VIC 2013 July Case Swap - tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
BTW, just ran a few glasses out through the Sparkler tap of the swap day Stout... very nice gentlemen, very nice indeed. I suspect it wont last long at all.. just out of the FV tonight and force carbed it so if it had time (which it doesnt) it'd settle right down nicely.

attachicon.gif
Stout.JPG
didn't muck about yob! I just flicked mine to CC today i'll bottle it next weekend. what did yours finish at? Wy3864 dropped to 1012

I used WLP004 (Irish Ale). It dropped fairly quickly to 1018, and has stayed about there for the last several days, even though the airlock still occasionally bubbles.
Wtf??
I fly out on Tuesday, and i'm still not sure if it's attenuated enough to stick into a cube to CC (& a few bottles) while i'm gone for 3 weeks... :unsure:
Btw, the sample tastes great!!
PS: Going to tackle the swaps in September when i return. :beerbang:

21. JB - PCP : Very nice lager. Would like this in summer. Perfect carb and bitterness for my taste.

18. Shane S - Sparkling Pale Ale with Galaxy: Man this if my footy beer. This is a session beer for me. Loved it.

5. Whiteferret - Damn Damn Damn. Was making an Irish stew and needed some stout. Used this in my stew. I'm spewing as I only had one glass left to enjoy. Stew turned out sensational too.
Looking forward to swap brew if it gets close to this.

6.BB Black Nelson IPA: This was one tasty brew. I've just bottled one similar if it gets close this I'll be stoked. Thank you great drop.

9. Wolfman MSF: Are you taking the piss Wolfman. I didn't want any favourites but I tell yours is nudging its head up. Is this a porter.....Frking loved it!

12. Midnight Brew ABA: I couldn't find a description for an ABA. Who cares. Brown Ales weren't my style till I met this one. Now I'm keeping an open mind. This is brewed like a pro. Inspired now to make a brown ale. Another very good beer.

technobabble66 said:
I used WLP004 (Irish Ale). It dropped fairly quickly to 1018, and has stayed about there for the last several days, even though the airlock still occasionally bubbles.
Wtf??
I fly out on Tuesday, and i'm still not sure if it's attenuated enough to stick into a cube to CC (& a few bottles) while i'm gone for 3 weeks... :unsure:
Btw, the sample tastes great!!
PS: Going to tackle the swaps in September when i return. :beerbang:
Check out what percentage range Irish ale should attenuate on the wyeast site. 3864 unibroue yeast tops out at 79% and after two weeks primary 1012 was exactly that.

10. Shane R Black Saison: Mine was a gusher too. Didn't stop me though, just left the bottle in the sink while I enjoyed a glass. Saison is new to me, different but I liked it.

15. Edak - PAIPA : APA's are my current favorite style and would of thought of this as such. Didn't get the hopps of a typical IPA. But whats in a name anyway. Excellent drop. Good Pale Ale.

Tried my first one tonight.....I am not an expert at describing beers but here I go.

19. Grainer`s Hoegarden wannabe.

Really nice beer but I dont get Hoegarden at all. Im no expert but shouldnt Hoegarden have orange n coriander flavour?

That aside... Lovely amber colour. Aroma was something like honey - veryy nice. Carbonation on the low side. White head that dissapated very quickly - no lacing. Very nice sessionable beer - but not a hoegarden to me.

#11 Yob - English *******

Beautiful lacing down the glass from top to bottom. Deep copper in colour, great clarity, didnt get a cloudy glass at all. Cant quiet put my nose on the aroma but I love it, seems like something earthy with a little bit of spice I've brewed with before but less intense (to your standards haha). Carbonation is a tad high for me but it is a ******* version so will treat it as such. Has a nice firm bitterness to it, not aggressive but enough to know you're drinking a real beer. I dont get a huge malt backbone but even then its still bitter/filling.

Overall good beer mate but you've tainted my taste buds to love your AAAPA more! Future predictions for an xmas swap: AAAPA, house grain bill, 5 hop varieties, greenbelt.

9. Wolfman
- Malty Skunk Fart

I've got 4 words for this......sen say shun al

Recipe please

All good it's on page 7 will definitely be brewing this

Ha! Cheers mate, I was a bit worried I overdid it with a styrians dry hop but think it ended up working, it all sort of plays well.

