VIC 2013 July Case Swap - tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tasted one of the swap beers & was devastated when I couldn't get past the first few mouthfuls. It was truly horrid. Turned out to be a dirty bottle. Thank God I had another one (percs of hosting!) coz it is actually one of my favourites so far. Loved it.

(no it wasn't technobabbles beer, which I only just reviewed)

20. Micbrew - Stone and Wood Pacific ale
I was a little concerned about this one as I could see some yeast around the neck/cap. I needn't have worried.
Crystal bright copper brew. Clean fruity aroma and flavour, well balanced against the malt.
Well made beer and very enjoyable. Cheers!

3. Fikuss – Dunkelweißen: Never had this sort of beer before. Isn't it meant to be dark? Anyhow, very light colour low carb sort of winey for me. Grew on me as I chiseld into the bottle. This would be a summer beer for me. I'm converted will try another when I get the chance.

11. Yob - English something bastardised. Wasn't a fan of the english style beers till now. Wow, is that what malt tastes like. What would be a good commercial example of this? This a very "thick" beer for me. Like porridge in a glass (I like porridge). Delicious, thank you.

1. Manticle - Brown Porter : Like I said before I'm coming around to browns and this was another fine example. Another pro beer I hope to start getting my beers tasting this fine. I appreciated opening at a warmer temp of 12o. Perfect carb. Thank you, great beer.

I'm sorry for not being very descriptive, I just want to show my appreciation.

#22 technobabble Two fat ducks golden ale

Pours almost creamy like, great level of carbonation for me, nice lacing head that lasts down the glass. Cloudy in appearance (perhaps chill haze?) and golden to deep golden brown in colour. Mouthfeel is amazing, so incredibly sessionable and balanced. Having never tried a DSGA grain bill its now on the to brew list. I dont get a huge aroma from this beer but ive probably left it too long to age and should have had it 3-4 weeks ago. There is still a hint of that resin character that plays so well in golden ales/apas to aid in hop charatcter. The flavour in one word is awesome. Smooth, balanced, its got the malty backbone which I love and so many apas/golden ales lack.

Its so hard to put the glass down.

Good job on the label, great job on the beer and thank you for that experience.

17. GrumpyPaul - Cherry Ripe Porter

Couldn't taste the cherries
More sessionable than I expected
Nice lacing around the glass
Tasted more like a beer than a porter with notable bitterness

Yeah i agree. Didnt turn out very cherry or ripe like... Nothing like it was meant to be. But i like it, very drinkable.

Thanks for the feedback

Just a side note, I also drank 17 and after letting it warm up a bit got a huge cherry hit, it came through a bit sour and I was quite impressed. I really liked it, roasty bitterness up front with a cherry sour at the end. Maybe it's about temperature.

Wife wasn't getting naked for this one, but she still insists that she would bathe in Charst's Saison if given the opportunity....

12. Midnight Brew
 - American Brown Ale (Wy Greenbelt) - Drinking fine. Bottled 12.7.13

Drinking this straight from the shed. Very well balance, no bitterness, nice aroma, brilliant brown to almost red colour, no head or lacing just a beer you could sit back a smash a heep.

Great work mate. Recipe please!

Wolfman said:
12. Midnight Brew

Drinking this straight from the shed. Very well balance, no bitterness, nice aroma, brilliant brown to almost red colour, no head or lacing just a beer you could sit back a smash a heep.

Great work mate. Recipe please!
Thanks mate! Glad you enjoyed it. Recipe is post #20 http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/15737-style-of-the-week-30507-american-brown/

Got a spare cube of it too so going to ferment soon and keg and be drinking for september

#2 Charst - Saison

Never tried a saison before but here goes.

Pours spritsy then settles to a cream head, crystal clear. Aroma of a peary possibly cider type of character. Guessing from a belgian yeast. Get a quiet refreshed mouthfeel from it, like I should be sitting in the sun late arvo and have a few of these then a nap. Flavour is peppery/spicy slightly tart reminds me of WR white ale. Overall a complex but quenching SAISON-able (haha see what I did there) beer. I imagine the Belgian yeasts throw all the complex characters as I cant put my nose or tongue on hops or grain.

Great beer mate and thanks again, the Belgian styles are opening for me with another 3 in my swap beers to taste cant wait! I'm down to my last 10. How many weeks are we out from another swap?

Midnight Brew said:
#2 Charst - Saison

Never tried a saison before but here goes.

