Vic 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mofox1

Wubba lubba dub dub!
Reaction score
You know the drill. Drink it, taste it and insta-AHB it.

Update with your offering and if when we can drink it!

Swaps:

1. Idzy
2. Mardoo - Treacle Stout - Drink now or later. Now, the treacle is interesting with the hops. Later, all will balance out.
3. Technobabble66 - Rezza Bitter (WLP-059) 4.6%, drink now, but maybe leave an extra week.
4. DJ_L3thAL - Macleod Bitter (WLP059) 4.8%, drink now.
5. JB - Sticke 'em up! 6.5% drink 2018
6. Micbrew
9. AJ80 - a sour in the rye (Oud Bruin with rye). Drink from mid-February 2018. Should age well for up to 3-4 years if you're patient.
11. Midnight Brew - House Ale (Chinook flowers and Belgian Ardennes) - ready.
12. malt mule Offensive summer stout 8%
15. Mofox1 - Blended Stout thing... ~7 or 8%. Drink now or later.
17. droid - Belgian Wit
18. Laxation - Xmas Ale, 6.7%. OK to drink now, but intended for Christmas onwards
20. Malt Junkie- Raspberry sour 5.5%
21. TSMILL - half biere de garde 7.5%, half saison 8%
22. Dr_Rocks - Igneous American Pale Ale (US-05) 4.5%, drink from 9th December (will bottle 18th Nov)
23. Danscraftbeer - Summer of 59. Draught so its good to go.

Swaps:

1. Idzy
2. Mardoo - Treacle Stout - Drink now or later. Now, the treacle is interesting with the hops. Later, all will balance out.
3. Technobabble66 - Rezza Bitter (WLP-059) 4.6%, drink now, but maybe leave an extra week.
6. Micbrew
9. AJ80 - a sour in the rye (Oud Bruin with rye). Drink from mid-February 2018. Should age well for up to 3-4 years if you're patient.
17. droid - Belgian Wit @ 4.46% : ready, drink as your first beer for the day on a hot day
18. Laxation - Xmas Ale, 6.7%. OK to drink now, but intended for Christmas onwards
22. Dr_Rocks - Igneous American Pale Ale (US-05) 4.5%, drink from 9th December (will bottle 18th Nov)

Swaps:

1. Idzy
6. Micbrew
17. droid - Belgian Wit
21. TSMILL - half biere de garde 7.5% (21A), half saison 8% (21B) - Drink today

Last edited:

Damn - great thread idea Mick. Better have a beer 'ay.

Okay, have a couple then...
15. Mofox1 - Blended Stout thing. Wh0oaa that's ballsy like a swap brewer. Roast and choc in abundance... there's nothing subtle here so I don't have to use smart words so I can sound more photosynthesis.

- Maybe it was ready, and maybe it wasn't who can tell?! Well, it was, and a decent tipple it was too. I got the saison, and while not high on the funk, there was a tasty bready overtone finishing with a slightly tart finish. Plenty dry with some fruity aromas going every which way. Thanks a heap for this one!

23. Danscraftbeer - Summer of 59. Draught so its good to go. - DAN! Love it... Nothing too complicated here (unless it's subtle... remember I don't do that) just good, throw back drinking beer. Light(ish) body, great yeasty aroma, will pair well with a pie.

Posted Today at 6:40 PM

Swaps:

1. Idzy
6. Micbrew Citra smash 5% drink before Chrissy
17. droid - Belgian Wit @ 4.46% : ready, drink as your first beer for the day on a hot day

Swaps:

1. Idzy
12. malt mule Offensive summer stout 8% Probably best mid winter,
20. Malt Junkie- Raspberry sour 5.5% Ready now, or wait

1. Idzy - NullNVoid Trial Brew (Rusty Rye Pale Ale 1.052-1.005) - Check cap is tight, drink in 4 weeks.
12. malt mule Offensive summer stout 8% Probably best mid winter,
20. Malt Junkie- Raspberry sour 5.5% Ready now, or wait

They could have at least pulled the post-it off. Was that you TB? ;)
Don't think it was me, especially as I didn't receive Wiggie's Hater's Wheat. However my stickers/labels can sometimes fall off, which made me wonder whether it could've been mine and the remaining number on the bottle matched Wiggie's from the last swap (if that makes sense?).
I put sticky tape over the top of my stickers, so hopefully mine will stay on.

ignore any scribblings on the side of the number 17 bottles and just go with the # 17 on the cap

Clarity is insane!!! How long has this been in the keg? My two batches with 059 seem to retain some kind of cloudiness which doesn’t drop with temperature and time (yet).

Aroma I can only describe as the good part of a Kit and Kilo beers twang. It’s what I’ve found in my 059 beers and wonder if it’s due to the sugar, the yeasts work on the sugar or just the yeast even if it was all malt. Slight bubblegum type note in there too.

Flavour is great, well balanced, nice amount of bitterness. Guessing only 60min hops?

Great brew Dan, enjoying it under the aircon on this hot night. Thanks for sharing [emoji106]

IMG_1512040882.778465.jpg

Clarity is insane!!! How long has this been in the keg? My two batches with 059 seem to retain some kind of cloudiness which doesn’t drop with temperature and time (yet).

Aroma I can only describe as the good part of a Kit and Kilo beers twang. It’s what I’ve found in my 059 beers and wonder if it’s due to the sugar, the yeasts work on the sugar or just the yeast even if it was all malt. Slight bubblegum type note in there too.

Flavour is great, well balanced, nice amount of bitterness. Guessing only 60min hops?

Great brew Dan, enjoying it under the aircon on this hot night. Thanks for sharing [emoji106]

View attachment 110083

Glad you like DJ. It was in the keg for 3 weeks but chilled for the last week. The first keg was drunk before that and it never cleared in that time even after 2+ weeks chilled I was convinced that it was never going to clear so it surprised me when it finally did.
This is the recipe What are you brewing in 2017 ? < Note the plan for it to drink over Xmas haha. Its all gone. I'm making another batch this weekend. :foammug:

Nice, didn’t notice or pick the flaked maize imparting any flavour!
Did it actually finish at 1.008 with a 69C mash temp?

Yeah good point mofox. Esky mash starts at 69c slowly declining overnight. By the time of sparging the next day I think it was around 47c. Call it, backward mashing?
There's wayward brewing so why not backwards brewing?

Latest posts

Back