Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ_L3ThAL

Such rapp, very bass
Reaction score
Get drinking fellas...

7th July - 9th July Location: Idzy's Brewery - Ferntree Gully

Drink Now:
4. AJ80 - grapefruit pale ale (should be ready)
7. mofox1 - Monster Pale (drink now)
8.GrumpyPaul - Grapefruit Sour. (drink now) [Note there are 15 sours labelled 8 and 5 of the American Rye in this case labelled 8a)
9. mofox1 - Heady Topperish (drink now!)
13. TheWiggman - Haters' Wheat© (drink now)
14. GrumpyPaul – American Rye (drink now)

Drink Later:
3. DJ_L3THAL - English Brown - ready from September.

TBC what it is and when to taste:
1. Idzy
2. Husky
5. droid - Nefarious Villain; A three way blend of two RIS's and a Sour Cherry Stout
6. Midnight brew - Son of Zeus IPA blended with Harvest IPA
10. Shortybronx
11. Whiteferret
12. Laxation - Stout, American style. Not quite ready
15. Tahoose
16. Danscraftbeer (if I can rustle up 24 bottles of beer, I didn't plan etc :oops:) I should be able to although they are just my standard house ale stuff, a couple of Stouts, Irish Red Ale, maybe some Saisons very well aged now.

I have two labelled "155 Mocha Porter" and "Red Earth 6.4%" - are these yours Danscraftbeer?

Get drinking fellas...

Drink Now:
5. droid - Nefarious Villain; A three way blend of Stouts - drink now or let age, whatever you like
8.GrumpyPaul - Grapefruit Sour. (drink now) [Note there are 15 sours labelled 8 and 5 of the American Rye in this case labelled 8a)

Drink Later:

1. Idzy
2. Husky
6. Midnight brew - Son of Zeus IPA blended with Harvest IPA
10. Shortybronx
11. Whiteferret
15. Tahoose
16. Danscraftbeer

One thing that Martin and I were talking about around the fire is that one of the valuable things about the swap is to get feedback on your beer. Kind of like some pre-competition constructive criticism and it's free. Obviously we want to promote as many people to be swapping as possible.

Based on this, it would be good to give some feedback either in the form of BCJP sort of style or something like:
Alignment with Style -
Overall impressions -

Cheers fellas and happy brewing!

Idzy

Get drinking fellas...

Drink Now:
5. droid - Nefarious Villain; A three way blend of Stouts - drink now or let age, whatever you like

Drink Later:
6. Midnight Brew, IPA - drink end of July.

1. Idzy
2. Husky
10. Shortybronx
11. Whiteferret
15. Tahoose
16. Danscraftbeer

I'm not in the swap per say, but Droid handed me one of his extras as a thank you.
5. Nafarious Villan
There's no stated ABV, BE WARNED IT HAS SOME KICK.
Definitely within the stout category but perhaps on the edge of RIS. Bold fruity cherry flavour maybe slightly cloying. The roast and chocolatey flavors are quite smooth allowing the friuty flavour to come through. I originally thought the beer was under carbed slightly but the cab level works well with the body and flavours. Put the evening aside for this one, most certainly worth it.

Thanks Droid really nice drop

MJ

Get drinking fellas...

Drink Now:

Drink Later:
11. Whiteferret - British Strong Ale (Give it a couple of months say September)

1. Idzy
2. Husky
10. Shortybronx
15. Tahoose
16. Danscraftbeer

I'm not in the swap per say, but Droid handed me one of his extras as a thank you.
5. Nafarious Villan
There's no stated ABV, BE WARNED IT HAS SOME KICK.
Definitely within the stout category but perhaps on the edge of RIS. Bold fruity cherry flavour maybe slightly cloying. The roast and chocolatey flavors are quite smooth allowing the friuty flavour to come through. I originally thought the beer was under carbed slightly but the cab level works well with the body and flavours. Put the evening aside for this one, most certainly worth it.

