Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all that made the weekend possible, I had a great time and glad we were able to give the BFK a run. So much food and so many tasty beers!
Didn't get many pics yesterday.

20170708_142449.jpg
20170708_174059.jpg
20170708_174105(0).jpg
20170708_210311.jpg
20170708_150229.jpg

Fantastic couple of days!

Massive thanks to all those responsible for pulling it together, namely:
Idzy (& family) for hosting at relatively short notice,
husky for providing the BFK,
husky for providing the BFK stand (needed a seperate mention :cool:),
Mick for stepping up to be head brewer,
plus the assistants (Mick, Martin, Wayne) for additional equipment and lending great aid to the Brewer (/guiding/instructing the head brewer ;)),
those guys again for doing the Mongrel BFK Test Batch (just a casual 1.076 or something, wasn't it?! Awesome bonus effort),
Nath et al for getting the food shenanigans sorted (another fantastic adjunct to the beers & brewing to sustain us all through a gruelling weekend),
and finally basically just everyone for providing yet another brilliant array of beers.

A special little mention to Jesse for gracing us with his presence for a brief spurt on friday in amongst his other minor commitments, compensating for his lame time prioritisation by offering those 2 RIS's. 2 really excellent beers! Hope to see you at FD soon :D

Cheers, and looking forward to the next one!

Oh, and could the Head Brewers of the 2 batches post the "final" recipe of each, or whatever details are remembered.
Would be greatly appreciated!

And a huge thanks to Martin & Cam for very generously supplying heaps of yeasts, especially Cam for all those freebie freezies! 1469 or 022 for the next series?!? FWP!
And generally to martin for organizing a LOT of (cheap!) ingredients.
... And to AJ for that Goldings rhizome. NRG (North Rezza Goldings) is gonna be the next big thing.
After moar oats, of course!

^well said gents

I had a great time too and thanks to everyone involved great and small, sorry to those that couldn't make it.

Idzy and Family for Hosting
Mike and Mick for donning the Brewers guernsey, looking forward to drinking that Heady Topperish clone after a sample Mick!
DJ for food organising, prepping and cooking ... but also pretty much helping out wherever he saw help was needed - the sort of man we need in the trenches, if, er - we were in trenches..def a man to have around on a brew day, case swap to get shit done
Micbrew for mad chicken wings and brekky
JB for brekky and coffee, never will I forget the coffee mate
The Pizza Delivery joint for giving us half priced Pizza! pity I gorged on the first batch and couldn't fit in much of the gormet stuff - that's kharma for ya
Laxation, Martin, Wiggy, Danscraft - pulled pork, soup, chilli roo stew and some very tasty chilli Jerky
Martin for ingredients and everyone who contributed to the dogs brekky
Cam for the yeast and hummus
Everyone for the beers - got some inspiration for sure, AJ80 just needs a Merlin type hat to complete the look of the Wizard dashing about through the crowd ensuring people got some potions, awesome shit man!
Mike for Providing me with a bed and a tent and a ciggy and Martin for a rollie
Russ for providing me with a cube - thanks mate
Jesse for offering accommodation to help a traveller..and turning up with some sort after beers, which promptly put me to sleep..
Whiteferret - he's kind of like a persons rock in life but in the brewing, case swap sense for me cheers mate

Thanks to all the cubers and cleaners

Special mention to the Spider in the pool

Thumbs down to the Sulphur Crested Cockies or whatever they were carrying on Sunday morning

Last edited:
is the aim to crack the 1000L at the next?
according to Husky's numbers we were damn close, though the trub/ hop cones on both brews were very impressive, if we were under the 1000 mark, it would only be by 10 or 20L.

Now we have the BFK will 750L batches be the mark?

Maybe you guys are used to it, but being my first time I cannot believe how smooth that all went! Amazing effort by everyone, from the brewers, to the guys on food, to all those that brought beers and to idzy and family for having us all. Bloody amazing that all that can go off without a hitch! Thanks very much for all your work, what a great fkn day!

I'm still feeling a bit shit though... Pretty sure someone spiked my drink. Not sure if it was the 13th or 29th drink but one of them was definitely spiked... :rolleyes:

I don't know what else to say that everyone else hasn't said.

To Idzy and family, you open your house and we all descend. It's all very kind.
To Mofox, you took charge like a champ and didn't even look stressed.
To Husky, BFK is a thing of absolute beauty!
To DJ, **** man, soooo much food. You excelled, we almost might need to tone it down a little for next time. It stuns me every single time how we eat like Kings! Like Kings I tell you!
To Cam, Thanks for the yeasties, I feel I'm going to get in more trouble from SHMBO. Best I go out doing something I love though!
To everyone else that donated something. These case swaps turn out to be epic epic events.
To my spit. Thanks for staying home for a change you prick! :)
To everyone else, The laughs, the chats and general banter is always fun!

Bring on the next one!

To Mofox, you took charge like a champ and didn't even look stressed.