Was Fuggles and ekg throughout the boil and I've not put styrians with both of those before so glad it ended up decent

Cheers

21. JB - PCP : Very nice lager. Would like this in summer. Perfect carb and bitterness for my taste.

Quite refreshing, head dissipates quite quickly but creamy in colour.. very bitter for my taste buds but I can appreciate the beer. Not my style of beer but I actually liked it for what it was.. Beautiful amber colour.

Overall I liked it

GrumpyPaul said:
Tried my first one tonight.....I am not an expert at describing beers but here I go.

19. Grainer`s Hoegarden wannabe.

Really nice beer but I dont get Hoegarden at all. Im no expert but shouldnt Hoegarden have orange n coriander flavour?

That aside... Lovely amber colour. Aroma was something like honey - veryy nice. Carbonation on the low side. White head that dissapated very quickly - no lacing. Very nice sessionable beer - but not a hoegarden to me.
Totally agree with u Grumpy.. .. it loses the corriander and orange... otherwise refreshing

Damn said:
9. Wolfman MSF: Are you taking the piss Wolfman. I didn't want any favourites but I tell yours is nudging its head up. Is this a porter.....Frking loved it!

Not taking the piss mate. This is a ripping beer! Glad you enjoyed!
meathead said:
9. Wolfman
- Malty Skunk Fart
I've got 4 words for this......sen say shun al
Recipe please
All good it's on page 7 will definitely be brewing this
Yer mate give it a go. This one is the malty version but you can find the one I ripped it from in the RD.

Glad you enjoyed.

Edit: just having a left over now. Snow White head with a great copper color. Clear as a bell but should be a little more hoppy! I have made this a few times now and it's a favorite not only with myself. "Hey Wolfman where's the skunk fart?"

If you make it I want a bottle!

9: Wolfman: malty skunk fart

Gushes slightly on opening. Pours hazy copper, massive icecream head, good lacing.

Aroma of grass, spice, yeast.
Flavour of sweet malt, lingering smooth bitterness. Flavour slightly reminiscent of cola, some slight dustiness.
Biscuit, caramel, sweet finish.

High carbonation.

I think the gushing might have pushed some of the yeast into my glass affecting the flavour a touch and I think the beer might have not attenuated all the way but nice malt flavours and balance.

Cheers.

Dark Faerytales: Belgian Dark Strong

Pours Hazy dark brown with a vey small head which fades quickly.

Aroma of banana, burnt sugar, toffee, dried fruit. No discernible hops.
Flavour of toffee, dried fruit, raisins, chocolate, plum, red apple.

Finishes very sweet. I'd guess this finished quite high - I've found you really need to work to get high alc dark strongs to finish low but they need a dry finish to balance. Nice complex malt flavours. The red apple I'm guessing is from 1762 wyeast? In my experince this yeast provides a lot of this ester but it fades with conditioning time.

Opened this without knowing what it was. if I'd known dark strong I might have cellared for a bit longer.

Technobabble: DGSA with other hops

Pours cloudy gold with tight white head which fads but leaves a little throughout the glass.
Slightly fruity hop aroma, biscuit and caramel.
Moderate carbonation, full mouthfeel.
Malt flavours of biscuit, light toffee, light, soft bread. Subtle hop flavours of light citrus and passionfruit

Very enjoyable seession beer.

2. Charst Saison

Really enjoyed, Spicey, warm, esters, nice colour and body. It's the wife's favourite so far.
Sorry for the short review but a picture might help.

img20130815_221520.jpg

Edak said:
2. Charst Saison

Really enjoyed, Spicey, warm, esters, nice colour and body. It's the wife's favourite so far.
Sorry for the short review but a picture might help.
Cheers Edak. Wife's Fav? After the responses you've posted to some of the other beers she liked no wonder this review was short :ph34r:

22. Technobabble - Two Fat Ducks Golden Ale

Taste alot like most of the Ales I make, with a slightly different hop profile. Motueka has just been added to my shopping list!

Really nice cloudy golden colour with a tight but thin head. Could drink a bunch of these!

Latest posts

Back