Vic 2015 Xmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black n Tan said:
Yerr that seems to high. out of those two I would go 1272 to finish, as the saison will take it too low.
Just took some 1272 out of the freezer.

mudd said:
I'd consider leaving it VP up to you but you started out with a pretty high OG.
I guess it depends on whether the OG was 1.052 (as one person measured) or 1.055 (as measured at the brewery). My previous clone went from 1.052 down to 1.013, so I think 1.020 is a little high and would be cloying. My personal preference would be to add an active starter of the originally pitched yeast to see if it will drop a few more points.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping I can get it down at least 5 more points. I've got some of the original yeast frozen so will get a 1L starter going from that.

Finally decided on what I'll do. Loved it so much I don't wanna F with it too much, so gonna do one cube with WLP802 and the other with WLP940 (something new I have been meaning to try and reckon it's perfect for this one). Hopefully have them pitched early Feb!

so my brew has got down to about 1.017 and doesnt really want to budge, all the usual tricks deployed with little results.

What are others terminal gravities?

I used wyeast Danish lager and also stopped at 1.017. The tast test was a smooth roast. Carbing up now. Works out to 5% and 69ish attenuation.

1.017 for me with Wyeast 2124. A little higher than I anticipated but it certainly tastes very nice and not sweet.

Kegged on Saturday and had family dinner tonight where we went through 3 litres of Fleku that wasn't even fully carbonated. Beautiful stuff.

Gotta get off my ass and build my starters!!!

I'll have to double check my notes when I get home but I used that German method where you build one starter. Made a starter enough for one cube. Aerated and pitched. I think around 16 hours later I then mixed in the second cube so that I ended up with two jerrys of 1 part wort and 1 part fermenting wort. It's the only way I can fit two FV's in my fridge. 5 days at 13C then rise to 18C for another 5 days, then -1C for 10 days and keg.

1 starter, 2 FV's ang kegs, 3 very happy consumers at dinner.

Mine finished at 1018 with wyeast 1388. It is carbed and ready to go. Early samples are very nice. Full bodied touch roasty not sweet. I'm planning on using it as a post cricket celebration ale on Saturday.

Just got back from a month in Cambodia so mine has been in the keg untouched for 6 weeks. Really good now and not even close to starting the other keg. Glad to hear that others had a high FG as well ( I was sure that I pitched the right amount of yeast but started to think I f'd it up). ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1455524559.399971.jpg

Looks the good VP!

I've just pitched mine with Budvar WLP802 yeast tonight, at 6C. Set fridge to 9C so will let it naturally rise to that overnight. Interested to see how the lag time goes with a cold pitch haven't employed this method before with lagers. I forgot to take a gravity sample though, will make sure I do with my second cube! Got a Mexican Lager WLP940 starter to build tomorrow night (got 1L settled in fridge, ready for a 2.5L final step). Keen to taste this it smelled amazeballs tipping the cube in.

PS. Yes I'm trying to flood the forum with the with 'amazeballs'.

So my first two cubes have fermented out, bottle conditioned and sampled. First went straight up with W34/70 and the second with good old US-05 and dry hopped with Mandarina Bavaria. Surprisingly different beers with the ale version quite similar to a stout (pronounced roastyness) and the lager very clean and crisp. Quite happy with both to be honest and glad that they are so different.

Now for the third cube...forgive me Black and Tan, but this was pitched last night with some WY3031 slurry (saison/Brett blend) and will eventually be aged on port soaked French oak for something a bit different. Have a fondness for dark/black saisons so keen to see how this will turn out in a few months.

Kegged my two last night also. Budvar yeast finished at 1.020 and the Mexican lager at 1.019. Tasted fantasmic. Carbing for 24 hours at 3bar in the hopes I get to have a sneaky sample tonight or tomorrow night before a lagering period in the keg for about a month.

AJ80 said:
Now for the third cube...forgive me Black and Tan, but this was pitched last night with some WY3031 slurry (saison/Brett blend) and will eventually be aged on port soaked French oak for something a bit different. Have a fondness for dark/black saisons so keen to see how this will turn out in a few months.
So 3.5 weeks later and the saison/Brett cube is down to 1.006 - take that unfermentable sugars!! Just started soaking some French oak in port and will add in a few days. The fruitiness from the Brett is melding with this beer really well and could end up being my favourite cube of the three I've fermented.

MartinOC said:
So, should the T-Shirts be:

"Bummock at Bandicoot", or

"Bummock with Bandicoot"?

Can we use/incorporate their logo/artwork ('might be a good promo./gratuitous plug for them) for the shirts?

I assume that decision would be Tracey's?

How many are we looking-at?

Colour?
Did we ever get a goer on these t-shirts? Just thinking as the next swap is nearly upon us?

Sooooo, I've made a starter for this using WLP802. Going to put it down tonight. Having never fermenter a lager before, whats the go? Looks like 10-12 degrees for a week and then raise to 18 degrees for a week then cold crash?

Am I on the right track or is the raising to 18 unnecessary?

Cheers!

Need a little help guys if I can.

I have been fermenting this with WLP802. Made a starter and according to Mr Malty I should have had enough yeast. Started at 1.052. It's been there for 2 weeks at 11 degrees but has only come down to 1.029. 4 days ago it was 1.032. So it looks like it is still coming down but slowly. Could it just be taking a while?

Any steps I can take? More yeast, some gentle whirring, increasing temperature? Don't know what other information would be helpful.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back