ton of munich1 and the balance pale malt. (predominently JW Trad Ale)
Hops
60min 900g something english (25ish ibu)
Flame out 250g cascade flowers, 200g cascade pelletes, 100g simcoe, 100g gallaxy, 100g hallauter.

For anything more info, I defer to my brew assistants, of which there were many (thanks Lads!)and each were suffering varying states of sobriety/intoxication.

Throw some Us05 or similar at it, it'll be beer. It came out a copper-brown, so any one comping (we know you do) could aim it at American brown.

cheers
MJ

Latest posts

Back