Vessel's For Mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samwise Gamgee

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking of using empty kegs (big pub style) for vessels for boiling, mashing etc.

Do many people use these and if so, what are your thoughts on them?

Does anybody else have any favourite (easily obtainable) type vessels they use?

Cheers,

Hi

I use 3 old cider kegs for HLT. mash tun and kettle. My batch size is limited to what the keg/kettle will hold (36 litres pre-boil), so I have an aluminium kettle that holds 60 litres as well. The kegs are solid and stand up well to wear and tear.

Either kegs or aluminium pots can be used and there isn't a lot of difference in them, except aluminium is easier to work (making holes etc) and distributes heat quicker than SS.

It comes down to making the best of what you have - both will will give you a good result.

Cheers
Pedro

I've been searchin but can't find the answer i'm after although i'm sure i've seen it somewhere before, so hear goes the question again:

What method is best for cutting SS, angle grinder ok?

Cheers,
sam

Thanx fellas!

That was the thread i remeber reading, cheers quincy!!

sam,
i've made my mash tun out of a 50litre keg cladded in wood. It works real well and looks pretty and all, but I think its too damn heavy. Especially when its full of spent grain and your trying to clean it out. If I had a choice, i'd rather use a round picnic cooler for sure. IMG_0118.JPG

vlbaby.

vlbaby. I have thought about cladding my mash tun in wood as well. Did you put something down before the wood (eg a camp mat etc due to the ridges on the keg).

The other thing I was thinking is making a frame for the mash tun so the mash tun can pivot so I can tip the spent grain out.

I use two 50 litre kegs. I mash in taller type of Lion Nathan kegs, to increase grain bed depth and I boil in the shorter fatter type. I will take some pics and post em. I used to use a 55 litre esky but i found that it was a bit to big and i lost a little eff. due to the fact that the grain bed was not deep enough. I just finished insulating the 50 litre keg with 19mm Aeroflex and fitted a Grain & Grape false bottom. Cant wait to try it out.

STEPHEN

I use one of those Keep Cold round 36L coolers. I got mine from Goliath but they are available all over the place.

Mine holds the temperature very well. I usually get no measurable temp loss over a 60-90min mash. That said I don't have the greatest thermometer in the world. It already has the tap hole in so it is easy to add a piece of plumbers thread and hook that up to your home made manifold. My manifold is probably a lot smaller than it should be due to me buying the wrong elbows etc when I was starting out but it still runs very well.

The one downside of this unit is if you want to do multi step mashes. If you want to do more than two rests you are going to start pushing it for volumes and also blowing out the water:grain ratio. So if you want to do a lot of multi rest mashes you are probably best with a mash tun you can heat directly.

Hi Aaron

Do you wrap your 36L Keep Cool cooler in anything to keep the temperature so well? I have one i am going to use but not sure if i should wrap it or not.

Thanks

n00ch,
I too use the Keep cold cooler. No need to wrap.

cheers
roach

I use a 36lt igloo cooler , I did fill the lid with expanding faom as this is not insulated.

I believe it helped , and at a cost of around $5.00 and 2 minutes work why not?

Batz

Ive been using a 10 US Gal Rubbermaid cooler, ~140 bucks, holds mash temp to a degree over 90 minutes :p That with a 10 dollar homemade slotted copper manifold has been working a treat for several years now. Its got handles and is nice and light to empty out the mash.

Thanks for the info. I might give it a go with out wrapping it and if its no good i might go down your road Batz.

Rex said:
Asher said:
I use 3 kegs too. You can check out some old pics of my brewery here.
Search around on this site for heaps more setups...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/gall...Name=album06&s=

Asher for now
[post="44481"][/post]​

Link doesn't seem to work???
[post="79805"][/post]​

Rex,
I think that link is to the photo gallery.
There are upgrades underway at the moment which should restore the gallery.
Plenty of pics should be available when it goes through.
Luke.

guys with the 36L round igloo/rubbermaids....
whats the smallest amount of grain you have mashed in your tun... before your effeciency starts to suffer?

I've done 4kg in a 48L rectangular rubbermaid, 75% efficiency and clear as a bell (batch sparging, ss braid manifold)

Latest posts

Back