Viability Of Hops Once Thawed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach

brasserie de cancrelat
Reaction score
i pulled some pellets out of the freezer last sat night and was intending to drop them into the boil at flame out. since i had a few brews with a few friends i neglected to drop in the pellets. i still have the pellets on the kitchen bench, obviously well and truly thawed.

My question is will these hops still be OK for use in dry hopping, say this weekend.? Or should I chuck em?

They will be ok....

I'm sure it has probably gone hot/cold/hot/cold etc from when it was grown to the time it got in your freezer..

Will still be sweet as... no worries

another way of asking this is when wouldn't they be OK? ie how long do they last out of the freezer b4 losing their effectiveness in a significant way. There must be some timeline here, otherwise we wouldn't keep em in the freezer.

Unless my research is not good - belgians store their hops in the ceiling of the brewery for a year before use - gets very hot and losses alot of aroma....so a tyear outside temp is not good.

I am sure if i am wrong - someone will enlighten me...

Back