Vic 2017 Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks v much for posting the recipes!

Hey, aren't the salts around the wrong way?
Shouldn't MgSO4 be the smallest addition of the 3, with either CaCl or CaSO4 being the highest, and the other of those 2 the 2nd highest?

My understanding is that you do most of the heavy lifting with the 2 calcium salts, and the MgSO4 is just to get the Mg up to a decent level (like >5ppm).

No biggie, just thought I'd check

I get where you’re coming from. I looked at that and thought WTF!! I went back to Bru’n Water to check the results. Bru’n Water seems to have a different take on it. Bru’n Water seems to rely on MgSO4 for its sulfate additions more than I’ve seen before.

I have thought that way as well, but I’m finding with the Bru’n Water profiles, I’m getting more solid bitterness, and Mg profile doesn’t get above 15ppm. I know there are some ways Martin Brungard’s assertions about water treatment differ from John Palmer’s. I decided to give it a go and am happy with the results.

I may yet go back the other way, or rather, apply the different ways according to the beer I’m brewing. Sometimes I want a soft bitterness, and sometimes I want something a bit more Stone-like. I’ve been trying to get Stone-like bittering for some time, and to my palate, the Bru’n Water profiles are getting me there.

EDIT: Actually, I relied on BeerSmith’s calculator, using the Bru’n Water profile. BeerSmith’s mineral calculator comes up with slightly higher amounts. I’ll go back to Bru’n Water this arvo, but it’s not a major difference.

Last edited:
It’s a bit minty, fresh sorta tasting. I don’t mind it and recently did a German pils with it used late and that turned out quite nice indeed. I haven’t used FF but think it would complement the cascade well

I get where you’re coming from. I looked at that and thought WTF!! I went back to Bru’n Water to check the results. Bru’n Water seems to have a different take on it. Bru’n Water seems to rely on MgSO4 for its sulfate additions more than I’ve seen before.
All good.
Kinda funny, I thought I *was* following Martin/Bru'n 's philosophy with the primary use of the calcium salts (plus manticle et al). [emoji1]
I might recheck some of Bru'n 's theory/advice when I get a chance, then - I'd definitely find his approach & spreadsheet to be the best both quantitatively & qualitatively.
I might need to reconsider my sulfate source.

I've never used Northern Brewer for anything, does anyone know if it would work well (ie not be shit) with these?

Honestly, since the Falconer’s Flight is a blend, I’d just go with that on its own, unless you want to boost the citrus aspect. Then I’d add the Cascade. I myself would go 3/4 FF and 1/4 Cascade

Quick question:
There is some Caramalt in the recipe. I notice it says Simpsons, but Clever only seems to stock Bairds.
It's not a big issue, but I'm wondering which it is, as there's a fair difference in the EBC (~35 EBC for simpsons cf 65 EBC for Bairds)?

Thanks for the recipe and just thinking out loud here.
Style as Red IPA. Or Red ale etc. The bitterness ratio is low as would be. I still have home grown 90g Red Earth and 140g Goldings. I may throw some, or all of them into the cube to help it up to the bitterness I'm used to. With some unique yeast maybe even Red Ale wpl004? or british, or, or something other than standards.
I,ve hogged so much on home grown Cascade and Chinook I feel like giving it a miss or it will taste like all my other beers ha..

Yeah, hop as you will. Bittering is to 30 IBU so you can supplement bittering with cube additions. I reckon the Goldings and Red Earth would be an interesting combination. I merely chose Red IPA as it’s the closest style given to the intended wort produced. For me, I’m not hugely interested in BJCP style classifications. To me this beer will be a hoppy amber, plain and simple. I may have a crack at this with the White Labs Burton Ale. Lovely yeast.

my keg fridge is in pieces so i have the keg king 4-way manifold sitting around & ready to go. is there any use bringing this along or are we all good for gas connections?

my keg fridge is in pieces so i have the keg king 4-way manifold sitting around & ready to go. is there any use bringing this along or are we all good for gas connections?
Unless anyone else is bringing a jockey box, I’d say leave it

I've got enough splitters and stuff to cover, threw in spare reg, and soda stream kit, we should be good. Cam left you a voice mail! what time you getting to Clever, John and I have some gear to pick up, so we may as well give you guys a hand with the malt etc.

T’was two nights before the Victorian case swap
It was dark, quiet and rainy all around
The home brewers all pack their things
To make their way to old Croydon Town

Inside the dark and quiet house
The pizza dough for Friday night rises
You see fermentation is the key
To all our much-awarded surprises

The keezer is full, the fullest it’s been
With a fresh coat of chalkboard paint
Beers to cool down from this humid weather
The brewers will not hesitate

We hope to see the faces of folks, faces of new and of old
Bringing beers and styles and people together
Creating that fluidly gold

Foraging their bottle supplies
In hopes to bring their mightiest Drop
Mardoo’s Amber is sure to be tasty
Any which way you hop.

The night is late and now has come time to rest this weary brain
For tomorrow I’m meeting with a Clever Bloke
Just before 10am, to mill all his grain

So come along brewers from far and wide
We’ll talk, we’ll laugh, we’ll chew
Be sure to bring your brewing pride
To the house of Midnight Brew

The car, she be loaded and ready to go! May have to strap young John to the bull bar for the return journey, but hey, he won't know!!! Tie some antlers to his head and even the cops will be good with it.

see you guys soon!

Latest posts

Back