Pours spritsy then settles to a cream head, crystal clear. Aroma of a peary possibly cider type of character. Guessing from a belgian yeast. Get a quiet refreshed mouthfeel from it, like I should be sitting in the sun late arvo and have a few of these then a nap. Flavour is peppery/spicy slightly tart reminds me of WR white ale. Overall a complex but quenching SAISON-able (haha see what I did there) beer. I imagine the Belgian yeasts throw all the complex characters as I cant put my nose or tongue on hops or grain.

Great beer mate and thanks again, the Belgian styles are opening for me with another 3 in my swap beers to taste cant wait! I'm down to my last 10. How many weeks are we out from another swap?
Cheers Cam,

With the Mrs flying out on holiday the same weekend as the swap ive pretty much smashed everything.

before I start ,
thanks to breakbeer Glen for hosting and also dropping beers over to mine :D

last Saturday night both JB and I began to educate our palates
there were some amazing beers to be tasted and again this evening we attempted a few more
I will beging with tonights tasting session and JB will add last Saturdays session notes

so to begin with

# 6 Black IPA breakbeers
wow ...aromatic ,great colour (black) funnily enough ... roast flavours abound good mouthfeel , lacing was good ,well carbonated
body was good and this would be a great winter sessional beer ..well thought out beer with many good points
we both enjoyed this style of beer

#15 Pirates IPA Edak
big fruity aroma , great colour well carbed this was a golden in colour
again good lacing around the glass , and massive floral notes ,nice clear beer

#19 Grainer
Good clean colour , very wheaty was close to hoegarten style (JB added )
taste was sour ..ish appreaciate it for what it is . but not what id be looking for in a beer
but that's ok ....we all have differing views and tastes

thanks again to everbody for offering up their brews for healthy and constructive reviews
well done peeps :beerbang: bottoms up

cheers mick

22. Technobabble - Two Fat Ducks Golden Ale

Golden in colour slightly hazy. Good fruity hoppy aroma but quite subtle.
Nice creamy head, smooth creamy mouthfeel. Enjoyed the beer. Nice one.

19. Grainer Witbier

Darkish yellow to golden in colour. Decent carbonation but very little head retention for some reason.
Certainly getting the citrus and wheat flavours in it but not quite cloudy enough for a Hoergaarden clone.
Might be missing a bit of the wheat yeast flavours through crash chill, filtration or maybe I just didn't stir up the bottom of the bottle enough.

Good one Grainer. Keep at it!

20. micbrew - Stone & Wood Pacific Ale - Ready to drink

What can I say I friken loved it... had it last night.. don't remember much about it.... it went down way to fast . :beerbang: .. LOL ...

I want the recipe .... :chug:

12. Midnight Brew

Really impressed with & am loving drinking this beer!

Beautiful dark colour with red hues when held up to the light, excellent creamy tan head with nice mouthfeel. But, it's the flavours I'm really loving. I'm calling it the Toffee & Toast beer, which are the 2 flavours I'm mainly getting from it & sounds a bit weird but just isn't

Excellent beer

#6 breakbeer - Black IPA - The Host

Black. Black. So incredibly black! Has a great aroma the cuts through the colour. Fantastic flavour that has layers of chocolate, roasty bitterness but not over the top, american hops (cascade possibly?), and a slight very slight sweetness. Then it hit me, only got one longneck so best make the most of it. Wish I consumed this straight away I can only imagine what it would have been like fresh! I also love how its IPA-ish when cold stoutish when warmed up. Loved it mate cheers.

This really is a great beer for winter. To me it ticks all the boxes of:
Stout colour - tick
Slight roastyness - tick
Roast bitterness - tick
IPA Flavour - tick
Aroma - tick
Sessionable - tick

It's only appropiate by my forum name that I buy some midnight wheat and give this one a crack.

Grainer said:
3. Fikuss – Dunkelweißen - Ready to drink

So when will this be ready.... will be soooo disappointed if it is flat.. This was the one I was looking forward to ... :(
It's ready mate. Unfortunately the lack of carb was not due to it not being old enough.
I think I f**ked up and used the wrong size dextrose spoon when bottling them up.

Give it a try mate.

4. Meathead - DSGA

Drank this one the other night and quite enjoyed it. Quite dark for a golden ale ;)

Very tasty robust porter or stout you have there. Not too roasty or bitter. Nice thick, smooth mouthfeel.
Good carbonation, head laces the glass well.

Latest posts

Back