Thanks Droid really nice drop

MJ

Kind words mate thanks,

It is probably worth letting it age (thanks to those). The cherry part, 35% of the volume approx... is two months old and around 6.5%abv, the Standard RIS (35%) is 7 months old and is 9.9%abv and the Bourbon Barrel RIS is 24 months old and a bit of an unknown but over 10.8

I've got half a commercial keg left (I thought at one point it was all in the swap but no. There's every chance this swaps beer will be blended with it for next years swap. I have a Golden Strong fermenting out on a blend of two Belgian yeasts and might throw this on the cake.

The Bourbon RIS had the wee heavy (from XMAS in July 15) added as part of the original blend (20%)

Just so people can make a call on when to drink it, cheers eh

Get drinking fellas...

16. Danscraftbeer (if I can rustle up 24 bottles of beer, I didn't plan etc :oops:) I should be able to although they are just my standard house ale stuff, a couple of Stouts, Irish Red Ale.

I have two labelled "155 Mocha Porter" and "Red Earth 6.4%" - are these yours Danscraftbeer?

Yep: Mocha is a Coffee/Chocolate dry Robust Porter at 6.7%. FG = 1.009 but checked my notes and apparently I back sweetened with Lactose in the keg before bottling.

H+D Porter (High and Dry Porter at 8.2%) Yeah I know its way too high and dry for a Porter. Plugged into beersmith as a Baltic Porter that finished at 1.010. :eek: Tasting one now tho and its low carbonation that is kinda appropriate maybe.

Red Earth is a Red Ale with Red Earth hops at 6.4%. I'd brew with more hops in hindsight.

Dry Session is the House Ale. Some details on the tag with home grown Victoria bittering, a little mosaic and Azacca late and Home grown Cascade for hop stand. Its a split batch and this split was diluted to make up a 40l ferment. So light and dry I lost the hop bomb character but hey its sessionable IMO.

I'm leaving my swappies for a week in the fridge to give them the best credit? My patience probably wont last that long actually but I'll give them ahh, at least a few days in the fridge first? :drinkingbeer:

Edited: after checking notes.

Last edited:
Just to add some MYSTERY to this swap I had 2 bottles (I think) unlabelled. Because I reused old swap bottles they probably have labels on them from an old swap. Mysterious!!!!!!!!! Trust me though you'll know it's mine.

Get drinking fellas...

Drink Now:
4. AJ80 - grapefruit pale ale (Ready - drink fresh)

Drink Later:

1. Idzy
2. Husky
10. Shortybronx
15. Tahoose
16. Danscraftbeer

Drink Now:
4. AJ80 - grapefruit pale ale (Ready - drink fresh)

Drink Later:
12. Laxation - Stout, American style. Bottled early June, but has been conditioning in a cold room. Will be better in a while.

1. Idzy
2. Husky
10. Shortybronx
15. Tahoose
16. Danscraftbeer

No. Mofox's Heady Topperish.

Ive never had a Heady Topper - so I have nothing to compare to.

As a Double IPA - Awesome job Mick

Aroma - sensational fruity
Appearance - Golden Colour - bit on the cloudy. Nice white head.
Flavour - you can taste that this is a big beer - definitely a bit of alcohol on there. But pretty nicely balances. As it warmed the alcohol became more obvious - so for my tastes better drunk on the cold side.

Overall - great job Mick.

Recipe please

From what I see, how does anyone stay sober at this event? Or perhaps no one does. Certainly appears to be lots of fun (after the hard work)

4 - AJ80 Grapefruit Pale

Pours a light caramel colour, hazy appearance - could be my bad or intended
head hangs on, not abundant or rocky, a little thin maybe from the acidity of the grapefruit addition, laces glass though fades quickly when the glass is sat, probably the same thing going on
fruity/yeasty aroma, not detectable grapefruit as an aroma
acidic mouthfeel, balls up and runs to the back of the mouth quickly, I like this acidity but more when it balls up in the mouth a little further forward, so for me probably a bit sour/bitter
blindfolded I'd guess grapefruit as the fruit in the aftertaste

overall impression
was expecting a more up-front grapefruit experience from ya AJ
it's one of those beers that causes you to pontificate, any time that happens it's good
I'd love to chat more about using natural ingredients to produce the acidity mate
well balanced - well put together

if only you hadn't refused the tag

hehe

Latest posts

Back