Only looked like that cos of Wayne's awesomeness... Big ups to him... I wore the vest, but Wayne was there at every step making sure I didn't screw up (much, lol).
Also mike, getting in there even though he'd done it all the night before.

Cheers all, need a few more Z's... Possibly should have left the RIS alone last night.

Edit: note that there are strikethroughs in the post below that allude to humour on a desktop but make me look more arrogant than I actually am mobile.
laxation you were well and truly ready for bed, you were standing there at one stage with your glass at about 40° spilling a bit more out of it every time you spoke and you had no idea. Spiked with homebrew and nothing else.
I'd like to echo the above thoughts, was a very enjoyable weekend in excellent company. Great to get away from the daily grind and hang around with some like-minded folk talking all types of crap and home brew with scarcely a care for the outside world. Good times had by all I'm sure, save for
Highlights -
Beer of show: Wiggman's Westy 12 Tough. I've split into categories:
  • Shock factor: That 9% Saison
  • Intrigue factor: Banana wine, wtf?
  • 'Back for more': DJ's Mosaic pale
  • Balls-and-all punch: Idzy's barrel RIS, wow was that intense
Food: Chilli roo stew Pulled pork was underrated, hit the spot. Ed: Danny's chilli sauce, brilliant. Seriously I want to buy some and am pissed I didn't steal a jar when I had the chance.
Best and Fairest: tied between Mofox and DJ
Lack of any real hiccups
Rain held off for the most part, made for a pleasant shower when it didn't
Usual sours and variety, cubed grain had me thinking for about 20 mins before I understood that grains were added to the cube. I think, I still don't understand.

Lowlights -
Stuffed brew controller
Cockies on the Sunday morning, what obnoxious fucks. Why? What is the purpose of setting up on a busted-arse tree and going SQUARK at 150 dB at 8 AM in the morning? Wanted to shoot the shit out of them, seriously **** those ******* birds.
Mofox's 60 min addition of 300g of EKG... at whirlpool
Following DJ into the loo Sunday morning (recommendation for caterers for next swap - air freshener).
Not enough oats in beers (except for techno's)

Looking forward to the next swap. After the cold shoulder I've been getting I might have to pass on summer to save my marriage but will definitely make every effort for next winter. Another special mention to Idzy/parents for putting the place up and inevitable cleaning afterwards, many thanks.

Last edited:
laxation you were well and truly ready for bed, you were standing there at one stage with your glass at about 40° spilling a bit more out of it every time you spoke and you had no idea. Spiked with homebrew and nothing else.
well if one of you blokes would make a shit beer i'd be able to have some self control...

but really I can't believe how good all the beers were - just fantastic stuff.

Good food, good beers, good night and good to meet and drink and chat with you all. Were else can you get to try so many craft brews self serve ha. Especially good to try many exotic types as well. And then I've still got 16 more to try as well!
Awesome work fellas. :overhead:

Side note. Somewhere somehow I misplaced a 5lt white pail bucket full of canned chilli sauces that were to give away to anyone who wanted them. Then I couldn't find them duh! Silly me. There good for a year anyhow if they somehow get rescued. :rolleyes:

Hey Dan that bucket was in the 'food area' landing to the right of the BBQ on the floor last I saw it.

Ps. That big fat Roma tomato sized chilli you gave me (forgot the name) are AWESOME! Put both in a curry tonight to replace 2x long reds and heaps more heat, heaps more flavour!!! Thanks mate you've inspired me to grow my own, off to the chilli thread I go.

Hi guys,

Sorry I couldn't be there for the long run.

Just a heads up my swap beer (no 15)which is a fortified stout will be ready to drink in sept.

Approx abv 6.5%

Hope you enjoy

Big thanks to Micbrew for the sodium perc. I didn't get to thank you as I could only drop in Sunday morning but next swap I'll buy you a drink ;-).
Was good to catch up with a few old faces, however briefly, as well as meet a few new ones.

Cheers
Cam

^^ +1.
Scheisse! Sorry Mick, huge thanks to you as well for organising the Sod Perc (the good stuff!) and the sod met. Really great of you to whip it up quickly and coincide it with the Case Swap. I owe you a beer or 2!!

Hey Dan that bucket was in the 'food area' landing to the right of the BBQ on the floor last I saw it.

Ps. That big fat Roma tomato sized chilli you gave me (forgot the name) are AWESOME! Put both in a curry tonight to replace 2x long reds and heaps more heat, heaps more flavour!!! Thanks mate you've inspired me to grow my own, off to the chilli thread I go.
Rocoto Red is that Chilli with black seeds. They are one that wont cross pollinate with anything else too so the seeds are guaranteed purebred etc. The other chillies can cross pollinate so its possible the seeds may be a crossbreed/hybrid. Kinda makes it interesting.

As for the chilli sauces hopefully Idzy's parents like chilli. A token of thanks ha.

Latest posts

Back